Easiest Bach Suite?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Mickmac

Easiest Bach Suite?

Post by Mickmac » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:05 pm

Which in the opinion of forum members is the easiest of JS Bach's lute or cello suites to learn as a whole?
Last edited by Mickmac on Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Les Backshall
Luthier

Re: Easiest Bach Suite?

Post by Les Backshall » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:16 pm

Cello Suite No. 1 in G major, BWV 1007 - usually transcribed in D major. Many recordings of this for guitar - Celedonio Romero's is a good one.

Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:25 pm

Les Backshall wrote:Cello Suite No. 1 in G major, BWV 1007 - usually transcribed in D major. Many recordings of this for guitar - Celedonio Romero's is a good one.

Les
I second that. The Stanley Yates' version transcribed in C major is easier to play, with less extra bass notes, i.e., more faithful to the original.

cheesesmitten1

Post by cheesesmitten1 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:31 pm

The easiest suite is the one that appeals to you the most and that you would feel most pleased to be able to play 4 me it is 997 and 1006

oompaloompa

Post by oompaloompa » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:12 pm

I've been told that BWV 995 is the easiest of the lute suites. (Not that the prelude looks particularly easy...)

terrry

Post by terrry » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:33 pm

I would say Cello Suite no. 1 in G major BWV 1007. Recordings are the most commonly available and scores are easy to find. I heard that most people start off with this suite.

wilhelmreich

Post by wilhelmreich » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:41 pm

And what particular parts from the first suite are the easiest? What Delcamp grade would they be?

Sean

Post by Sean » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:50 am

The first Lute Suite isn't bad from a length standpoint; some of the other suites feature quite lengthy works that, for my mind, are difficult to memorize. Once upon a time, I could write the first lute suite from memory onto staff paper. Fat chance of that now!

wilhelmreich

Post by wilhelmreich » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:52 am

Are the lute suites easier than the cello suites? Are the violin suites the hardest?

David Crooks

Post by David Crooks » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:29 pm

For what it's worth, because it isn't much relevant to the guitar, cello players reckon that No.3 in C major is the most approachable, technically and musically.

Cookie

jfdana

Post by jfdana » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:13 am

BWV 1007 is wonderful for several reasons:

1: it is relatively straightforward technically and, thus, accessible to many guitarists;
2: it is not profoundly difficult while being profound musically;
3: it demands (in the versions that hue closely to the 'cello originals; e.g., Yates, Wright) that one wring as much tone and phrasing as possible from the guitar;
4: it provides certain technical challenges (see 3, above) that can be applied to other music; &
5: it is a great addition to one's repertoire.

I recommend Jordi Savall's recording of the minuets and gigue, found on "Les Vois Humaines," for examples of phrasing which elevate the music beyond the mere notes, and regret that he hasn't recorded all the Suites.

In any event, a valuable entrance into the world of Bach that is rewarding, both immediately and over time, and which adds immeasurably to one's sense of music in all genres.

JD

John O

Post by John O » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:32 am

wilhelmreich wrote:Are the lute suites easier than the cello suites? Are the violin suites the hardest?
Not really. The 2nd Lute Suite has an especially nasty fugue. The Violin Sonatas and Partitas are generally more difficult than the Cello Suites, too. The Fugues in the Sonatas are all quite demanding, as is the Chaconne from the 2nd Partita. To play any of theses Suites/Sonatas/Partitas requires advanced technique and musical understanding.

canoe man

Post by canoe man » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:32 am

I have learned most of the Bach suites, I think cello suite # 3, 1009 is by far the easiest.

montana

Post by montana » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:50 am

bwv 999 is not to hard

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:14 am

I've just noticed a review in the Oct 09 Classical Guitar magazine of an edition of Cello suites 1 - 4 by Richard Wright (Cadenza Music). This volume was apparently prepared to introduce guitarists to playing Bach to fit the ethos of the new associated Board guitar syllabus. It takes the approach of sticking much more closely Bach's original notes with less of the extra basses that are usually added and careful attention to fingering to bring out the texture of the music. I haven't seen this volume myself but the reviewer (Stephen Kenyon) does praise it as succeeding in presenting Bach in a way that can be approached at an earlier stage than other editions.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Return to “Public Space”