Johann Strauss Guitar Quartet

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
musicbyandy

Johann Strauss Guitar Quartet

Post by musicbyandy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:01 pm

I recently read that in the early 1820s Johann Strauss Senior played viola in a quartet including Josef Lanner on violin and the Drahanek brothers on clarinet and guitar. I'm wondering if anyone knows of surviving music that this Lanner/Strauss/Drahanek quartet might have played.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Re: Johann Strauss Guitar Quartet

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:55 am

Begin your search by seeking out "Schrammelmusik" - be aware though, that the guitar used in Strauss' quartet was most likely a contraguitar with added basses. Contraguitars are still quite common and may be picked up very, very cheaply - even originals go for as little as £500. By chance I have recently ordered a later one (c.1920) - rosewood back & sides, spruce table etc., cost only £650.

Schrammelmusik is still performed today though the clarinet is often replaced by the accordeon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGU7MhlhXfk

If you search for some of the modern bands you might be able to track down a few scores.

musicbyandy

Re: Johann Strauss Guitar Quartet

Post by musicbyandy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:21 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:55 am
Begin your search by seeking out "Schrammelmusik" - be aware though, that the guitar used in Strauss' quartet was most likely a contraguitar with added basses. Contraguitars are still quite common and may be picked up very, very cheaply - even originals go for as little as £500. By chance I have recently ordered a later one (c.1920) - rosewood back & sides, spruce table etc., cost only £650.

Schrammelmusik is still performed today though the clarinet is often replaced by the accordeon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGU7MhlhXfk

If you search for some of the modern bands you might be able to track down a few scores.
Thanks! I've read about Schrammelmusik in regards to it being Austrian and including guitar and clarinet. When I read about the Strauss quartet I thought about Schrammelmusik. I'd like to learn more about the connection between Schrammelmusik and waltz.

Return to “Public Space”