Best guitar cases?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
redmcq

Best guitar cases?

Post by redmcq » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:17 pm

Anyone have any advice for a good valued guitar case? I need something light and easy to carry around for walking to music college. Preferably have straps for over shoulders.

Also have seen soft bag things you can buy that go a case can fit into. Where can I get these from? And what would you Reccomend?

Many thanks.

Scott Phillips

Re: Best guitar cases?

Post by Scott Phillips » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:53 pm

I use a Humicase Metro II. They are like $300. It is a fiberglass case that has a rubberized finish to it. Great protection for very little cash. You may want to get a case cover for it if you are taking the bus, or traveling around on foot in public. Even without a case cover it is ok as there are back pack straps that come with the case itself. I got mine with a 10% military discount from Strings by Mail. If you are a veteran let SBM know and you get a 10% discount on your entire order. Just FYI for anyone else reading this.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:43 am

Gator makes a nice semi-rigid foam case that's very light -- but don't put anything very heavy on top of it, or fly with it unless you're carrying it on. More protective than a gig bag by far, less than a true rigid case. If I recall right, it runs less than $100. Check on Amazon for "foam guitar cases". There are a few brands besides Gator. This kind of case doesn't need a case cover.

Humicase sounds like a great choice too, ditto the advice re a case cover for it. Other than that a lot of the lightest hardshell cases tend to be very expensive, and more case that you may need right now.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Norbert

Post by Norbert » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:34 am

The Gator case you want to look at is the GL-Classic, available online. It works very well.

Marco32

Post by Marco32 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:22 am

Visesnut are the new kids on the block and are simply the best. These are flight cases but light, they fit to every guitar and are very well built.

rwe

Post by rwe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:26 am

Perhaps TRIC? Light, shoulder strap. Have no own experiences, but a colleague uses it since a few years.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:33 pm

Visesnut cases are terrific! I have one... but they're very costly; I suspect the OP is looking for something at a lower price. Unless of course he has a very high end instrument, in which case, you're right, great choice.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

es335

Post by es335 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:56 pm

Reunion Blues Continental RBC3BK or Mono Cases M80 could be of interest for you. Though in principle a gigbag they actually do offer a protection similar to a hard case and are much more comfortable to carry around. A bit pricey at about 200€ but IMHO worth every cent!

Steve O

Post by Steve O » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:35 pm

Another vote for Gator. It meets all your stated requirements, is light and easy to carry, and is affordable. The only thing an expensive carbon fibre case does better is prevent crushing damage.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:04 pm

In the UK the "standard" hard shell guitar case seems to be the Hiscox Classical Pro II (the large size seems to fit most classicals). Functional. Does the job effectively.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:13 pm

"We sell good, cheap and lightweight cases: pick two options".

My my purposes a 50 Euro case is good enough. Some people spend more on a protective cover (200+) for their high end cases (1,000+) than I would spend on what I consider a high quality case in the first place. (e.g. Hiscox)

For brand recommendations it would be useful if you said which country you are in. The fact that you mentioned "walking" to college suggests you are not in the USA.

If you are in Germany the "Rocktile" foam cases are in the 50-60 Euro range, and come with rucksack type straps and a decent outside pocket for music etc. I doubt if they are very waterproof however so I would not use them in rain. I have bought 10-15 of these and similar cases over the last few years. I suspect this is true of most foam cases. In the UK Kent guitar classics has a very nice entry level case - I would like to get some but the shipping would likely be too much.

One item I always want in a case is retaining strap for the neck - velcro is fine. The reason has nothing to do with transport but in case someone (me) lofts up the case or knocks it over with the top open. The retaining strap stops the guitar falling out and getting damaged. Over the years I have sent back some of the cheapie cases which didn't have the strap. On the cheapie end of the market, the suppliers change or make changes from one batch to the next.

MrF1

Post by MrF1 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:55 pm

I've been very impressed with two "rigid" foam cases - Super Light Classical Guitar Case and the Bowoo cases made in Brooklyn. The Super Light cases are made in Japan and there is a distributor in California for U.S. sales (also lists a few on Amazon) - the Super Light cases in a basic color go for about $200. If you buy one directly from Japan, the price goes wayyyyy up due to shipping. Bowoo cases are also super well made, very stylish, and definitely pricey at $350. I've owned both and loved them both.

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:56 pm

simonm wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:13 pm
"We sell good, cheap and lightweight cases: pick two options".

My my purposes a 50 Euro case is good enough. Some people spend more on a protective cover (200+) for their high end cases (1,000+) than I would spend on what I consider a high quality case in the first place. (e.g. Hiscox)

For brand recommendations it would be useful if you said which country you are in. The fact that you mentioned "walking" to college suggests you are not in the USA.

If you are in Germany the "Rocktile" foam cases are in the 50-60 Euro range, and come with rucksack type straps and a decent outside pocket for music etc. I doubt if they are very waterproof however so I would not use them in rain. I have bought 10-15 of these and similar cases over the last few years. I suspect this is true of most foam cases. In the UK Kent guitar classics has a very nice entry level case - I would like to get some but the shipping would likely be too much.

One item I always want in a case is retaining strap for the neck - velcro is fine. The reason has nothing to do with transport but in case someone (me) lofts up the case or knocks it over with the top open. The retaining strap stops the guitar falling out and getting damaged. Over the years I have sent back some of the cheapie cases which didn't have the strap. On the cheapie end of the market, the suppliers change or make changes from one batch to the next.
Thanks for the advice. I am based in the UK, I'll check out Kent guitar classics for a case, that's where I got my current guitar from. I'll also look out for a retaining strap.

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:58 pm

celestemcc wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:33 pm
Visesnut cases are terrific! I have one... but they're very costly; I suspect the OP is looking for something at a lower price. Unless of course he has a very high end instrument, in which case, you're right, great choice.
I do have a very high end instrument but would like to try and not spend a loads on a case as don't have lots of money to. Unless paying the extra for one of these cases is really worth it?

JRomano

Post by JRomano » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:19 pm

I cannot recommend Hiscox more highly. I've got six of them and have never been let down by one and, here in the U.K. at least, prices are reasonable. About £130. And you can stand on the things, fly with them too. They make a stronger top of the line model for a bit more, but unless you fly lots the middle range one is fine.

Return to “Public Space”