Unidentified piece, possibly from a Segovia Cd

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
guitareleven

Re: Unidentified piece, possibly from a Segovia Cd

Post by guitareleven » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:05 pm

I think that is a Coste etude, one in which Segovia misconstrued the time signature when he recorded it (i.e., as 3/4 instead of 6/8). I remember Miguel Abloniz making a point about this, using Segovia's recording as an example, in a master class. This sounds like that piece, perhaps slightly altered in the forwarding- like the party game in which a spoken phrase is whispered ear to ear through a relay chain of participants to see how it gets transformed by the time it reaches the final recipient. . I'll have to check to make sure on this.

Martin

Post by Martin » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:51 pm

guitareleven wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:05 pm
I think that is a Coste etude, one in which Segovia misconstrued the time signature when he recorded it...
I do believe you are right, sir.

It was recorded by Segovia as "Study in G minor" on his recording of studies, which was re-issued as "The Legendary Andres Segovia Vol 7",

It appears as "Leccion 29" in Coste's edition of the Sor method.
Last edited by Martin on Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gallagher

Post by Gallagher » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:36 pm

Evan wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:11 am
Thanks Martin that seemed to work.

Here is the link to the sound file

viewtopic.php?f=122&t=124698
Here's the piece played by Segovia on YouTube. It's in G minor. Your friend is playing it in E minor. Shouldn't be a copyright problem, video says there's permission.

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music Group North America

DaveLloyd

Post by DaveLloyd » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:44 pm

Wow!

Good work guys! :D

Evan

Post by Evan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:29 am

Amazing. Thanks so much for that.

Evan

Post by Evan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:27 am

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 12.02.03 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

guitareleven

Post by guitareleven » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:21 am

guitareleven wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:05 pm
I think that is a Coste etude, one in which Segovia misconstrued the time signature when he recorded it (i.e., as 3/4 instead of 6/8). I remember Miguel Abloniz making a point about this, using Segovia's recording as an example, in a master class. This sounds like that piece, perhaps slightly altered in the forwarding- like the party game in which a spoken phrase is whispered ear to ear through a relay chain of participants to see how it gets transformed by the time it reaches the final recipient. . I'll have to check to make sure on this.
As has been verified, this is a Coste etude, as I identified it to be-- but either there is another recording by Segovia which was accented differently, or it was a different guitarist's performance that Ablonix referenced in his master class to illustrate the misreading. The error wasn't playing it in 3/4 instead of 6/8, it was the reverse-- playing it in 6/8 instead of 3/4. Looking at the score, it can be seen that most of the measures could plausibly be accented as 6/8- until one gets to the cadences, which resist any rendering other than 3/4.

It's confusing to me-- I distinctly remember hearing the recording when Abloniz had it played in order to discuss the point of interpretation, and hearing the contrast, between the bulk of the piece to how the cadences emerged, which was glaring-- I knew right away what was wrong, and what was to be the substance of Abloniz's ensuing discussion- and, I also retain a distinct recollection of Abloniz revealing the identity of the performer to have been Segovia, which divulgence he had held back until after he had played the recording and had proceeded to his point.
But, there is no such error in the Segovia recording to which a link has been provided in this thread. And frankly, it would surprise the me of now greatly to have it established that Segovia would have made such a novice error. But, that master class was back when I was young, and more readily accepting without question of what I was told.

As to being young, that was the qualification that Abloniz proffered as to the guitarist we were about to hear before he played the recording, and before he said who exactly it was- he said "A young guitarist". Is it possible that Segovia did record and make available this little piece at an earlier point in his career, at which point he was so naive for his reading of it to have been as I described? It's possible, I suppose- the recording did have a different general "sound" than the one in the link offered here, suggesting a different recording circumstance, and yet the characteristic "touch" did seem enough like Segovia's, with some of whose recordings I had some familiarity, so that I had suspected that that's who it might have been even before Abloniz said it- though at that time I had trouble envisaging Segovia as ever having been characterizable as "young"-- but now I still can't credit even that explanation of it. It just seems too inept to me. And yet, the memory is so clear, of Abloniz sitting there, putting his hands on his knees and saying "Okay-- the guitarist was Segovia..."

---I don't know what to make of my own impressions.

Evan

Post by Evan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:27 pm

The youtube link of Segovia is blocked from playing in Australia, so I haven't been able to hear Segovia playing it yet, but it is great to get a little extra backstory of the piece. My friend has now relearnt it in the correct key, and is contemplating getting a nylon string guitar and delving into finger style playing.

Return to “Public Space”