What inspired you to start playing?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Martin Davis

What inspired you to start playing?

Post by Martin Davis » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:39 pm

Hello all

As the subject says, what inspired you to start learning Classical Guitar?

I am yet to actually start learning myself however, I am currently on the look out for my first guitar and aim to start having lessons in the next few weeks.

My inspiration comes from my dad, who had played Classical Guitar off and on for the last 20 years or so. I remember as a kid, he used to be up until all hours playing which used to drive me nuts, but always used to secretly enjoy the tunes he was playing. The ones that stick with me are Adelita and Romanza (think that's how they're spelt).

That being said, I wasn't interested in taking it up at that time and learnt electric guitar, moving onto bass a few years later and playing in a busy gigging band which had recently come to an end as work and family commitments are more important than gigging 3-4 over a weekend!

So my next chapter in music is to take on the Classical Guitar and get to a decent level. I have a good tutor lined up and I'm ready to knuckle down and get learning.

It would be great to hear some more stories on what got you hooked, so post them up :)

All the best

Martin
2010 Yamaha GC-31C Made in Japan

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Re: What inspired you to start playing?

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:11 pm

I came across a classical guitar player/teacher who was playing in a local shop and I was floored.
Working on: D01- Lesson 4

Playing: Corboda CP110: D'addario EJ29

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:16 am

I studied trombone in university, had a HORRIBLE experience, and left 3.5 years in. Studying music, experiencing what I did, was like somebody ripped my soul from me. I gave up music for a few years, but eventually went back to it. I always played a little bit of guitar, so I started there, playing mostly bluegrass and country. I was getting tired of picking the same tunes over and over with my buddies, and dealing with a lot of closed minded bluegrassers (not my buddies) so I deceided to use my knowledge of classical music to my advantage, and started classical guitar. I became very comfortable with classical guitar very quickly. I only took lessons for a short time, but my guitar instructor, and friend, aswell as my high school music teacher, (a good friend to this day) were both inspiring to me, both believed in me. Now I just enjoy the music.
2018 Yamaha gc42s
72 Yamaha gc6d
76 Yamaha g220
71 Yamaha g100a
(At the moment)

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:44 am

Bud & Travis in 1960. You Tube them....

Flawiler63

Post by Flawiler63 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:13 am

I remember just wanting to play classical guitar. My family were not amused, especially since no one they knew played the instrument. I had to "endure" 3 years of recorder and treble recorder lessons and some theory until I was allowed to pursue my dream and find a good teacher. John Williams' 1977 record of Barrios and a Pepe Romero concert motivated me to practice in earnest.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:01 am

I have to go back to around 1977 I'm afraid. I came across a chap playing live (not a concert). I could hardly believe that one person playing an acoustic guitar could make it sound as though it was being done by two or three people. I may have been young and impressionable but I can still recall that feeling to this day.
Historicalguitars.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:18 am

Michael.N. wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:01 am
I have to go back to around 1977 I'm afraid. I came across a chap playing live (not a concert). I could hardly believe that one person playing an acoustic guitar could make it sound as though it was being done by two or three people. I may have been young and impressionable but I can still recall that feeling to this day.
One of the tunes must have been RDLA :)

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:24 am

Nope. Actually it was just one tune. I didn't have a clue what he was playing largely because I hadn't actively listened to classical guitar music. I mean it could have been a pretty simple baroque piece but it obviously had polyphony. That's all that mattered to someone so naive.
Historicalguitars.

60moo

Post by 60moo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:32 am

Definition of a total classical ignoramus....

(i) Wanted to take up guitar, but wasn't sure which style - electric, jazz, steel string acoustic, classical? My brother recommended I listen to some bloke named John Williams on classical. Well, on the cassette cover, it says "John Williams plays Villa Lobos". I thought "What is this 'Villa Lobos'? Is it some South American dance style I haven't heard of?"

