What are you learning at the moment?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Golfgnome
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:25 pm

Re: What are you learning at the moment?

Post by Golfgnome » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:24 pm

Started working on Gymnopedie No.1 by Erik Satie, very dark but beautiful.

User avatar
bacsidoan
Posts: 2586
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 1:59 am
Location: Ohio, US

Re: What are you learning at the moment?

Post by bacsidoan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:37 pm

Relearning "Air on The G-String" in original key.

User avatar
fast eddie
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 4:39 am
Location: Columbus, MS USA

Re: What are you learning at the moment?

Post by fast eddie » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:52 am

Tarrega's 'Lagrima' and Elizabeth Cotton's 'Freight Train', which is a really fun piece.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Spruce
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Scott Phillips
Posts: 2696
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: What are you learning at the moment?

Post by Scott Phillips » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:51 am

Greensleeves.

Pajarillo
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:59 am

Re: What are you learning at the moment?

Post by Pajarillo » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:35 pm

Antonio Sinopoli - "VARIACIONES DE GATO"!

Pajarillo
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:59 am

Re: What are you learning at the moment?

Post by Pajarillo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:22 pm

Antonio Sinopoli - TRISTE #5!

User avatar
Archibal
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 9:28 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: What are you learning at the moment?

Post by Archibal » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:30 pm

Paying/learning Dilermando Reis - Uma Valsa e Dois Amores, awesome piece. Easy and "liberty" to put in - almost - whatever feeling you have. What a lovely composition :chitarrista: :chitarrista:

Bill
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:43 pm

Re: What are you learning at the moment?

Post by Bill » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:39 pm

La Vida Breve

User avatar
Evocacion
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:25 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: What are you learning at the moment?

Post by Evocacion » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:41 pm

fast eddie wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:52 am
Tarrega's 'Lagrima' and Elizabeth Cotton's 'Freight Train', which is a really fun piece.
Are you holding the guitar upside down for 'Freight Train', or trying to duplicate her picking with what is essentially an upside down hand?

User avatar
Jess Phillips
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun May 06, 2018 4:18 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: What are you learning at the moment?

Post by Jess Phillips » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:09 am

Evocacion wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:41 pm
fast eddie wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:52 am
Tarrega's 'Lagrima' and Elizabeth Cotton's 'Freight Train', which is a really fun piece.
Are you holding the guitar upside down for 'Freight Train', or trying to duplicate her picking with what is essentially an upside down hand?
I had to look up what you were talking about because I had never heard of her before. That was not what I was expecting and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Cordoba C7 (experimenting with strings)
Godin ACS-SA

User avatar
Evocacion
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:25 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: What are you learning at the moment?

Post by Evocacion » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:07 pm

Jess Phillips wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:09 am
Evocacion wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:41 pm
fast eddie wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:52 am
Tarrega's 'Lagrima' and Elizabeth Cotton's 'Freight Train', which is a really fun piece.
Are you holding the guitar upside down for 'Freight Train', or trying to duplicate her picking with what is essentially an upside down hand?
I had to look up what you were talking about because I had never heard of her before. That was not what I was expecting and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I assume you found the original on YouTube. She was incredible.
I also like the Nancy Whisky version, which was the only one I knew about until a couple of years ago.

User avatar
Bododio
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:02 pm
Location: Pittsburg, California

Re: What are you learning at the moment?

Post by Bododio » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:02 pm

Currently learning "Awake Sweet Love," by John Dowland. Deceptively difficult with a few challenging right hand fingerings. Also learning "A Simple Song," by Hirokazu Sato. A sweet tune, very straightforward to learn, and very satisfying to play. It feels good under the fingers.
2012 Cordoba C10 (CD), D'Addario EJ45
2015 Pavan TP-30 (SP), D'Addario EJ45

User avatar
Jacek A. Rochacki
Posts: 1357
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:44 pm
Location: Bydgoszcz, Poland, Europe.

Re: What are you learning at the moment?

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:15 pm

EL POSTILLON DE LA RIOJA - Cristóbal OUDRID
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

User avatar
Jorge Oliveira
Posts: 706
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:17 pm
Location: Cascais, Portugal

Re: What are you learning at the moment?

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:27 pm

The last piece of Fernando Sor's Opus 60, the #25, as part of the "Let’s learn Sor’s Opus 60 together, shall we?" Project. It is an harmonics based piece, quite different from the others in the Opus 60 and quite difficult for me.
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/51, Spr, IN RW, Tokyo, JP
1979 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.40, 650/51, Ced, IN RW, JP
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52, CA Ced, MG RW, Banyoles, ES

Pajarillo
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:59 am

Re: What are you learning at the moment?

Post by Pajarillo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:35 pm

Antonio Sinopoli - "YEYE (Chorinho - Danza Brazilena)!!!

Return to “Public Space”