Feel nervous when I play in front of an audience.

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
saibharath

Feel nervous when I play in front of an audience.

Post by saibharath » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:18 pm

Hello every
I am an intermediate where i feel nervousness when i am playing infront of audiences and when i get nervousness i forget the whole pieces and i dont know what to do at that point, please help me out to come out of this fear.You people can give me some good ideas to get ride of this fear,so i dont have to forget my pieces any more.

:( :( :(

lleiro

Re: Feels nervouse when i play infront of audience.

Post by lleiro » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Hi saibharath!

First of all you are not the only one... Some of the greatest instrumentalist do have fear of stage too.

I my self have experienced it too at times and some other times I didn't.

The one thing that seems to help a lot is preparation. I know this may sound like a common place but is true.

Now what is preparation??? That's the key. Unfortunately, too many people confuse good preparation with hours of repetition and they are not the same.
Hours of repetition can provide you with a solid ground only if you are doing things right!!! if not???? Beware! because you are repeating your own mistakes and hesitations over and over again.

Another things to explore is the environment and the repertoire you are playing. Are you playing because you really want to or you are playing because you are supposed to be playing there? Are you playing pieces that you love and understand or you are playing pieces that you barely understand and were not even chosen by you? Are the pieces' technical demand at your level or you are barely able to play them?

The reason I ask this question is because most of us have gone through similar situations and the most you are aware of them the better prepared you will be...

For example you are a Junior at a college level and for your Junior recital you have to play a contemporary piece but you like none of those crazy pieces...(I am characterizing here) instead you deeply love the music of Sor, Giuliani, Tarrega, Barrios etc... BUT YET!!! You have to play such piece any way because is a requirement for your degree... The question is... do you think is going to be easy??? How do you see your chances of doing a great job comparing to the choice of playing Barrios' Cathedral? I tell you... is going to be tough and there is a risk that you may even feel that you are not worth of this career... But hold your horses!!! In music degrees/careers there are too many impositions and too little time devoted to explore how to get the best out of YOU and that is one of the biggest mistakes of music institutions (and I talk out of experience)

So, before making this thread last forever I tell you that stage freight has a lot to do with comfort and awareness... If you are doing something that is not that much in line with your will, give your self credit for doing such a thing and be realistic on the results you expect. If you are doing something that you love deeply, do the best you can, be professional about all the minutes you work towards the performance, Don't leave any details to chance (NONE) and I mean both right and left hand fingerings, dynamics, musical form, style, performance style etc....

Finally let me recommend you a couple of books that can help:

The Natural Classical Guitarist by Lee Ryan: ( http://www.*** Commercial link removed ***/Natural-Classical ... 0933224508 )

The art of practicing by Madelaine Bruser (http://www.*** Commercial link removed ***/Art-Practicing-Gu ... 0609801775 )

And remember that none of this approaches will work until you attach and adjust to them your own personal story, virtues and defects...

Hope it helps and good luck!!!

dmbruenjes

Re: Feels nervouse when i play infront of audience.

Post by dmbruenjes » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:50 pm

Preparation is most of yes, but also simply doing it over and over again until you lose the fear helped me out tremendously. After playing so many recitals/open mics etc., eventually you've done it all- flubbed an entire piece, screwed up in front of the whole music school, blanked on a passage...Once you've done all those things and survived, you prove to yourself that it isn't so bad. I would say for advice, just imagine that it is a great opportunity to play in front of people! You finally get to share the music you love and pay off all your hard work! Take your time, don't worry what people are thinking, they are much more forgiving and eager to hear you do well, they aren't waiting for you to flubb a note so they can laugh and throw banana peels (hopefully). Try and get your willingness to share the music to be a little more on your mind than the fear of failing.

Tom_Spencer

Re: Feel nervous when I play in front of an audience.

Post by Tom_Spencer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:24 am

In the past my failures in front of others were due more to my fear of failing or fear of rejection. I have learned that playing for others requires that I have confidence in myself, my playing is for me not them, I am just sharing with them and they can like it or not. As long as I am comfortable with what I am doing then everything is ok, however, this requires some brutal self evaluation. Record yourself and listen, is it just ok, good or really good? Make it really good for yourself. Then try playing at home for friends and family. Involve them and attempt to get some critical feedback. Play a tune a few different ways and ask them which they preferred and why. If you just play it once and only one version then the stock answer is that was fine. What you are seeking is harsh critical critique. When you know that you have your heart in the piece and that this is your interpretation then you are really ready to play for the world, but remember, always play for yourself first - if you are happy then those listening will also be happy. You must relax to let your feeling for the music come out.

saibharath

Post by saibharath » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:00 am

@lleiro
Thank you this was nice information i would like to see you many more post.
:merci: :merci:

saibharath

Post by saibharath » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:02 am

@nga_tom

Thank you very much for the information.