(ii) I was smitten immediately by all the music. I thought, sure, John Williams plays a mean lead, but who are the other two guys playing the rhythm and bass guitars? I searched both the cassette cover and fine print on the label for at least some credit, some recognition for these fine players. But nope - nothing. I then lost all respect for John Williams as a person. Selfish p****.

It took two weeks of continual listening for the penny to drop. My learning curve got steeper after that!

doug

Post by doug » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:07 am

When I was 59 years old, I decided to start a new hobby, and.....totally on a whim......I decided to learn to play guitar. I bought a cheap steel string acoustic from a local music shop, and I told the kid at the sales counter that I wanted to sign up for lessons. He suggested one of their teachers, so I gave him a call and signed up. I soon learned that he was a pretty good musician, but not a good teacher. I was early for a lesson one day, and was browsing the store....looking at guitars....when I saw one that had a wider than usual neck and nylon strings. I asked one of the sales people what it was, and he said it was a classical guitar. I liked playing it, and asked my teacher about it, to which he replied, "....you don't want one of them damned things! Willie Nelson is the only person I know who plays one." After my lesson, I googled classical guitar, and was totally blown away by youtube videos that I watched. One of those videos.....the one that clinched the decision for me.....was Per-Olov Kindgren, playing, "Stairway to Heaven." I bought a used Yamaha GC-171 on eee-bae, and the rest is history.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

crazyrach97

Post by crazyrach97 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:15 pm

The first time I was in my boyfriend's house last summer. We met in EMT training, hit it off, and found out we were both guitar players. So I go over to his place for dinner and a jam on his kids' weekend with their mom. He has a rehearsal studio in the basement where he keeps most of his stuff, so the first instruments I saw in the house were the electric guitar and classical guitar that he keeps by his desk in the living room. Believe it or not I've been playing since I was ten and had never, ever played on nylon strings before so I asked if I could check it out. I was playing just some blues fingerstyle stuff and kind of digging the sound even though the geometry was kind of weird with the wide string spacing and all. I noticed the book on the music stand with just standard notation in it and asked him what that was all about, so he took the guitar from me and played a few short pieces. I ended up staying over at his house that night, and started working with the beginning lessons in SGP the next morning.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:23 pm

There was no start... I was born into a home with guitars and a family that played guitars. I’ve never not had a guitar in my life.
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

WalrusAlchemist

Post by WalrusAlchemist » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:26 pm

Listening to Yngwie Malmsteen's Trilogy suite op5. Loved the acoustic work throughout his tracks & classical influence. As I grew older I started appreciating traditional classical guitar more & more. It was a challenge to become a more mature musician. There are some pieces of music that after I finish playing, I feel complete; as if I could die then & there with complete satisfaction. The extent of therapeutic value to be found within interpreting the likes of Bach is beautiful. Something I'm truly grateful for. Learning to play is difficult, you expect to hear a sound that you're not yet able to perfectly produce. It takes a long time to develop technique in conjunction with acquired theory so as to tie it all together. It eventually does though, which is nice & then you smile. Consistent practice, know what you want to achieve & consciously work towards it. Never use cheap strings, quality strings such as Hannabach can add hundreds of dollars worth of tone to your guitar.

Wesjr1

Post by Wesjr1 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:37 pm

As a kid I had a toy saxophone, mostly plastic, but it actually played. I never pursued saxophone, Years later I discovered Chet Atkins and was hooked on guitar. I purchased and played almost all of his LPs (which I still have). For years I craved a Gretsch guitar (never got one), but for a short while I did have an electric guitar (don't remember the brand) which my parents gave me. I gradually became interested in nylon-string "classical" guitar over electric or acoustic steel string. I'd always loved classical music and that, combined with guitar, was a perfect match for me.
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

gtrfinger

Post by gtrfinger » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:49 pm

I borrowed a cassette tape from the library of Bach's Lute Suite No 1, with some harpsichord music on the B side. This will have been around 1987. I heard one guitar that sounded like two. I thought, how in the....?
But the deal breaker was when I heard some John Renbourn solo albums, around 1991. Gave up the electric near enough at that point.
google Mike Fowler guitar

Return to “Public Space”