What are you learning at the moment?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Jess Phillips

Re: What are you learning at the moment?

Post by Jess Phillips » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:22 pm

jostrat wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:25 am
Prelude BWV 998. As I don't Have a lot of free time it should make me busy a long time...
Good luck and have fun! That is such a beautiful piece that's definitely on my distant future to-do list.
Cordoba C7 (experimenting with strings)
Godin ACS-SA

Archibal

Post by Archibal » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:49 am

Flawiler63 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:23 pm
Quando la guitarra baila by Fréderick Mesnier, bought from his website. A lively piece, enjoyable to play (and quite cool, according to my son...).
I did bought this “cool” piece way back (3 years ago, maybe) but have not the courage to start playing it. I’m afraid that it could be a tough piece to learn. What is your opinion – easy, medium, difficult? I have played guitar for 10 years, almost daily.

Flawiler63

Post by Flawiler63 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:10 am

Report this post Quote
Post by Archibal » Wednesday 13 June 2018, 09:49 am
Flawiler63 wrote: ↑Thursday 24 May 2018, 16:23 pm
Quando la guitarra baila by Fréderick Mesnier, bought from his website. A lively piece, enjoyable to play (and quite cool, according to my son...).
I did bought this “cool” piece way back (3 years ago, maybe) but have not the courage to start playing it. I’m afraid that it could be a tough piece to learn. What is your opinion – easy, medium, difficult? I have played guitar for 10 years, almost daily.
HI Archibal

I would say it is of (upper) medium difficulty. The (annoying) lack of fingering for the left hand in the score does not make it any easier so I had to check the tab version. But the main stumbling block is probably speed (and sometimes the rhythm). Just start very slowly, don't give up and you will get there. It really is a cool piece.

Hope this helps
Christian

Pajarillo

Post by Pajarillo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:39 am

"SARANDI" by Carmelo Rizzuti!
By the way, does anybody know the date of death of Carmelo Rizzuti???

Archibal

Post by Archibal » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:14 am

Flawiler63 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:10 am
Report this post Quote
Post by Archibal » Wednesday 13 June 2018, 09:49 am
Flawiler63 wrote: ↑Thursday 24 May 2018, 16:23 pm
HI Archibal

I would say it is of (upper) medium difficulty. The (annoying) lack of fingering for the left hand in the score does not make it any easier so I had to check the tab version. But the main stumbling block is probably speed (and sometimes the rhythm). Just start very slowly, don't give up and you will get there. It really is a cool piece.

Hope this helps
Christian
Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. I will have it a go. The piece sure sounds like fun to play! I guess that the video will help with some fingering issues, I hope :roll:

Pajarillo

Post by Pajarillo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:03 pm

"Chorando nas Primas" by Edmar Fenicio! (the one from the new Book-5)

Jess Phillips

Post by Jess Phillips » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:38 pm

Maria Luisa by Julio Salvador Sagreras :sorride:
Godin ACS-SA

Roy Cohen

Post by Roy Cohen » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:24 pm

Hello,
what do you think about the arrangement of this https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/w ... r-Free.pdf?
You think is made professionally?

Golfgnome

Post by Golfgnome » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:17 pm

Jess Phillips wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:38 pm
How are you liking your Cordoba C7? I've had one for a little over a year now. I am very pleased with it but I have had a little problem with humidity and have had to make a truss rod adjustment twice.

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:52 pm

Bach's Joy of Man. What a beautiful piece!
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Spruce
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Jess Phillips

Post by Jess Phillips » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:01 am

Golfgnome wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:17 pm
Jess Phillips wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:38 pm
How are you liking your Cordoba C7? I've had one for a little over a year now. I am very pleased with it but I have had a little problem with humidity and have had to make a truss rod adjustment twice.
I love the C7. It's such an amazing guitar. Of course I haven't played a bunch of others, but I absolutely love the sound out of this one. I haven't had too much trouble with humidity. I live in Minnesota and we get a lot of extremes. During the winter I keep 1-2 humidifiers (usually 2) inside the sound hole (Oasis OH-1 & OH-5). During the summer I don't use any humidifier since my apartment doesn't have AC and the humidity is routinely around 60+.

With that being said, I keep my guitar in a hard case at all times when it's not in use. I haven't needed to adjust the truss rod even once, although there was maybe a couple times I could have. I instead waited for the humidifiers to work their magic.
Godin ACS-SA

Golfgnome

Post by Golfgnome » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:15 pm

Sounds good. I am in MN a couple times a year visiting my daughter and grandsons, they live in Eagan. It's beautiful country but the winters are even longer than here in MA. When the humidity gets outside the range I put it in the padded gig bag with a D'Addario sound hole humidifier. I need to get quite a bit better before moving up from the Cordoba. The C7 can do so much, I love it. The one I chose has a dark fretboard, you would think it's ebony but it's not. I did stop in a shop last week that has the Ramirez line (but only up to about $4,000). I tried their introductory model, the Studio 1 ($1,700) and the next model up ($2,200). Very nice, but I have some work to do before I'm ready to move up. The Ramirez models have no fret markers but you can add them.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:17 pm

Sonata 23 by Carlos Seixas (José António Carlos de Seixas 1704-1742)
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Flawiler63

Post by Flawiler63 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Samba, from the 24 piezas sudamericanas by Jorge Cardoso. There is more to this collection than the (justly) famous milonga.

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:01 pm

Chromatic Fantasy and Fuge in D- BWV903. Trans./Arr. by Jorge Cabarello.
I just finish memorizing the entire composition after a year, so I'm polishing up the gem a little to get it recorded in fall possibly after getting some advice. Thereafter it will be my daily warmup tune.

La Barossa by Paco de Lucia.
I just started working on it and at the intro rubato and 1st compas. It'll take another year.

I usually go with first-in-first-out so one each for classical and flamenco, except that I noodle around an electric on some Jazz standards.

Return to “Public Space”