How old is too old?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Stan

Re: How old is too old?

Post by Stan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:38 pm

She is amazing. She is from my home state and I have seen a video of her and her sister playing together. Thank you for sharing this.
The steam that blows the whistle never turns the wheel.

Judy Verbeeten
Student of the online lessons

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:09 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:45 pm
andreas777 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:33 pm
Alvisa wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:55 am
I would say that it is never too late but to avoid frustration, you need to have realistic objectives.
This is the crucial point. Think about how much time you want to spend practicing and what you can learn in this period. If you can accept that you will never reach a professional level, or be able to play the most difficult pieces, make more errors than other younger players, but if you have fun practicing and it gives you joy when you can play a piece well from memory, then go for it. What do you have to lose? You have no obligations and can stop playing guitar every day, it's always you who can decide. I would recommend to set a goal and keep learning classical guitar until you have reached this milestone - for example be able to play this Spanish Romance from memory. And when you have reached this milestone you can recap your learning and experiences and decide if you want to continue.
Sure - continue!
and ..yes "you need to have realistic objectives." Play for yourself, enjoy!
Good luck!
I agree with most of the comments raised by the other posts – there is no ‘too old’ category. It was of interest to me that playing the song Spanish Romance was suggested as a target to aspire to. It was listening to that song decades ago that inspired me to pick up a classical guitar in the first place.

As a 68-year-old who has just picked up her classical guitar after a 30-year hiatus (and who never achieved soaring heights of musicality in the first place), I am comforted by, and at ease with my modest expectations and not daunted by the reality that I will never achieve some objective level of excellence. So what.

While my agility, including my finger dexterity, is not what it used to be, my enthusiasm for the classical guitar enterprise has not waned whatsoever.

Adjusting the oft-repeated truism to fit the context, I believe that success should be in the ear of the beholder.

Andrei Krylov, I have listened to your guitar playing on youtube and it is amazing – and I know I will never ever get near to your level of excellence. But I can enjoy your talent and celebrate it – I am not intimidated by your skills, but rather inspired by them. Your closing comment is spot on – I intend to have realistic objectives, play for myself and definitely enjoy the whole experience along the way.

Stan

Post by Stan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:22 pm

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:09 pm
AndreiKrylov wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:45 pm
andreas777 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:33 pm

This is the crucial point. Think about how much time you want to spend practicing and what you can learn in this period. If you can accept that you will never reach a professional level, or be able to play the most difficult pieces, make more errors than other younger players, but if you have fun practicing and it gives you joy when you can play a piece well from memory, then go for it. What do you have to lose? You have no obligations and can stop playing guitar every day, it's always you who can decide. I would recommend to set a goal and keep learning classical guitar until you have reached this milestone - for example be able to play this Spanish Romance from memory. And when you have reached this milestone you can recap your learning and experiences and decide if you want to continue.
Sure - continue!
and ..yes "you need to have realistic objectives." Play for yourself, enjoy!
Good luck!
I agree with most of the comments raised by the other posts – there is no ‘too old’ category. It was of interest to me that playing the song Spanish Romance was suggested as a target to aspire to. It was listening to that song decades ago that inspired me to pick up a classical guitar in the first place.

As a 68-year-old who has just picked up her classical guitar after a 30-year hiatus (and who never achieved soaring heights of musicality in the first place), I am comforted by, and at ease with my modest expectations and not daunted by the reality that I will never achieve some objective level of excellence. So what.

While my agility, including my finger dexterity, is not what it used to be, my enthusiasm for the classical guitar enterprise has not waned whatsoever.

Adjusting the oft-repeated truism to fit the context, I believe that success should be in the ear of the beholder.

Andrei Krylov, I have listened to your guitar playing on youtube and it is amazing – and I know I will never ever get near to your level of excellence. But I can enjoy your talent and celebrate it – I am not intimidated by your skills, but rather inspired by them. Your closing comment is spot on – I intend to have realistic objectives, play for myself and definitely enjoy the whole experience along the way.
Awesome. Your story is similar to mine. Let's go on this adventure, ha ha! Keep me posted.

