Rosewood Tribute

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2594
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Rosewood Tribute

Post by HNLim » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:38 am

The Regulation on Rosewood and Bubinga
The Convention of International Trade of Endangered Species of Flora and Fauna (CITES) which held a conference from September 24 - October 4 2016 in Johannesburg, South Africa where it was decided that all species of rosewood under the genus Dalbergia and three bubinga species (Guibourtia demeusei, Guibourtia pellegriniana, and Guibourtia tessmannii) will be protected under CITES Appendix II.

Kosso - sometimes called African rosewood (Pterocarpus erinaceus) - will also be protected.

While Brazilian Rosewood is my favourite, is currently under CITES protection, this move places all the other nearly 300 species of rosewood under similar regulation.

This includes the East Indian rosewood and Honduran rosewood - as well as woods like cocobolo (Dalbergia retusa) and African blackwood (Dalbergia melanoxylon) - that are widely used in the manufacturing of classical guitars.

I cannot imagine the future in a world without risewood classical guitar.

If this ban stays, it will be a matter of time that rosewood will disappear from the classical guitar scene.

As a tribute to this awesome wood and especially, the Brazilian rosewood. It will be nice to share your rosewood guitars or any rosewood items that you love.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

prawnheed

Re: Rosewood Tribute

Post by prawnheed » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:14 am

I like rosewood trees. Would be a great shame if they became extinct because of vanity.

randalljazz
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:41 pm
Location: anchorage, alaska

Re: Rosewood Tribute

Post by randalljazz » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:07 am

rosewood is endangered because its habitat is bring decimated for agribusiness (plantations and ranching). the wood itself is harvested (historically) mostly for its value in furniture, panelling, flooring, doors, cabinetry, and the like. use for musical instruments is a blip. we're collateral damage, so to speak.
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

User avatar
David Norton
Posts: 4682
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:12 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Re: Rosewood Tribute

Post by David Norton » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:30 am

HNLim wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:38 am
The Regulation on Rosewood and Bubinga
The Convention of International Trade of Endangered Species of Flora and Fauna (CITES) which held a conference from September 24 - October 4 2016 in Johannesburg, South Africa where it was decided that all species of rosewood under the genus Dalbergia and three bubinga species (Guibourtia demeusei, Guibourtia pellegriniana, and Guibourtia tessmannii) will be protected under CITES Appendix II.

Kosso - sometimes called African rosewood (Pterocarpus erinaceus) - will also be protected.

While Brazilian Rosewood is my favourite, is currently under CITES protection, this move places all the other nearly 300 species of rosewood under similar regulation.

This includes the East Indian rosewood and Honduran rosewood - as well as woods like cocobolo (Dalbergia retusa) and African blackwood (Dalbergia melanoxylon) - that are widely used in the manufacturing of classical guitars.

I cannot imagine the future in a world without risewood classical guitar.

If this ban stays, it will be a matter of time that rosewood will disappear from the classical guitar scene.
You're just now noticing this? :shock: It's been in place for some while now, and has been addressed in multiple threads.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2594
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Rosewood Tribute

Post by HNLim » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:18 pm

David Norton wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:30 am
HNLim wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:38 am
The Regulation on Rosewood and Bubinga
The Convention of International Trade of Endangered Species of Flora and Fauna (CITES) which held a conference from September 24 - October 4 2016 in Johannesburg, South Africa where it was decided that all species of rosewood under the genus Dalbergia and three bubinga species (Guibourtia demeusei, Guibourtia pellegriniana, and Guibourtia tessmannii) will be protected under CITES Appendix II.

Kosso - sometimes called African rosewood (Pterocarpus erinaceus) - will also be protected.

While Brazilian Rosewood is my favourite, is currently under CITES protection, this move places all the other nearly 300 species of rosewood under similar regulation.

This includes the East Indian rosewood and Honduran rosewood - as well as woods like cocobolo (Dalbergia retusa) and African blackwood (Dalbergia melanoxylon) - that are widely used in the manufacturing of classical guitars.

I cannot imagine the future in a world without risewood classical guitar.

If this ban stays, it will be a matter of time that rosewood will disappear from the classical guitar scene.
You're just now noticing this? :shock: It's been in place for some while now, and has been addressed in multiple threads.
You are not reading my post. I am asking for tribute to rosewood. Like sharing your rosewood guitar or rosewood music stand as a tribute.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

User avatar
joachim33
Posts: 947
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 pm
Location: Scania

Re: Rosewood Tribute

Post by joachim33 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:19 pm

If one wants a guitar right now, the issue is essentially the other way round. The offer of CITES free instrument is still limited. The supply chain and the wood stores are full of rosewood and rosewood instruments. I think it is to early for a swan song.

simonm
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9255
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:22 am
Location: Spain, IB

Re: Rosewood Tribute

Post by simonm » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:42 pm

HNLim wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:38 am


As a tribute to this awesome wood and especially, the Brazilian rosewood. It will be nice to share your rosewood guitars or any rosewood items that you love.
I am sure some people here must have some fantastic photos they could share. BR and IR seem to be most people's favorite woods here.

