guitar tuner what do you use?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Dave Stott

Re: guitar tuner what do you use?

Post by Dave Stott » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:20 pm

Peterson Strobo-clip HD. Every single Snark that I've owned became wonky in it's display after a years of use. I've never experienced the broken swivel that others have reported.

Wonky = If I tried to tune the 1st string, instead of showing E, it'd display a completely wrong note. The problem still existed after moving it around on the head stock & changing batteries.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2017 Cordoba C-10 Cedar
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe

bellemeade

Post by bellemeade » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:29 pm

I most often use the iphone app Guitartuna so that I can have the tuner everywhere I go.

GerryM

Post by GerryM » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:03 pm

I have two different Snarks.

The older one has the multicolor display which shows cents from -50 to +50. unfortunately the markings are rather ambiguous (3 major divisions broken into 4 subsections for 0-50 cents). I guess each dot represents 4 cents.

I also have new Snark where you can show the actual frequency readout of the string to +/- 1 hz. This is generally a higher precision than a cent unless you are talking bout the low E string. This actually works pretty well for checking intonation. The downside is that it takes quite awhile to display the readout and you cannot turn this feature on permanently. It does allow you to check a string several times before you have to press the button again. I learned that my 3rd string fretted at the 12th fret is about 3-5 Hz sharp, much less than a cent. This is actually very, very good (coming from the banjo world.)

I prefer the older simpler Snark for ease of use.

rwe

Post by rwe » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:20 pm

GerryM wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:03 pm
I also have new Snark where you can show the actual frequency readout of the string to +/- 1 hz. This is generally a higher precision than a cent unless you are talking bout the low E string. ... I learned that my 3rd string fretted at the 12th fret is about 3-5 Hz sharp, much less than a cent.
Nope. 1 Cent is 1/100 of the difference between one note and the next chromatic (!) note. Having 12 chromatic notes per octave the frequency ratio from one note to the next is 1.059463.

The frequency of the g' (12th fret of the g-string) is 392 Hz, the frequency of the g#' is 415 Hz. At this frequency 1 cent is about 0.233 Hz. 1 Hz is ca 4 cent. Even for the e" (659,26 Hz) a difference of 1 Hz is equal to 2.5 cent.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:20 pm

What are you asking about? "Just" about any old tuner?

Any/most of them are fine. I've mucked about with a lot over the years.

Clip on tuner? Probably any of them are fine. The advantage with them is that you can tune in a noisy room since it's picking up vibrations of the instrument it's clipped on to.

I'm not quite sure though, why I'm seeing so many guitars with tuners left on. Tuning is important. Obsessing about tuning isn't good. And, if your instrument can't stay in tune for the length of a playing session - maybe you need new tuners.

Apps? Guitar Tuna is fine. But my favourite is Tunable. That one is awesome. I'm not a tech person - and I don't use my phone, computer, tablet etc. for everything...but Tunable has become my go to.

I'd avoid pitch-pipes though. Have yet to find one that is actually in tune. Tuning forks however, if you can use them, are fine.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:33 pm

1) Snark makes a Hz model

2) I really like my Fender FT 1. No Hz but nice cheap tuner.
Cordoba CP110

GerryM

Post by GerryM » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:35 pm

I stand corrected. I was under the impression that a cent was 1% of the actual frequency of the note. But what do you expect, I came from banjo.

However I just tried it again and found that getting the tuner to even pick up the harmonic (the frequency readout option) at the 12th. fret is difficult. By placing the snark close to the 3rd string tuner I was finally able to the the frequency counter to register, 196 to 197 hz (to nearest 0.1 hz). It gets this on both the open string and the harmonics. And it only gives a readout other than 000.0 if you start with the open 6th and work your way up.

Looks like their $15 frequency counter isn't very reliable, or maybe the battery needs replacing.

However the frequency spectrum produced by the vibrating string is very complex. Having recorded and analyzed banjo plucked notes using Audacity I found very little of the fundamental (just a little bump in the spectrum). In fact the highest peaks were the second and third order peaks, followed by peaks visible to much higher orders. And banjo uses exactly the same steel strings as the higher strings of a steel string guitar and would vibrate in a similar fashion. Nylon is probably somewhat different with lower amounts of the higher order vibrations.

So exactly how the frequency counter decides on the actual fundamental frequency is a matter of whatever algorithm they use to sort thru all those peaks present. The same goes for any tuner, strobe or otherwise.

satanikoskioftes

Post by satanikoskioftes » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:51 am

Maybe i sound cheap but the thing that i use most of the time is DaTuner Pro on android. It doesnt take extra space,its reliable and its more difficult to forget to bring it with you

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:15 am

satanikoskioftes wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:51 am
Maybe i sound cheap but the thing that i use most of the time is DaTuner Pro on android. It doesnt take extra space,its reliable and its more difficult to forget to bring it with you
It is OK when you are tuning in a quiet place not live performance . And it is always better to have a low profile always attached tuner like Dadario the mico one

razz

Post by razz » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:51 pm

I use a Korg GT-3 or a Snark. They get close. A some point you have to trust your ears.

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:08 pm

I love my strobe tuners!

I have an old Conn ST11 strobe tuner that works perfectly. I got it as an educational toy, and sort of a nerd-appeal vintage analog curio. However, in playing with it, I found that it gave me perspective on the way notes play out over time, and that's had some spin off benefits. I eventually got a Petersen clip-on. Yes, it's a bit more expensive but it's lasting perfectly with daily use (unlike my Snark which has some bad LEDs now).

The way the strobe display varies instantaneously with subtle pitch variation is useful and informative. For other types of electronic tuner, the response time is noticeably slower and less sensitive.

I've seen some complaints that the Petersen clip-on is difficult in a noisy environment and I can see why. Once it's on my headstock, mine is sensitive enough to detect the notes from another guitar in the room or even voices. However, if I start to tune, it immediately responds to that and doesn't get confused.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

mvp019a

Post by mvp019a » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:38 pm

I have a Peterson VS-II on my bench for doing setups and intonating. WIsh they were still making these - I dread the day mine dies.

For clip-ons, I have various Snarks, and all are good, but my favorite clip-on is the Yamaha GCT1; works great - my only gripe is that is is not as flexible for visual positioning as the Snarks. But they can be bought for about $10-15 so I ain't complaining.
Mark

2007 Ignacio Rozas 1A, 2016 Mark Usherovich Traditional Classical, Prudencio Saez Model 34

mvp019a

Post by mvp019a » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:56 pm

Plus, we all need to keep in mind - you can never really get a guitar to be in tune, you can only try to make it less out of tune.
Mark

2007 Ignacio Rozas 1A, 2016 Mark Usherovich Traditional Classical, Prudencio Saez Model 34

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:07 pm

Got Snark Tuner (ST-8HZ) I don't like it.
Last edited by Thomas on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StringJunky

Post by StringJunky » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:50 pm

I've been using the Cleartune app on my phone. It seems reasonably accurate (to my ear, at least) so far.

Return to “Public Space”