I need your help to reinvigorate the Spanish forum

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

I need your help to reinvigorate the Spanish forum

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:08 pm

Hello everyone,

Although the statistics for the Spanish language forum are steadily improving:
February 2010 : 289 visits per day
April 2010 : 561 visits per day
June 2010 : 668 visits per day
August 2010 : 902 visits per day
October 2010 : 1.165 visits per day
I feel it would be useful to ask for your help to inject new life more strongly into the http://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/ forum.

In view of the importance of the Spanish language in the guitar world, it seems to me that there could be more life in this forum, especially where amateurs are concerned.

I ask those who can read and write Spanish if they could lend me their help in the next 6 months, in order to boost the level of communication with the members of that forum. If some of you could join in discussions in Spanish from time to time, even if only for a few days per month, we could get things moving in the right direction.

Unfortunately I don't speak Spanish but for my part I'm planning to contribute in another way. If I get support, I intend to publish an mp3 a day (levels D01 to D04) for the next six months, to provide examples for beginners and so render a service to isolated amateurs. With the help of a French/Spanish translator, it could be very rewarding for everyone.

I believe aiming this effort at amateurs would be the best option, since Spanish speaking professional guitarists are already well served by the artelinkado forum.

Best regards,
Jean-François
:( + ♫ = :)

Joe de V

Re: I need your help to reinvigorate the Spanish forum

Post by Joe de V » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:14 pm

You may count on me to cooperate as much as possible. (Puede depender con mi cooperacion para utilizar los servicios en espanol tan amenudo como sea posible).

Tiago

Post by Tiago » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:48 pm

The segregation of the forums unfortunately doesn't help.

If one register would allow access to all forums, all forums would grow, and the communication between them (and in them) would be much greater.

What happens is that probably the majority of users register on the forum of their native language and then the English forum. However, because of the necessity to have several registers on what seems to be the same forum, with the same love for music, the same interests, the same questions, the same concerns, but in a different language, one decides to focus mainly on one.
I'm sure there are many users that speak more than 2 or 3 languages, but they only talk on one forum, their native, or the English one.

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:39 am

@ jrldev;
:merci: merci beaucoup

@ Tiago,
:desole: I don't speak english,
Si il est possible, sans problème de sécurité pour les bases de données et sans problème d'évolution vers les prochaines mises à jour de phpBB, de faire en sorte qu'il suffise de s'inscrire à un seul forum pour avoir accès à tous les forums : je suis d'accord pour entreprendre la démarche permettant d'y aboutir.
Je demande donc leur avis à ceux qui connaissent PHP et les bases SQL : est-ce possible ?
:( + ♫ = :)

Dragonbones

Post by Dragonbones » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:52 am

I already post in both areas and will continue doing so. :bye:
Pleasure is spread through the earth In stray gifts to be claimed by whoever shall find. —William Wordsworth

2008 Sergio Huerta concierto,
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:00 am

Jean-François Delcamp wrote: @ Tiago,
If it is possible, without posing any security problem for the databases and without causing any problems in upgrading to future releases of the phpBB software, to come up with something where it is enough to register with one forum in order to gain access to all the forums: I'm happy to undertake the necessary steps to achieve this.
So I ask advice from those who know about PHP and SQL databases: is this possible?
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Tiago

Post by Tiago » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:42 pm

Jean-François Delcamp wrote:@ jrldev;
:merci: merci beaucoup

@ Tiago,
Si il est possible, sans problème de sécurité pour les bases de données et sans problème d'évolution vers les prochaines mises à jour de phpBB, de faire en sorte qu'il suffise de s'inscrire à un seul forum pour avoir accès à tous les forums : je suis d'accord pour entreprendre la démarche permettant d'y aboutir.
Je demande donc leur avis à ceux qui connaissent PHP et les bases SQL : est-ce possible ?
Why not use the same user database for all forums?

llebron

Post by llebron » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:46 pm

I registered on that forum a while back but it's been some time since I'v used it. If you can tell what my userid was I will trying spending some time there.

thanks,

Luis
Luis R. Lebron

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:09 pm

Hi Luis,

I took the precaution of removing your email from your post, as we discourage the divulging of email addresses on the open forum - it attracts spambots!

