The Case of the Fake Auction for a Velazquez

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Guitar-ded

Re: The Case of the Fake Auction for a Velazquez

Post by Guitar-ded » Tue May 17, 2016 10:24 pm

petermc61 wrote: Then you should shop from a trusted source! See here for the best current private listing of guitar in the entire solar system:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103294
Out of interest can anyone get this link to open?
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue May 17, 2016 10:33 pm

Guitar-ded wrote:
petermc61 wrote: Then you should shop from a trusted source! See here for the best current private listing of guitar in the entire solar system:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103294
Out of interest can anyone get this link to open?
The mods vaporised it on the basis that it was talking of offering instruments for sale and I should have listed all the instruments individually in the 'for sale' section. Mea culpa.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Tue May 17, 2016 10:50 pm

Duh!
I should have realised.
Thanks Peter.
I was just being nosey. : ))
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:47 pm

There is a '66 Velazquez on the German bay, is this maybe the guitar of the fake auction thas was discussed here in this thread?
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:12 pm

andreas777 wrote:There is a '66 Velazquez on the German bay, is this maybe the guitar of the fake auction thas was discussed here in this thread?
I had a 66 MV that was sold to a fellow in Germany. He has tried to sell it on the bay several times over the last few years, could be him.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:04 am

riffmeister wrote:
andreas777 wrote:There is a '66 Velazquez on the German bay, is this maybe the guitar of the fake auction thas was discussed here in this thread?
I had a 66 MV that was sold to a fellow in Germany. He has tried to sell it on the bay several times over the last few years, could be him.
I don't believe the one on the German e - b a y site is the same one that was used in the fake auction that I won. I still have the pictures on my phone. The one on the German e - b a y site does not have a dent in the binding as far as I can tell.

Oh, well, I already bought a Velazquez or I would be interested in the German one.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:01 pm

larryguitar wrote:
riffmeister wrote:
I don't believe the one on the German e - b a y site is the same one that was used in the fake auction that I won. I still have the pictures on my phone. The one on the German e - b a y site does not have a dent in the binding as far as I can tell.

Oh, well, I already bought a Velazquez or I would be interested in the German one.
I found the one on the German site. Yep, that used to be my guitar. The fellow in Germany had it refinished by Fritz Ober.

Here it is when I had it:

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:10 pm

Wow, beautiful, did it really need refinishing?

The pictures on the German bay are not good. You should photograph the guitar for him.

So, it is not the one I won in a fake auction, right Riff?

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:53 pm

larryguitar wrote:Wow, beautiful, did it really need refinishing?

The pictures on the German bay are not good. You should photograph the guitar for him.

So, it is not the one I won in a fake auction, right Riff?
The guitar in the fake auction was a different one.

Yeah, my 66 (purchased at Beverly's shop) had been played a lot, the finish was worn down to bare wood in a couple of the usual places. I had Aaron Green do some work on the guitar, new frets, reworked tie block (holes were excessively large from use, protective bone strips were beat), and new Rodgers tuners (original Kolbs were extremely worn). Actually a funny story about the Rodgers tuners. After I got the guitar back from Aaron and played it for about a year, one of the tuner buttons had come loose from the shaft rendering it useless. I contacted Rob Rodgers and he said the glue on the tuner button was faulty and to send them back, he'd repair all of them free of charge. So I sent the tuners to him in England and insured them for the true value (I think it was around $900). Well, the tuners never arrived, they got "lost" in UK customs somewhere. Of course, insurance wouldn't pay for that. So I let out a big sigh and just wrote them off. Well, about a year later, the tuners magically "appeared" in UK customs and were delivered to the Rodgers shop. And I did finally get them back in perfect working order.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:18 pm

So, the same 1966 MV has popped up on the bay. The seller sent me a note with a picture of the guitar and my e - b a y id written on a piece of paper, so he's legit as far as I can tell.

He's actually selling two MVs, so this is an opportunity for someone. ;-) I'm out of the market after buying the 2002.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:28 pm

larryguitar wrote:So, the same 1966 MV has popped up on the bay. The seller sent me a note with a picture of the guitar and my e - b a y id written on a piece of paper, so he's legit as far as I can tell.

He's actually selling two MVs, so this is an opportunity for someone. ;-) I'm out of the market after buying the 2002.
Yeah, there's "your" '66 all right! Has that 'beauty mark' on the bass side binding!

And the '68.....that one was for sale on the US bay for a while, and also had brief appearances at two US dealers.
Last edited by riffmeister on Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:39 pm

riffmeister wrote:
larryguitar wrote:So, the same 1966 MV has popped up on the bay. The seller sent me a note with a picture of the guitar and my e - b a y id written on a piece of paper, so he's legit as far as I can tell.

Yeah, there's "your" '66 all right! Has that 'beauty mark on the bass side binding!

And the '68.....that one was for sale on the US bay for a while, and also had brief appearances at two US dealers.
Yep, I would recognize that guitar anywhere, it will always be close to my heart, LOL. I bet Peter thinks fondly of that beautiful Malapanis he won for a song. ;-)

The '66 has been refinished. I know there are various opinions on whether or not to do that. Most people tell me not to when I bring up the subject but this refinished MV sure does look beautiful. What finish was Velazquez using back in 1966? He wasn't French polishing back in those days.

If I hadn't sprung for the 2002, I would be seriously tempted by one of these guitars. So it goes.

Not that you would understand, Riff, but I have reduced my collection to two guitars and peace reigns in my household. Now, if I could just sell a $100 ABS case to free up a little more space!
Last edited by larryguitar on Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:51 pm

I think MV was using an oil varnish finish in the 60's. The '68 was also refinished....by MV himself as indicated on the second label. Love the Pau Ferro back/sides on that guitar. I've seen that wood used quite often on his guitars between 1968-1972. I have a '71 with that wood, and that's the year he started using a larger body with a more rounded plantilla. Really nice looking and sounding guitar!

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:09 pm

riffmeister wrote:I think MV was using an oil varnish finish in the 60's. The '68 was also refinished....by MV himself as indicated on the second label. Love the Pau Ferro back/sides on that guitar. I've seen that wood used quite often on his guitars between 1968-1972. I have a '71 with that wood, and that's the year he started using a larger body with a more rounded plantilla. Really nice looking and sounding guitar!
Ah, I didn't realize that Velazquez used Pau Ferro. The Papazian I just sold had Pau Ferro sides and back. It's very strong stuff, although it seems a bit heavier than Indian or Brazilian. I like Indian a lot because it does not crack, according to Don Manuel himself.

How much larger are the bodies on the late 60s to early 70s guitars when compared to my 2002 Torres model? Not much, I think, but you're the person to ask. ;-)

simonm

Post by simonm » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:27 pm

I can't see the 66 you are talking about on the bay. I see a 62 (from Japan) and a 53 (from NJ). On the Germany vioworld website there is a 66 for sale for an asking prive of 8,800 Euros and it mentions a touch up by Fritz Ober, so I guess that is the one you are seeing on the auction site.

Return to “Public Space”