The Case of the Fake Auction for a Velazquez

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
larryguitar

Re: The Case of the Fake Auction for a Velazquez

Post by larryguitar » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:02 am

I reported the item as fraudulent although I suppose it will do no good and others will fall for the listing.

I have received no reply from the seller. I asked him to prove that he was in possession of the guitar.

Perhaps others can hit the Report Item option at the bottom right of the listing to alert e - b a y that it is potentially fraudulent. Thanks.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:15 am

petermc61 wrote:Larry

The fake Malapannis I won but never got is still giving me much satisfaction!!

Peter
And I'm still trying to sell the legitimate Malapanis! Cheers!
Jack
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:34 pm

larryguitar wrote:"1966 Manuel Velazquez all original, virtually unplayed, original owner and single maker masterpiece. This is a beautiful, extremely clean guitar handmade by Manuel Velazquez himself, the real deal. Finish is original. German/Austrian spruce top and Brasilian Rosewood back and sides. Minor faint nicks and scratches primarily to top and side plate from removal from case and very limited play. No visible play wear to the Ebony neck or frets. Original hard case included. Heritage Auction Rating of Condition is EXCELLENT: guitar fully functional. This piece was purchased in 1966 by my Grandmother in NYC as a gift for my mother, and was used only sparingly and has been well taken care of by me. The guitar shows FAINT cosmetic blemishes due to playing and storing. USA bidders only please. Shipping free. Thank you."

This grandmother story tricked me the last time.
I saw this e bay ad several years ago, same story about mother and grandmother, same guitar. Wow, what a bunch of hooey!

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:47 pm

riffmeister wrote:
larryguitar wrote:"1966 Manuel Velazquez all original, virtually unplayed, original owner and single maker masterpiece. This is a beautiful, extremely clean guitar handmade by Manuel Velazquez himself, the real deal. Finish is original. German/Austrian spruce top and Brasilian Rosewood back and sides. Minor faint nicks and scratches primarily to top and side plate from removal from case and very limited play. No visible play wear to the Ebony neck or frets. Original hard case included. Heritage Auction Rating of Condition is EXCELLENT: guitar fully functional. This piece was purchased in 1966 by my Grandmother in NYC as a gift for my mother, and was used only sparingly and has been well taken care of by me. The guitar shows FAINT cosmetic blemishes due to playing and storing. USA bidders only please. Shipping free. Thank you."

This grandmother story tricked me the last time.
I saw this e bay ad several years ago, same story about mother and grandmother, same guitar. Wow, what a bunch of hooey!
I sick of people being taken in by this guitar that was only driven by a grandma on Sundays.

Let me try to get the legit owner on the case.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:53 pm

Huh, I think the listing has disappeared before the end of the auction. Hard to believe dBay did it, maybe!

I wrote the legit owner to ask him if he had seen the listing.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:27 pm

larryguitar wrote:Huh, I think the listing has disappeared before the end of the auction. Hard to believe dBay did it, maybe!

I wrote the legit owner to ask him if he had seen the listing.
I have asked the legit owner to look into listing his guitars on here, so after he satisfies all of the requirements, you may see them listed here.

I believe the fake listing has disappeared but keep an eye out for it to pop up again.

Guther

Post by Guther » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:36 am

Just saw this thread. I emailed the seller as well to no avail. As soon as a day went by without a response, I smelled a rat...

I was out of town and wasn't checking in here very often...good times
Guther

mlkrause

Post by mlkrause » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:35 am

larryguitar wrote:
riffmeister wrote:And then there are the Puerto Rican Velazquez shop guitars, La Rafaella and La Estrella. An Estrella is listed in the classified section of the GFA site. And Zavaleta's site has a super rare model from the NYC shop called La Mixta.
The GFA ad is from 2012, so I have no idea if it still for sale. Not what I want, though. Zavaleta's is an interesting site, I've gone through the listings a number of times. Is the La Mixta the one for $18k? I could only find one Velazquez on there.
Hello, I am the owner of the La Mixta guitar listed on the Zavaleta's site. I am the second owner, and I was given this beautiful guitar in 1978 for my high school guitar class. From 1985 until present, the guitar has resided in our cabin in Flagstaff, Arizona. I have had the guitar recently re-strung, and the person who re-strung the guitar said it was the finest classical guitar she has ever played. She recorded the music, and it was spectacular. I plan on putting this guitar on a popular auction site soon, and was surprised to see you folks discussing it. I would appreciate any insights you or other have on my model the "La Mixta" by Velazquez.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:07 am

Hello mlkrause. Welcome to the forum. If you were thinking of advertising your guitar for sale here, we have an area reserved for that - Classical Guitar for Sale. This is a privilege offered to active members of the forum, and it has its own requirements and rules (printed in red at the top of each page in that subforum). We do require an introduction from new members, so could you please post one here.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:48 am

mlkrause wrote:
larryguitar wrote:
riffmeister wrote:And then there are the Puerto Rican Velazquez shop guitars, La Rafaella and La Estrella. An Estrella is listed in the classified section of the GFA site. And Zavaleta's site has a super rare model from the NYC shop called La Mixta.
The GFA ad is from 2012, so I have no idea if it still for sale. Not what I want, though. Zavaleta's is an interesting site, I've gone through the listings a number of times. Is the La Mixta the one for $18k? I could only find one Velazquez on there.
Hello, I am the owner of the La Mixta guitar listed on the Zavaleta's site. I am the second owner, and I was given this beautiful guitar in 1978 for my high school guitar class. From 1985 until present, the guitar has resided in our cabin in Flagstaff, Arizona. I have had the guitar recently re-strung, and the person who re-strung the guitar said it was the finest classical guitar she has ever played. She recorded the music, and it was spectacular. I plan on putting this guitar on a popular auction site soon, and was surprised to see you folks discussing it. I would appreciate any insights you or other have on my model the "La Mixta" by Velazquez.
Super rare guitar model from Maestro Velazquez's shop. I've been following the Velazquez market for almost 20 years and have never seen another one.

mlkrause

Post by mlkrause » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:28 am

Thank you for the reply.

I am pleased that Dr. James Greenberg was able to authenticate the signature on my guitar by Alfredo Velazquez, Manuel's son.

Bill

Post by Bill » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:24 am

I think it may be back again...is this it? Item #162595241391

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:18 am

Bill wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:24 am
I think it may be back again...is this it? Item #162595241391
Oh god, yes, good catch, sigh.

The instrument had been refinished and has been on Reverb but this listing has the original pictures from the Heritage auction and the grandmother story.

The account has a high number of positives so perhaps they have managed to steal a reputable user's account.

How should we proceed? Should I ask the seller for proof the guitar is in his possession?

Bill

Post by Bill » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:34 am

I think the best we can hope for is to simply have the item removed by reporting it.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:41 am

Bill wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:34 am
I think the best we can hope for is to simply have the item removed by reporting it.
Ok, I reported it as possibly fraudulent and asked the seller to post a picture of the instrument with today's newspaper.

I have the e - b a y seller's account that is the valid owner of the guitar but I cannot contact him although we exchanged emails in the past. I don't know why.

I will call e - b a y tomorrow if the listing is still up.

Return to “Public Space”