There is an account on the Spanish forum with the username luislebron, which I would guess is yours. I hope you still remember the password, as I can't tell you that, but let me know if you've forgotten it as there is a way to get a new one.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

JohnRoss

Post by JohnRoss » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:20 am

[quote="GeoffB" translating for "Jean-François Delcamp"]
If it is possible, without posing any security problem for the databases and without causing any problems in upgrading to future releases of the phpBB software, to come up with something where it is enough to register with one forum in order to gain access to all the forums: I'm happy to undertake the necessary steps to achieve this.
So I ask advice from those who know about PHP and SQL databases: is this possible?
[/quote]
Yes, it's sure to be possible, dunno how easy. We don't know exactly how you have set things up to separate the different languages in the first place. Theoretically, it should be possible to write a script in no time to add, e.g., all the ES users to the standard database. Give me/us more information, and I/we'll probably need to see code.

The most orthodox and trouble-free way to do this would be to allow me (or whoever) access to backups and so on so that we could first set up an off-line test site/environment, to make sure the integration could be done without risk of downtime, etc.

(PM me or better still e-mail me if you want to keep me up to date on this - I'm frankly cheesed off with things here, lately, and I'm not monitoring the site all that regularly. But I would really like to help with this particular matter.)

wchymeUS

Post by wchymeUS » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:47 am

Oui c'est possible. Il y a plusieurs approches, et sans doute la moins difficile a realiser est d'automatiser l'inscription sur tous les fora a la fois. L'inconvenient est que les utiliateurs devront se connecter manuellement a chaque forum (mais avec le meme login et password).
Je pars du principe que l'inscription aux groupes sera independente dans tous les fora. On pourra envisager ensuite une sorte d'heritage de droits: une routine qui regulierement applique l'access maximum a tous les fora (ex: utilisateur X a acces au groupe 002 dans forum Anglais mais pas dans les autres, la routine lui donnera l'acces au group 002 dans les autres fora automatiquement).

Je pars aussi du principe que les differents fora sont maintenant installe sur des machines differentes.

Autre inconvenient c'est que le nombre d'utilisateurs global n'aura plus de sens... amis a priori c'est deja le cas puisque les gens s'enregistrent sur tous ou presque tous les fora.

Aussi il faudra discuter de comment on regle la migration des utilisateurs existants qui ont deja un compte sur un autre forum...

Juste une piste...

---------
Yes it's possible. There are several approaches, and I believe the least complicated consists in automatically creating the same account on all fora at registration time. The drawback is that one will have to login (with the same credentials though) on individual forums.
Group subscription will still be done automatically on each forum and a routine can be developed to propagate the same rights across forums.
I am also assuming that currently forums are installed on separate boxes (but yet same LAN so DBs are reachable).
Other side effect is that the global user count will be meaningless, although it's already the case since we have multiple accounts.

On top of that we would have to deal with existing accounts and see how we delete duplicates.

my $0.02

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:39 am

Thanks for your comments so far. There is a new thread now for the question of a single registration to all forums: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53555&start=0. There are a few more details there. Could I please ask those of you who have commented on this issue to post again on that thread and copy your replies across there? (I can't just move the posts myself, unfortunately, since they predate the first post in that thread). Thank you.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

LVR

Post by LVR » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:44 pm

I responded to the call to "help reinvigorate the Spanish forum" by posting in the section labeled "Spanish" in the index under International, and I noticed that at least one other forum member did the same. This got few replies, but from one of them I gathered that there was, somewhere, a more extensive Spanish Forum, which turns out to be accessed by selecting the red and yellow flag at the top of the page. I'm not sure that this is obvious to everyone; it certainly wasn't to me. After all, most people who speak Spanish are not from Spain and everything else in the Forum is accessed by an index word, not a flag. Maybe you'd get more help if you let people know where this Spanish Forum is.
The basic thing about playing the guitar is the pleasure you get from it. There's nothing wrong with pleasure is there?
Julian Bream

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:00 pm

To be fair to M. Delcamp, he did give a link to the main Spanish forum in his post:
Jean-François Delcamp wrote:I feel it would be useful to ask for your help to inject new life more strongly into the http://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/ forum.
but I take your point that in normal circumstances the little flag symbols are not very obvious, and it might indeed be useful to give a clearer link.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”