Beethoven: not feeling it!

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
musicbyandy

Re: Beethoven: not feeling it!

Post by musicbyandy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:59 am

crazyrach97 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:54 am
So I've got all these people telling me hey, the guitar composers aren't that good. Listen to Beethoven! So I am, and I'm just not getting it. It's interesting and inventive, but sorry... I'm not hearing melodic and memorable. He'll get a nice melody once in awhile (Fur Elise) but more often I'll get through a sonata or a symphony movement and realize that I can't remember a thing I just heard. Now the last movement of the 9th has a great melody that is also super famous... and to me he wrecks it by just beating it to death.

What am I missing?! Right now I'm enjoying Giuliani a lot more than Beethoven.
Hello,

Are you willing to listen to this recording of Beethoven's Op. 8 Serenade as arranged by Mateigka for violin, viola and guitar?

If so, I'm very curious to know how you feel about this Beethoven recording as compared to this recording of Giuliani's Op. 18 Serenade for violin, guitar and cello.

Please note that both of these works are multiple movements and I'd love to learn what you think of these complete works. I' hope that you'll listen to both complete works and share your opinions.

Jess Phillips

Re: Beethoven: not feeling it!

Post by Jess Phillips » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:17 am

JohnB wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:07 pm
Tom Phillips wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:43 am
The adagio from Sonata Pathetique very beautiful and melodic. Interestingly, that is one of the most played Beethoven pieces on guitar ;)
May I very tentatively point to a performance on the piano by Annie Fischer, nicknamed "Ashtray Annie" because she rarely had a cigarette out of her mouth, except when playing the piano.

It is very sad that she is so little known these days - she was one of the most remarkable pianists of the 20th century, bar none, especially in Beethoven.

Thank you for that! She is quite remarkable, indeed. I hadn't heard of her before you mentioned it, so I appreciate it :)
Cordoba C7
Godin ACS-SA
Walter Merzdorf German Lute

Return to “Public Space”