BertG

Post by BertG » Wed May 02, 2018 6:46 pm

Too old is when you remember phones with cords. Or that round thingy with numbers you spin on it. Using a flywheel to start your tractor.

Like others on this Post I have started up after some 30 years absence. I found a good teacher.
However I raced through the first lessons and failed to listen to half of what he was teaching. My bad.
Finally home after one poor performance I heard his criticism and started over from the beginning, replaying the 1st lessons seriously.
It has taken about a month to just correct my rest stroke but I found that my advancement is going twice has fast has before when I was just frustrating him and myself.
Like other have suggested pick a goal, a simple plan and stick to it. l had to relax and let the music come to me instead of forcing it.
It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks is a true statement because like me you probably don't hear so good.
especially concerning performance issues.

segoviaDevotee

Post by segoviaDevotee » Wed May 02, 2018 10:33 pm

I'm an old man too. I had to start to lift weights to keep playing the guitar because I was getting too much back pain. I have an 18 pound barbell. I do 130 reps with it each day 7 days a week (65 with each arm).

This has eliminated all pain I had as a result of playing.

Sanft

Post by Sanft » Mon May 07, 2018 7:06 pm

Well... a few seconds after your death it's definitely too late. But before this? There is no such thing as "too old".

segoviaDevotee

Post by segoviaDevotee » Tue May 08, 2018 5:54 pm

Sanft wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 7:06 pm
Well... a few seconds after your death it's definitely too late. But before this? There is no such thing as "too old".
Well if heaven is really going to be everything its cracked up to be I'll be playing my guitar there.

If i can't play after death I'll know I'm in hell.

Stan

Post by Stan » Tue May 08, 2018 8:51 pm

segoviaDevotee wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:54 pm
Sanft wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 7:06 pm
Well if heaven is really going to be everything its cracked up to be I'll be playing my guitar there.

If i can't play after death I'll know I'm in hell.
I actually might get pretty good with all eternity to practice and learn. I might even be able to play Asturias in five or six thousand years.

Purnell31

Post by Purnell31 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:30 am

I'm probably "too old" as well, but having set the bar VERY low, the chances of disappointment are negligible. :D
Purnell31
Cordoba C9 Parlor 630/50

rfgrove

Post by rfgrove » Wed May 09, 2018 12:29 pm

I started CG late in life, too, but now that I'm retired I'm really enjoying taking the time to learn new music and play the pieces I enjoy.

I studied music when I was younger, and was caught up in recitals and competitions for a while, but now I just play to relax and to enjoy the instrument. Every once in a while I'll perform for guests, and I enjoy that, but performance is not my goal either.

So, my advice is just to enjoy what you're doing and vice versa.

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Sat May 12, 2018 1:29 am

I played for a few years during my mid - late 30's, then stopped for 40 years. Now I have retired from my job and again playing with more enthusiasm than in my younger days. My hands cooperate most of the time, which is a small miracle since hand surgery in the 1990's was serious enough. I do realize that I will not be competition for John Williams, but for some reason I am having the time of my life. At this point I have been playing for 8 months, am 78 and thus far have memorized 3 Ragtime pieces, Bach's Bourree plus a few short Sor pieces. I guess seeing some progress every now and again is my reward, and that seems to be enough. Amen!
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Spruce
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

soufiej

Post by soufiej » Sat May 12, 2018 3:15 pm

"I'm old enough to know you can't close your mind to new ideas.": Professor John Goodenough

"To Be a Genius, Think Like a 94-Year-Old";
https://www.google.com/search?q=to+be+a ... e&ie=UTF-8

VasquezBob

Post by VasquezBob » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:55 pm

One is never too old. Stay healthy. A healthy guitarist is important for learning, teaching, playing and staying strong.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:24 pm

My response to all of this is to read my thread on PMLD.

Never take for granted what you can do - you can do enough to make some great music, even if you will probably never play Concierto de Aranjuez.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

bear

Post by bear » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:33 pm

Dead is too old. If you ain't dead, you're good.
2019 Gretsch G9126 432mm
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Return to “Public Space”