Cordoba Guitars?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
robkay15

Cordoba Guitars?

Post by robkay15 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:32 pm

I was looking for a nylon string guitar for playing some classical and some jerry reed, atkins style of music, many people seem to go for the cordobas, any thoughts?
Rob

Mollbarre

Re: Cordoba Guitars?

Post by Mollbarre » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:03 am

I bought one 6 weeks ago! :D

Love it!

I had never heard of Cordoba, until I saw this one at the guitar shop - while picking up my new mandolin :lol: . I didn't need a 2nd guitar, but - in addition to it's good looks, it sounds great. My guitar teacher commented the other day on it's sound quality as well. I did however, get the crossover. I found my 'standard' classical too big - and had quit trying to learn (I play other instruments). The crossover is manageable...I'm all keen to learn again! My calluses are coming along nicely! :mrgreen:

When I joined this site a couple of weeks ago - I noticed Cordoba was one of the top factory picks! Must say something!
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

stratlanta

Post by stratlanta » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:22 am

I played a cutaway Cordoba in a local guitar store a month or so and really liked it. Almost walked out with it and still may pick one up. Played well and sounded nice. It struck me as a nice “all ‘rounder”.
Bastien Burlot "Alkemia" SP/IN, Dominique Delarue CD/MB, Stephan Connor SP/MP, Kenneth Brogger SP/AR, Sergio Perez "Segovia" CD/AR, Kris Barnett "phi" CD/EB, Lorenzo Frignani SP/IR, Dieter Müller Double Top CD/MR

metrognome

Post by metrognome » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:28 am

I am quite happy with my Cordoba. It is a C5. Lovely instrument!
Tune it up!

robkay15

Post by robkay15 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:48 am

I had a bit of a shock when i saw the price of this one....
[Mod note: Commercial link removed. (Cordoba Master Series Hauser Natural at Guitar Village for £4,499)]

Rob

J.W.C.

Post by J.W.C. » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:30 am

I recently bought a C9 Parlor and have been pleased with it. Very nice instrument for the price.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:16 pm

robkay15 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:48 am
I had a bit of a shock when i saw the price of this one....
[Mod note: Commercial link removed. (Cordoba Master Series Hauser Natural at Guitar Village for £4,499)]

Rob
The MSRP is $4800...

So - would this still be considered a "cheap" guitar, in the guitar world? :wink:

Dumb question maybe, but I'm trying to get a feel for perceptions.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

CarbonElitist

Post by CarbonElitist » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:14 pm

Mollbarre wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:16 pm
The MSRP is $4800...

So - would this still be considered a "cheap" guitar, in the guitar world? :wink:

Dumb question maybe, but I'm trying to get a feel for perceptions.
I haven’t played the hauser, but I do have the Torres model from the master series and it is worth every penny. At that price, it is bit of an investment but when compared to many other guitars of similar quality, it’s a great guitar for the asking price.
"If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving."
"When I want expert advice, I look at the comment sections on DIY videos."

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:02 pm

A C7 is a laminate. A C9 is all solid wood, mahogany back and sides. I believe top is ceder or spruce. A C10 is all solid, ceder/spruce top, rosewood back and sides. C12, I'm not too sure what makes it different than a C10. But it's about $200 more...
I play a C10 and love it. Some claim the poli finish chokes the sound or such. This is so wrong, when the poli must be 1/4 the thickness of cellophane. These guitars are loud and have deep bass. Buy the C10 and fuggeddaboudit !

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:35 pm

I bought a C 10 Spruce and I absolutely love the sound! Such amazing trebles! Perhaps the poly finish is a bit thick but otherwise I can't really find much to complain about. I'm happy I now bought a spruce top guitar, as the sound is very much the one I want.

DonnyDorsal

Post by DonnyDorsal » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:49 am

I have a C9 cedar top and it has a warm, lovely tone that is keeping my other more expensive guitars in their cases.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:55 pm

MarkInLA wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:02 pm
A C7 is a laminate. A C9 is all solid wood, mahogany back and sides. I believe top is ceder or spruce. A C10 is all solid, ceder/spruce top, rosewood back and sides. C12, I'm not too sure what makes it different than a C10. But it's about $200 more...
I play a C10 and love it. Some claim the poli finish chokes the sound or such. This is so wrong, when the poli must be 1/4 the thickness of cellophane. These guitars are loud and have deep bass. Buy the C10 and fuggeddaboudit !
The C10 is a traditional "Spanish Style" guitar with fan bracing.
The C12 is lattice braced with an elevated fretboard.

Whether the C12 is better than the C10 comes down to personal opinion/preference. But arguably it is more time consuming making a lattice braced guitar with an elevated fretboard which accounts for part of the price increase (supply/demand and marketing come in to play as well).

EDIT: I meant to add that I recently played 3 Cordoba Ukuleles (2 x 30T and 1 x 35T). All three were excellent and I could have easily walked away with any of them had I have had the money. I know these are not classical guitars however they are built using traditional guitar building processes including using a Spanish heel. Fit, finish & playability were A+ as was the tone. Based on this experience I would have no hesitation including Cordoba on my audition list if I were in the market for a better than average factory built classical guitar.

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:45 pm

Sorry to be the grinch. I played some Cordobas up to approx. EUR 1'200 in a shop and was very disappointed (volume, sound). Doesn''t know the model numbers anymore, one was a flamenca. When testing Manuel Rodríguez guitars in that price range, they all had better response and sound.
Apart from that, I was very impressed by cheap Alhambras (around EUR 350.-) when looking for a beginner's guitar for a friend.

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:28 am

+1 on the Cordobas, I have the Studio Negra. I know a guy who has the C5 CE, that was a nice guitar too, I've seen those go for around $250 used. Both models have a good amplified sound.
Dave

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:58 am

Luuttuaja wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:35 pm
I bought a C 10 Spruce and I absolutely love the sound! Such amazing trebles! Perhaps the poly finish is a bit thick but otherwise I can't really find much to complain about. I'm happy I now bought a spruce top guitar, as the sound is very much the one I want.
As I stated above, the poli finish is probably 1/4 the thickness of cellophane ! How restrictive can that be ?

Return to “Public Space”