What if your guitar is refused as carry on and you are already on the plane?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
simonm

Re: What if your guitar is refused as carry on and you are already on the plane?

Post by simonm » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:38 pm

Hi micha, when looking at answer here, you can basically ignore most advice from US members if they are not explicitly referring to travel in Europe on a European airline. US air travel is just different. Because of the long distance of internal flights many (not all) planes equipped differently (e.g real business class seats and some even have first class so more discretional storage space) and the legal frameworks is totally different.

In Europe it is pot-luck. Some airlines have restrictive luggage regs like Ryanair and other "low cost". The "traditional" airlines like British and Lufthansa are likely to be more accommodating. Recently I have seen more guitars in the airport departure/transit lounges (bcd, mad, fra) than in the last few years so maybe it has loosened up a bit.

Ryanair has some flights that suit me but generally I look for some other airline else just because they make baggage so complicated and that even though I have gone back to using a travel agent.

Charles Mokotoff

Re: What if your guitar is refused as carry on and you are already on the plane?

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:43 pm

Really? I have been flying with guitars for decades and the very large majority of the time I get the guitar on, period. I will reiterate my suggestions:
1. Ask no questions
2. Keep guitar out of sight of airline personnel while you wait
3. Just show your boarding pass and walk on to the plane keeping guitar upright alongside you and hope they don't notice.
4. If asked to gate check, accept the ticket and then try and get it on anyhow, but accept the gate check, its never been an issue for me
5. Above all, don't be late and smile/be nice, just the way your Mom taught you ;)
2017 Glenn Canin Spruce

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:46 pm

One last note about gate checking...if you have a seat way in back, it takes quite some time to get off the plane. Your guitar will be sitting there out in the open with the baby strollers and such as all your fellow passengers file past it, I have heard of guitars being stolen this way by either a very ballsy passenger or airline staff...imagine? Even though when they gate check they give you a stub of the tag on the case, I have never, not once, been asked to show that stub to get the guitar. Its just grab and go....
2017 Glenn Canin Spruce

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:24 pm

Too much subterfuge here for my tastes. I have only traveled a handful of times with my travel guitar. I was politely insistent on bringing it aboard and was accommodated by the stewardess once past the gate. However, it was a $1,000. Yamaha--not my concert guitar(s) and it was before the TSA fiasco. Today, I would never take the chance of the draw and would buy the extra seat. You have to figure it into the cost of doing business and if you're a traveling pro, use it as an "expense" on your income taxes. The sad reality is that with the exception of a few artists, payment for a gig usually doesn't justify the cost of an extra seat and, in reality, you might be doing the gig for free. It's up to you. However, for me, I have too much of a personal connection with my instruments to throw them into the hands of the unwashed. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

micha

Post by micha » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:07 pm

mverive wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:49 pm
Another option is to have the instrument shipped to you via FedEx or other courier. May cost a bit, but not likely as much as the purchase of a separate seat.

Mike
Nice suggestion :)

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:02 pm

I have both flown and shipped guitars for decades. I have far worse experience with UPS/FedEx/USPS than with the airlines. Is this just me?
2017 Glenn Canin Spruce

Return to “Public Space”