Commissioning a New Guitar Piece

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Intune

Commissioning a New Guitar Piece

Post by Intune » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:58 pm

I've been toying with the idea of commissioning a short guitar piece to present to my wife on her next birthday -- "Alison's Song" -- something perhaps in dropped D tuning that’s utterly tonal, melodic, song-like, nostalgic, and "romantic," for want of better words. Nothing atonal or experimental. Frederic Hand's “Prayer” would be a good example of the sort of piece I have in mind. As I can't spend a whole lot, probably a young, aspiring composer who's hungry for work would be best. Does anybody know someone who could write this piece? Any idea what he or she might charge? Either reply here or send me a PM please.

Thanks.
Last edited by Intune on Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)
2019 Michael Cadiz (spruce/ziricote)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau

Paul Janssen

Re: Commissioning a New Guitar Piece

Post by Paul Janssen » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:21 pm

What a lovely gesture. Be sure to let us know how it turns out for you.

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:45 pm

Have a listen to Peter Stewart ( search YouTube), Scottish composer although not a newby his music is certainly very lyrical.

Intune

Post by Intune » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Gary. I'll have a listen....
Intune

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:55 pm

Hmm. I would focus on the vocals and the presentation. Therefore I would take an existing piece or melody and add my own words. You are the only person who knows your wife well, so the words should express your thoughts and feelings. And then I would spend some time to practice the song, maybe it could make sense to play it in front of a friend who could give good feedback.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:06 pm

How about starting a competition on here for who could compose this piece, with the parameters (eg. length, difficulty level etc) etc defined?

I would definitely have a go, and some other people on here probably would do, too who have scoring software like Sibelius.

The winner could be voted by a poll, with you getting a bigger share (maybe 50%) of the votes.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Intune

Post by Intune » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:43 pm

Andreas: When I mentioned the title "Alison's Song" I didn't literally mean a song with lyrics to be sung, but rather a purely instrumental piece -- more of a "Song Without Words" in the Mendelssohnian sense. (If you heard my terrible singing voice you'd understand why.)

Adrian: Very cool idea, to be sure, but I think I'd rather not have this personal expression of affection for my wife be at the center of a very public competition. Best that I do this in private. If you or anyone else is interested, I'd really welcome hearing from you to discuss further. Regarding basic parameters: I'd probably want something in the neighborhood of 3 minutes in length (give or take 30 seconds), lyrical, melodic, lovely harmonies, moderate to advanced difficulty -- again, I'd cite Fred Hand's "Prayer" as a fine example of the "spirit," tempo, and architectural density of what I'm after. For obvious reasons I'd want to hear samples from composers of what they've already written along these lines.

Look forward very much to hearing from anyone who's interested.
Intune

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:17 pm

Jeremy Choi springs to mind. Jeremy is a member here but hasn’t visited since March so it’d be better to contact him via his website which is easily found. There and on the tube you can find him playing many of his compositions, for example ‘To My Beloved’. No idea re his likely charges if you are both interested but Jeremy has certainly been very generous in making his compositions freely available or at little cost.

Intune

Post by Intune » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:23 pm

Thanks, Pat. I'll look for Jeremy's site.
Intune

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:41 pm

I'm not sure whether he takes commissions, but Per-Olov Kindgren sounds like he would fit the bill perfectly for you. His compositions are very lyrical & melodic with nice harmonies. If you're unfamiliar with his work, do a search on Youtube for "Solitude by Per-Olov Kindgren". This will give a good example of his style. He has written many tunes so there are plenty of others you could listen to as well (Distant Love is another good example of his style).

isaac_suit6

Post by isaac_suit6 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:12 am

There is the Eastman School of Music, a premier music school (https://www.esm.rochester.edu/). You could contact the department chair of music composition Ricardo Zohn-Muldoon (rzohn-muldoon@esm.rochester.edu) to see if there are any composition students that would be interested in this task.
Cheers,
isaac_suit6

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:18 am

isaac_suit6 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:12 am
There is the Eastman School of Music, a premier music school (https://www.esm.rochester.edu/). You could contact the department chair of music composition Ricardo Zohn-Muldoon (rzohn-muldoon@esm.rochester.edu) to see if there are any composition students that would be interested in this task.
There is a real danger here of getting something which is non-tonal (the style that dominates all college courses) and non-guitaristic.

In my opinion, the poster is better off commissioning a piece from a composer who is an established player with a great knowledge of the instrument and also a track record of short tonal pieces.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Intune

Post by Intune » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:55 am

Paul: Per-Olov would do a great job, I'm sure, but he won't compose a piece about someone he doesn't know personally. And even if he did, I'd guess that with his online fame he'd be quite expensive. Thanks for the suggestion.
Intune

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:25 pm

This is interesting. What's the fee and the deadline? I'd happily submit a piece on spec and only ask a small fee if you use it. Drop D it is and presumably a romantic mood, titled 'Alison's Song'. Would you like me to send something? Or would you prefer a formal commission from someone with a name?

Intune

Post by Intune » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:07 pm

Hi PeteJ,

Sending you a PM. Thanks.
Intune

Return to “Public Space”