The Rak Innovation

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
syrinx666pan

The Rak Innovation

Post by syrinx666pan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:13 am

When I was reading an Interview with Stepan Rak I knew some of his guitar methods and they inspire me well. This is where I learned that you must bring out "music" herself out of the guitar and not over-value the "instruments technicality".
However I've been thinking if his innovation on the right hand fingering could step into the mainstream. He uses the front of his nails and also uses the x finger. His reason is to balance the body because not all parts of the hands were used in the guitar, as in the case of the thumb on the left hand and the pinkie on the right hand.
When I asked this to my professor in music, he just told me that Segovia didn't need his x finger or the front of his nails in order to produce a better tone in the guitar.
(I never asked him another question ... I'm afraid we go to a debate that he might take in paranoia and screw me out of school, hehe. And he's short-tempered often)

Luis_Br

Re: The Rak Innovation

Post by Luis_Br » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:56 pm

It is just not really an inovation. The technique of using both sides of the finger is called "dedillo" and I've read somewhere that lutenists already used it as well as baroque guitarists. Yamashita uses this technique a lot and he can even do a tremolo in "dedillo" with the pinky while playing chords with other 4 fingers.

I use the "dedillo" in some particular passages, but more as an effect, to generate a particular sound, than as a tool to speed. I think it is very useful particullary on the thumb (called alzapua by the flamenco players). The problem is that I can't really reach the same great tone with the front of the nails because I need to use the flesh together with the nail in order to get a great tone without being too noisy or thin. I believe that is the reason most guitarists don't use this technique normally.

If you search the forum you will find a lot of topics discussing about the use of the little finger.

cheers,
Luis

Gil_Wade

Post by Gil_Wade » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:06 pm

syrinx666pan wrote:When I was reading an Interview with Stepan Rak I knew some of his guitar methods and they inspire me well. This is where I learned that you must bring out "music" herself out of the guitar and not over-value the "instruments technicality".
However I've been thinking if his innovation on the right hand fingering could step into the mainstream. He uses the front of his nails and also uses the x finger. His reason is to balance the body because not all parts of the hands were used in the guitar, as in the case of the thumb on the left hand and the pinkie on the right hand.
When I asked this to my professor in music, he just told me that Segovia didn't need his x finger or the front of his nails in order to produce a better tone in the guitar.
(I never asked him another question ... I'm afraid we go to a debate that he might take in paranoia and screw me out of school, hehe. And he's short-tempered often)
There are all sort of interesting ideas, theories, "new" ways to approach technique. It is good to know about them. But for too many of use they are just side-roads that take us away from practicing and working on bettering our guitar skills. Too many distractions, not enough focus. Good tone can only be learned through practice, practice, practice.

Gil
Gil ( o )===:::

Gilbert Wade, Certified Music Practitioner

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be silent if no bird sang except the best." Anonymous

"I get a lot of requests...but I play anyway." from a cartoon

paulcroft

Post by paulcroft » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:58 pm

I think it's very sad that any student should feel inhibited from asking questions of their own teacher; I often wish mine asked more, an inquisitive and investigative mind is surely what we should all both have ourselves and encourage in others. The answer quoted was simply depressing.
The original post didn't mention tone as an issue by the way.

Paul.

Gil_Wade

Post by Gil_Wade » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:49 pm

paulalancroft wrote:I think it's very sad that any student should feel inhibited from asking questions of their own teacher; I often wish mine asked more, an inquisitive and investigative mind is surely what we should all both have ourselves and encourage in others. The answer quoted was simply depressing.
The original post didn't mention tone as an issue by the way.

Paul.
I think that every teacher should entertain questions. But if I don't inhibit myself I will spend the whole time asking questions and not making any progress in my studies. I have seen many theories out there that some have championed...but the ones I take the time to learn from my teacher seem to do me the most good. Just my point of view...I can be easily distracted!

Gil
Gil ( o )===:::

Gilbert Wade, Certified Music Practitioner

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be silent if no bird sang except the best." Anonymous

"I get a lot of requests...but I play anyway." from a cartoon

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”