Impending closure of the Portuguese and Japanese forums

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Impending closure of the Portuguese and Japanese forums

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:21 pm

Dear Members,

I'm sorry, but on December 1st 2008 I will be closing down the Portuguese and Japanese language forums. I will also be closing the Portuguese and Japanese miniforums on the other forums of the site.

These forums will be closed in the same way as the old forums http://www.klassiekegitaar.com/ and http://www.klassischengitarre.com/
That is to say that it will be possible to read the old messages and send private messages, but it will no longer be possible to register or to post new public messages.

I have asked the moderators of these forums to invite members to organize amongst themselves some way in which they can continue to talk together in their language. The best thing (and what I am hoping for) would be for a moderator or a member of each of these forums to open a new forum for members to continue to talk together elsewhere in their own language. Another good solution would be for them to select an existing forum on which to continue their discussions. I am happy to make public the links to the new URLs as soon as the moderators of the Portuguese and Japanese forums let me know what they are. I have said a big "thank you" to the moderators of these forums, and am aware of their efforts to make these forums the best possible. They and I have done some good work together.

Since 2001, when I created Delcamp.net, I have been working from 6am until midnight (sometimes longer). In any case I devote 6 to 12 hours a day to the site and to the forums. On top of that, I have my job as professor of guitar, all of which means that I am a little tired from so much work and so many responsibilities.

I hope to cut down, but to continue to do the best I can.

Cordially,

Jean-François Delcamp
:( + ♫ = :)

Paul

Re: Impending closure of the Portuguese and Japanese forums

Post by Paul » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:58 pm

Jean-François Delcamp wrote:I devote 6 to 12 hours a day to the site and to the forums.
I had no idea so much of your time is needed to maintain the forums. I did realise that you must be spending a tremendous amount of time engraving so many pieces for the use of the forums which is really appreciated by everyone and is a real gift to so many guitarists. It is a pity that more of the mundane tasks can't be delegated to others to give you some relief, but it is difficult since the site and forums are your creation and others may not have the same sense of responsibility and ownership.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Paul

yavannildi

Post by yavannildi » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:51 pm

I sincerely regret the closing of these fora as I have been making a lot of propaganda of them. Unfortunately many of my countrymen do not speak any other language due to our deficient educational system. However we do have many guitar fora by some great professionals here. I'll try to tune in here and there so if anything interesting happens I can report either way. So space for debate we still have, but we will miss the international interaction provided by you. Anyway I suppose that those of us will still be part of the existing fora as I will. There is one thing i would like to ask: May I make a copy of the delcamp volumes (not so many, mind) for a group of fellow guitarrists here in my town?

:( :( :(

Anyway I`like to thank you, professor, for all the beautiful work done. I really have felt much happier after knowing this site and working with all the goodies disponible for us.

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:06 pm

JFD, thank you for all of the hard work you have put into the forums. It is most appreciated by thousands of guitarists from around the world. :)

I do have a question, though. What will become of the repository of MP3s from those forums?

As stated here, the Portuguese forum houses MP3s for levels 5 and 9, and the Japanese forum has levels 6-8.

With those forums going to "read only", no one will be able to register, post, or join the respective "002 groups", effectively taking away access to this treasure trove, and stifling the goal of having all the Delcamp scores recorded to serve as models, since no further MP3s can be contributed.

I hope you will consider migrating the collection of level 5-9 MP3s across the remaining forums.

:merci:

John Aguilera

Post by John Aguilera » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:31 pm

Yes - I agree about moving the mp3s of the Delcamp scores - as I will soon be at level 5 (crossfingers) and would like to listen to the music first... before attempting the more difficult parts.

Thank you for all your work !!!! It is greatly appreciated !!!

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:06 pm

Je vais modifier l'identification des MP3 par niveau.

Je compte améliorer le principe des MP3 et vidéos par niveau.
Pour cela, je vais avoir besoin de l'aide de programmeurs qui connaissent le langage PHP et qui connaissent les forums PHPBB.

En gros je vais ajouter des tags aux titres des MP3, PDF et vidéos. Ces tags ressembleront à :
NO1 pour indiquer le niveau 1
NO3 le niveau 3

ainsi au lieu d'avoir
Adriaenssen, Emmanuel; Branle Anglais - Anonymous - it 44
vous aurez
Adriaenssen, Emmanuel; Branle Anglais N01 - Anonymous - it 44

au lieu de
Albeniz, Isaac; Asturias - Denian Arcoleo - en 20
vous aurez
Albeniz, Isaac; Asturias N08- Denian Arcoleo - en 20

à l'avenir, en faisant une recherche dans le catalogue http://www.delcamp.net/infos/catalogue/ ... r_mp3.html avec N04 vous trouverez tous les mp3 du niveau 4. 8)
Cette nouvelle méthode a de nombreux avantages car elle s'adapte à toutes de sortse de fichiers et pas seulement aux MP3.
Les membres pourront poster les mp3 dans n'importe quel forum, avec ou sans tag.

Pour réaliser cela, j'ai besoin d'un module pour PHPBB, un module (MOD) qui me permette de lister et de renommer facilement les titres des topics des forums contenant des MP3 ou des vidéos ou des PDF.