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2594
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Rosewood Tribute

Post by HNLim » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:50 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:19 pm
If one wants a guitar right now, the issue is essentially the other way round. The offer of CITES free instrument is still limited. The supply chain and the wood stores are full of rosewood and rosewood instruments. I think it is to early for a swan song.
FYI, I tried to buy a rosewood music stand but no one is prepared to send it to me in Singapore. So am I too early for the swan song?
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

User avatar
joachim33
Posts: 947
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 pm
Location: Scania

Re: Rosewood Tribute

Post by joachim33 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:10 pm

simonm wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:42 pm
HNLim wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:38 am


As a tribute to this awesome wood and especially, the Brazilian rosewood. It will be nice to share your rosewood guitars or any rosewood items that you love.
I am sure some people here must have some fantastic photos they could share. BR and IR seem to be most people's favorite woods here.
To make note stands.

I quit this discussion. The entire problem came because of people making furniture out of rosewood.

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2594
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Rosewood Tribute

Post by HNLim » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:12 pm

20181003_070935.jpg
This is one beautiful spiderweb BRW on a Japanese guitar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HNLim on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

Jason
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 7:29 pm

Re: Rosewood Tribute

Post by Jason » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:29 pm

HNLim wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:12 pm
20181003_070935.jpg
This is one beautiful spiderweb BRW on Japanese guitar.
Beautiful!
2018 Yamaha gc42s
72 Yamaha gc6d
76 Yamaha g220
71 Yamaha g100a
(At the moment)

Tonit
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 1:44 am

Re: Rosewood Tribute

Post by Tonit » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:40 am

Hi HNLim
Can I ask a couple quick questions to you?
HNLim wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:38 am
I cannot imagine the future in a world without risewood classical guitar.
If this ban stays, it will be a matter of time that rosewood will disappear from the classical guitar scene.
It surely would be and I share the concern with you.
Meanwhile, it has been known that the wood for guitars require aging for 20-30 yrs before finally being worked on. I heard 5yr is just enough for some cypress and likewise the aging period may vary I suppose.

Q1) Having said that, exactly what kind of scenario are we looking at ahead?

If we have 20-30 year aging period, then the guitar makers should have at least 20-30 year worth of stock as of now. So we would continue to see BRW or IRW guitars coming out to market for at least two to three decades before using up the current stock of wood.

And if we have the threats be successfully addressed during that period, then we would see them released again, and onward should see it on the guitar after the aging process. Then after all we would have seen no rosewoods for the period of 20-30 years. I see some of them are 1000 years old when cut down, whereas 50-100 yo rosewood trees may also be used for the guitars and other instruments. Then are we looking at some 20-50yrs without them after using up the current stock?

Q2) What kind of measures in your opinion would take them off the list?

:arrow: Is it like we should plant more rosewood trees so we won't get them further endangered, or;

:arrow: Should we (i.e. the people and their authorities) be more aggressively fight against the illegal loggers and smugglers?

If so, :arrow: Do you think the present regulation in place is the best way to possibly save the species?


Just possibly, could we come up with some great idea that in turn could be a useful input to the competent authorities, or do we have nothing to do and simply have to wait to miss them after some decades?

Can't we together take any small action against the situation?

Or should we not discuss about this?

User avatar
bacsidoan
Posts: 2767
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 1:59 am
Location: Ohio, US

Re: Rosewood Tribute

Post by bacsidoan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:06 am

Animal Skin?
DSC_0040.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gleb
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:06 pm
Location: Milan

Re: Rosewood Tribute

Post by gleb » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:26 am

bacsidoan
It looks more like the lean hen on the grill :mrgreen:

Even my Yamaha GC20A has 2 eyes but I do not understand what animal is it? :roll:

Image
Image
Yamaha GC20A (1980)
Yamaha G-245S (1981)
Yamaha G-250S (1980)
Yamaha G-255S (1980)
Aria A-558 (1978)
Aria A-50C
Mozzani-C (1968)
Kiso Suzuki-290
M.Suzuki-202
Yamaha FGX800C
Alhambra (Lucio Carbone mod)
Höfner HF14
Masaru Matano F400 1973

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2594
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Rosewood Tribute

Post by HNLim » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:06 pm

gleb wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:26 am
bacsidoan
It looks more like the lean hen on the grill :mrgreen:

Even my Yamaha GC20A has 2 eyes but I do not understand what animal is it? :roll:

Image
Image
Very nice GC20A. Don't mind sharing your guitar with more pictures here (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=106447&sid=9768692 ... a1f294d4b0)?
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

Return to “Public Space”