Circled Number or Letter in Finale Songwriter

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Fretful

Circled Number or Letter in Finale Songwriter

Post by Fretful » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:34 pm

How do you add a circled number or letter, using the Finale Songwriter Software to specify a choice of string, etc. ?
Thank you.

khayes

Re: Circled Number or Letter in Finale Songwriter

Post by khayes » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:24 pm

Not sure about Songwriter. You might search for fonts that have circled numbers/letters.
Ken

Martin

Post by Martin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:07 pm

They are available in the "Wingdings 2" under Windows. Back when I used to use Finale Printmusic I was able to set up custom text entries for them. I would think there would be some similar feature in SongWriter

Martin
If all else fails, try reading the instructions...

Fretful

Post by Fretful » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:44 pm

Martin wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:07 pm
They are available in the "Wingdings 2" under Windows.
Thank you. Read the instructions is the best advice ever (that's normally my line!), but the trouble is that, in this case, I have read them (even though I am very bad at it) from cover to cover several times, and there seems to be nothing even remotely related to circled letters or numbers. This seems very strange as - at least in guitar writing - they are essential [there is no other way to denote a particular string for instance].
I do know how to circle numbers it in "Word" but have not found a way to combine "Word" with "Finale". I'd be very grateful if you know of a way to do that.

Many thanks,
Fretful
(I don't normally fret [the reference is to the fingerboard] but this is getting very frustrating)

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:25 pm

It's not very difficult:
Choose ""expression markings" (where you find the symbols for forte, piano,...), choose the symbol which
should be encircled (or create one by duplicating it). In the edit menu you can choose a frame
(in the German version that I have it is called "Rahmen" and select the corresponding frame (circle or ellipse).
A hardcopy of the German version of Finale 25 is attached.
Finale_002.JPG
Please feel free to send me a PM if that doesn't work for you -
I am not sure if FInale Songbook Writer allows the design of expression markings. In this case I can send you a small Finale library.

Bernhard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fretful

Post by Fretful » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:36 pm

Martin wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:07 pm
They are available in the "Wingdings 2" under Windows.
Cracked it!! Thanks you VERY much, Martin, you put me on the right track.
There was a little confusion at first due to your pluralisation of Window"s" which set me off on the Microsoft-Word-etc. trail. But then the penny dropped and you are quite right, if on goes to Window (in Finale), select Font, select Wingdings 2 : the circled numbers appear. What is bizare is that to obtain the ①, one has to type j !!? ... after that it's easy : k is ②, l is ③, m is ④ , n is ⑤, and o is ⑥ ... and that's all one needs!
Many, many thanks again.
Fretful

Fretful

Post by Fretful » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:40 pm

Bernhard Heimann wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:25 pm
It's not very difficult:Choose ""expression markings"
Thank you so much, Bernhard, for taking the trouble. Your version is clearly much more sophisticated than mine, which has not got those features. Another post (see above) put me on the right track.
Kindest regards
Fretful

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:27 am

The solution using the Wingdings font is a workaround. The only font you can use for the encircled numbers is Wingdings,
whereas my solution is more flexible - and you can put frames (circles, rectangles, ellipses...) around different
expression markings if needed.
To enter the symbols while the expression markings menu is selected, you can create shortcuts that are more mnemonic.
Example: Press Shift+E and the menu with all the expression marking comes up - select the circled "6" and you have programmed
a shortcut. When you hold the "e" (no shift) and click into the score, you create a circled "6" to indicate the low E string .
This also works for articulation markings (like fingering).

Bernhard

Return to “Public Space”