Ponce - publishing a new edition

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
smoon01

Ponce - publishing a new edition

Post by smoon01 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:43 pm

Hi all,

I think i read Manuel Ponce has just come out of copyright. Can anyone confirm this?

If so, would I be able to publish my own edition with revised fingerings etc?

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Ponce - publishing a new edition

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:07 pm

Well the question (as I understand it) is whether you can show that you have gained proper access to the originals. The danger is that if you simply take the basic notes from other editions, and something within is changed from the original, that change can be deemed under the copyright of whoever made the change. It doesn't help that for the Segovia repertoire Ponce, Segovia made radical changes and he is still in copyright.
You may find that by referring to the urtext Schott edition and gaining their permission to use it as a basis for your own work you have a safe legal basis; I suspect others will be hard at work at the same thing already or almost ready to publish.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

Peter Frary

Post by Peter Frary » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:16 pm

If you can find the lost Ponce preludes and suite movements you might make a wee stir. Maybe they fell behind the dresser in Ponce's home...
I play a Tiny Tenor 6 so I look taller on stage!

Wesjr1

Post by Wesjr1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:40 pm

If the original Ponce copyright protection has expired, the music itself and the original autograph manuscript would then become Public Domain (you could then freely play the music however you wished, or use the original manuscript). However, any subsequent publications of the sheet music, arrangements, etc, would be under copyright of the publishers (the publishers of sheet music own the copyrights to those publications/arrangements). If you plan to use an already published copy to work from, you would need to check the date it was published and, if still in copyright, contact the publisher for permission to re-publish it with your own revisions/arrangements.
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

erichert

Post by erichert » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:46 pm

If someone could find the manuscript, the Sonata Mexicana could certainly use some updating.

Return to “Public Space”