Suzuki or Selmer?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Alextheguitarman

Suzuki or Selmer?

Post by Alextheguitarman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:35 pm

This guitar, a good concert classical guitar, was labelled inside, on orange paper:

CLASSIC MODEL 811
Saxon (logo with a Viking helmet on the o)
EXCLUSIVE TO SELMER LONDON
FOREIGN

I can find no record on the internet of a Selmer Saxon Model 811.

The body had a lot of fluff and dust inside it.
I cleaned out the fluff using two tablespoons of rice - shaking and tipping the guitar in different directions. This was effective and the fluff + rice was vacced out successfully.

The orange label had lifted at the edges and I could see another label behind it.
Curious to know what was hidden, I carefully removed the orange "Selmer" label and found a black and white label:

MOdel No 20
SUZUKI GUITAR
JAPAN

So, with Suzuki's reputation for quality, why was an importer sticking a Selmer label over the original label?

I identified the guitar positively by trawling suzuki classical guitars on Google.
It is a KISO #20 CLASSICAL GUITAR and the style of the internal label matched the one shown on the website.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this little mystery.

Alex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Re: Suzuki or Selmer?

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:34 pm

There was a period during which "made in Japan" was synonymous with "cheap copy". Selmer perhaps thought that disguising the true origin of their imported guitars was a reasonable marketing strategy.

Alextheguitarman

Re: Suzuki or Selmer?

Post by Alextheguitarman » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:44 pm

Thank you, Mark, I had similar suspicions.

Sorry for the slow response, I was tempted out of retirement by a working trip to India.

Back to playing and improving my technique.

Alex

Return to “Public Space”