Shorter Scale Guitars?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Chuah Hui Hsien

Re: Shorter Scale Guitars?

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:40 am

Amy,
For further illustration, please watch on Youtube - Stan Geudens plays Danza Espanola No 10 by Enrique Granados.

See how this boy balances his guitar on a dynarette cushion, the guitar sits securely without moving around.He also resting his left foot on a footstool.
2017 Karel Dedain Spruce/Maple (Torres) 64cm
1998 Yamaha GD 10, Spruce/IRW 65cm
1988 Alhambra AL 8, Cedar/IRW 65cm

Amy Gaudia

Post by Amy Gaudia » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:51 am

Chuah Hui Hsien wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:03 am
Hi, Amy,

Nice,nice guitar you have!

From the picture I noticed that the guitar head is higher than yours, and your left elbow lifted up little bit.Please try to bring the guitar lower bout up just by a slight degree, your both shoulders should look more balance.
Chuah Hui,
Thanks for your reply! I will definitely take your suggestion and make the improvement
1992 Martin 00016
2016 Pono ULN-30 (nylon string Terz guitar)
2019 Marcus Dominelli custom small body
https://youtu.be/8-tXOXd8gco

Chuah Hui Hsien

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:54 am

Hi, Amy,

Looking forward to hear you play on your Dominelli guitar!

Please inform us too what type of strings and tension that you use on your guitar.

Hui Hsien
2017 Karel Dedain Spruce/Maple (Torres) 64cm
1998 Yamaha GD 10, Spruce/IRW 65cm
1988 Alhambra AL 8, Cedar/IRW 65cm

Amy Gaudia

Post by Amy Gaudia » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:06 am

Chuah Hui Hsien wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:40 am
Amy,
For further illustration, please watch on Youtube - Stan Geudens plays Danza Espanola No 10 by Enrique Granados.

See how this boy balances his guitar on a dynarette cushion, the guitar sits securely without moving around.He also resting his left foot on a footstool.
I just watched it and it was excellent. That is exactly the way this arrangement will work for me. I only wish it would make me play like him!
1992 Martin 00016

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:55 am

Amy Gaudia wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:51 am
Chuah Hui Hsien wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:03 am
Hi, Amy,

Nice,nice guitar you have!

From the picture I noticed that the guitar head is higher than yours, and your left elbow lifted up little bit.Please try to bring the guitar lower bout up just by a slight degree, your both shoulders should look more balance.
Chuah Hui,
Thanks for your reply! I will definitely take your suggestion and make the improvement
Hi,

I use a Cushion like yours, and also a footrest occasionally as that is what I learned on, and I'm familiar with it. However I don't use them together, and I use the Cushion more often, which helps me keep my back straight and level, and also my legs and feet. The end result being my whole body is seated in a more ergonomically correct position, and playing the guitar is more comfortable with less injury risk.

So you might want to try using the Cushion without the footrest.

Hope this helps!
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

jscott

Post by jscott » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:39 pm

When I was exploring the Dynarette I ran into this problem: the support alone didn't raise the guitar far enough for me; but using the footstool at its lowest setting in conjunction with the Dynarette made my guitar too high. So I looked for a book or brick that was lower than my footstool at its lowest setting.

I ended up with the Guitarlift before I finally solved this issue.

Amy Gaudia

Post by Amy Gaudia » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:21 am

I am now using the Oasis cushion with a wood block that I made for a super low foot stool. I think my set up is nearly perfect but I am planning the get the Dynarette cushion instead of the Oasis. I will post a new photo as soon as the Oregon snow disaster melts and my power returns!
1992 Martin 00016

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:02 am

This video:

shows the GuitarLift being used with a Stauffer copy. I tried the GuitarLift on my little Roudhloff replica and I like the support on that.

spottie

Post by spottie » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:35 am

larryguitar wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:02 am
I tried the GuitarLift on my little Roudhloff replica and I like the support on that.
Did you buy the Guitar Lift in the US or order directly? I contacted them through email couple of days ago but haven't heard back. Thanks!

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:28 am

spottie wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:35 am
larryguitar wrote:
I tried the GuitarLift on my little Roudhloff replica and I like the support on that.
Did you buy the Guitar Lift in the US or order directly? I contacted them through email couple of days ago but haven't heard back. Thanks!

I ordered it from Germany. Felix will get back to you, I think.

jamesvd

Post by jamesvd » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:03 am

I have found the playability is also something to do with the nut width and string spacing. Definitely it feels so much easier with a 640mm, 50mm nut width :)

Peter Frary

Post by Peter Frary » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:09 pm

I think the Romero Creations TT6 at 430mm may be the shortest scale guitar that's playable. Well, if your hands aren't too big. It fits under an airline seat while still in the case...

I play a Tiny Tenor 6 so I look taller on stage!

jscott

Post by jscott » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:16 pm

spottie wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:35 am
larryguitar wrote:
I bought mine from a distributor in L>A.--actually, their contact person is/was a very good guitarist. I'm at work; I think its' Rafael Elizondo. You might try googling that.

dcuttler

Post by dcuttler » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:47 pm

Having been lurking here for awhile I wanted to add my thoughts to this discussion.

I am 80 years old and played a bit of classical guitar years ago using a full scale 650mm guitar, but got distracted by other interests, and put the guitar away. I recently decided to play it again and found it impossible due to arthritis and other joint pain. There were reaches that I couldn't get close to.

After switching to a ukulele for awhile I discovered fractional size guitars, and decided to give it a try. Going from 650mm to say 630mm or in that range didn't seem to offer much of a difference, so I made the decision to get a Kremona S58C 3/4 size classical guitar with a 580mm scale finger board and a nut that I measured at 49mm. For me it turned out to be a great decision. I find it very easy to play, and after changing to slightly stiffer strings, it really sounds nice.

Everyone talks about the comprise in sound, but a playable guitar with some comprises beats a guitar that sits on the shelf and never gets played.

Another positive is the cost $229.00 shipped. Mine was an "open box" from Musican's Friend.

I have no regrets.

spottie

Post by spottie » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:51 am

larryguitar wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:28 am

I ordered it from Germany. Felix will get back to you, I think.
Thank you! I got mine in the mail today and practiced with the Guitarlift for an hour. I really like it so far, felt very stable. I will see how it holds up in the long run.

Return to “Public Space”