Le travail sur ce projet se fera sur un forum dédié à la programmation pour PHPBB.
Les personnes qui peuvent aider doivent me le dire ne réponse à mon message.
Ces personnes pourront s'inspirer du MOD qui déjà me permet déjà de lister tous les MP3 des forums : http://www.delcamp.net/infos/catalogue/ ... r_mp3.html

Merci de votre aide.
Jean-François Delcamp

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:54 pm

Jean-François Delcamp wrote:I am going to change the identification of MP3s by level.

I intend to improve the way in which MP3s and videos are defined by level.
For this I will need the help of programmers who know the PHP programming language and who are familiar with phpBB forums.

Basically I am going to add tags to the titles of MP3s, PDFs and videos. These tags will look like:
NO1 to indicate level 1
NO3 for level 3

so instead of having
Adriaenssen, Emmanuel; Branle English - Anonymous - it 44
you will have
Adriaenssen, Emmanuel; Branle English N01 - Anonymous - it 44

instead of
Albeniz, Isaac; Asturias - Denian Arcoleo - en 20
you will have
Albeniz, Isaac; Asturias N08 - Denian Arcoleo - en 20

In future, by searching in the catalogue http://www.delcamp.net/infos/catalogue/ ... r_mp3.html with the term N04 you will find all the mp3s of Level 4. 8)

This new method has many advantages because it can be adapted to all types of files, not just MP3s.
Members will be able to post mp3s in any forum, with or without a tag.

To achieve this, I need a module (MOD) for phpBB, one which would allow me to list and easily rename the titles of the topics of those forums containing MP3s, videos or PDFs.

This work will be carried out on a forum dedicated to phpBB programming. Anyone who can help should let me know in reply to this message. These people will be able to take inspiration from the MOD which already allows me to list all the MP3s in all forums: http://www.delcamp.net/infos/catalogue/ ... r_mp3.html

Thank you for your help.
Jean-François Delcamp
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:30 am

That will make it very easy to find pieces of a certain level.

At the moment the site's built in search function doesn't allow words of 3 or fewer letters. Perhaps the tags need to be 4 letters long, or the search function needs to be expanded to include 3 letter words?

I can now see why you need to spend so many hours maintaining the site! Unfortunately I have no experience in programming so am unable to offer help in that regard.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Paul

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:19 am

barrigudo wrote:...At the moment the site's built in search function doesn't allow words of 3 or fewer letters. Perhaps the tags need to be 4 letters long, or the search function needs to be expanded to include 3 letter words?
:bravo:

:idea: vous avez raison, alors je propose que les tags indiquent aussi le nombre d'instrument :
1n01 solo du niveau 1
2n01duo du niveau 1
3n06 trio du niveau 6
+n05 ensemble de guitare du niveau 5

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:44 am

barrigudo wrote:At the moment the site's built in search function doesn't allow words of 3 or fewer letters.
I must apologise for this comment. It is not 100% accurate. :oops: I can search for 3 letter words, but not if they are very common. I cannot search for "owl" because it is too common.

I think it is a good idea to label the mp3's with 1n01, 2n01 etc. I just tried a search for +n05, but the search function ignored the "+". What about using "t" for "tutti" (is the french, "tous or toutes" ?) i.e. tn05 ?

Regards,

Paul

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:30 am

Hi Paul,
EN07 ou TN07 pour indiquer un Ensemble ou un Tutti de guitares de niveau 7
CN09 pour indiquer un Concerto pour guitare de niveau 9

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:00 pm

Hi M. Delcamp,

If this is the tag for the MP3:
Albeniz, Isaac; Asturias CN08 - Denian Arcoleo - en 20
then there is no place for the TN08 tag. Apologies, my incorrect suggestions have made your day more difficult :oops: :desole:

Your first suggestion is the best:
Albeniz, Isaac; Asturias N08 - Denian Arcoleo - en 20
The search function is ok for "N08" because it is not a common word, like "owl" (apologies to owl, but it is difficult to find her excellent recordings).

If you want more information you need to make more tags (solo, duet, trio, ensemble...)
Albeniz, Isaac; Asturias N08 solo - Denian Arcoleo - en 20

(You can see I have no experience in phpBB!!!!!!) :(

Paul

yavannildi

Post by yavannildi » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:35 pm

Hi Mr. Delcamp

If you need some MANUAL help i.e. transcribing catalogues of whatever, count me in. I have some experience as system analist and programmer but NOT with the langagues used for pcs.

Rolinka

Den
Location: East of Toronto, Ontario, Canada (plenty of raccoons, skunks, coyotes, foxes and beavers)

Post by Den » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:11 am

It's too bad, I actually signed up for Portugese and Japanese classes just to participate in those forums. Please don't close down the Serbo-Croatian forum, I've signed up for that language too! :lol:

yavannildi

Post by yavannildi » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:56 am

Den wrote:It's too bad, I actually signed up for Portugese and Japanese classes just to participate in those forums. Please don't close down the Serbo-Croatian forum, I've signed up for that language too! :lol:
:smorfia: want some portuguese lessons? :mrgreen:

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”