:merci:

saibharath

Post by saibharath » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:08 am

@dmbruenjes

thank you for the information..

jtres

Post by jtres » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:39 pm

I have the same problem. A thing that has helped me deal with this issue is to just imagine that in the end whether my playing is good or not in front of these people, I will still be playing and be content with my music inside my room. You can't care about what some people will think, because even if it's perfect there will be some that like it and some that will say it absolutely sucked. Either way, you'll be in the same situation with or without errors :D

jstroud

Post by jstroud » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:24 pm

practice slow with a metronome with and without the music. you need to know the piece better than you do. that way when you lose your place you are more likely to go to a place you know for sure since between slow and correct repetition with and without the music you are likely to recover better. lastly breath before you start to keep yourself calm.

franks59

Post by franks59 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:39 pm

jstroud wrote:practice slow with a metronome with and without the music. you need to know the piece better than you do. that way when you lose your place you are more likely to go to a place you know for sure since between slow and correct repetition with and without the music you are likely to recover better. lastly breath before you start to keep yourself calm.
From my own experience I can say I absolutely agree with this.

Fear is one thing - it can cause mistakes, but blanking out means you don't know the piece nearly as well as you think.
If you really know the material, you should be able to recover; maybe not gracefully, but still be able to proceed.

I had asked my instructor
  • "How do I know when I really know the piece?"
He replied:
  • "Play a C chord."
which I did without hesitation.
  • "That's how you know", he continued - "when you know the entire piece that well."
Some suggestions for really learning a piece:
  • Taking two measures at a time, play while reading the score. Play it a minimum of three times in a row without error. Repeat while looking at your hand. Finally repeat with your eyes closed. Go through the entire piece that way.
  • Visualize the piece in your mind away from the guitar. Actually see each finger placed on each string. Say the note names to yourself. Work up to performance speed. This part is really mentally exhausting!
  • On the guitar, play the piece out of position by moving up (or down) a few frets. Try to get up to speed. Be careful here. Since you can't hear the proper tones, if you make a fingering mistake you may not realize it and memorize an incorrect fingering.
  • Look at the score. Pick a random note on the score, look away and continue the piece from there.
  • Practice performing. By that I mean force yourself to play through your mistakes no matter what; no matter how long it takes you to recover; no matter where you pick up again. Do this a LOT!
  • When you think you're close to having it, practice outside your comfort zone. Record or make a video of the piece, repeatedly. Practice the piece first thing in the morning without warming up. Stress yourself in as many ways as you can think of.
And finally, it takes time to re-arrange and/or build your neurons, so you're not going to know it that well until your brain has had the chance to re-wire itself.

Frank

saibharath

Post by saibharath » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:31 am

Thank yo very much.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:40 am

franks59 wrote:Some suggestions for really learning a piece:

* Taking two measures at a time, play while reading the score. Play it a minimum of three times in a row without error. Repeat while looking at your hand. Finally repeat with your eyes closed. Go through the entire piece that way.
* Visualize the piece in your mind away from the guitar. Actually see each finger placed on each string. Say the note names to yourself. Work up to performance speed. This part is really mentally exhausting!
* On the guitar, play the piece out of position by moving up (or down) a few frets. Try to get up to speed. Be careful here. Since you can't hear the proper tones, if you make a fingering mistake you may not realize it and memorize an incorrect fingering.
* Look at the score. Pick a random note on the score, look away and continue the piece from there.
* Practice performing. By that I mean force yourself to play through your mistakes no matter what; no matter how long it takes you to recover; no matter where you pick up again. Do this a LOT!
* When you think you're close to having it, practice outside your comfort zone. Record or make a video of the piece, repeatedly. Practice the piece first thing in the morning without warming up. Stress yourself in as many ways as you can think of.
Frank, you've summed it up pretty well right there. For your first point I would say do it six to ten times without error. Or do it until you make an error, then try to figure out why that happened. And with eyes closed--yes. I like to practice in the dark now and then. And your idea of picking a random note and taking it from there-- that is perfectly spot on. If you can do this, or even better have someone else pick the spot
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

jstroud

Post by jstroud » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:53 pm

Frank, I love the story about the c chord! that saysit all. Shows we all need to know our music better.

Jstanley01

Post by Jstanley01 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:08 pm

I'm a beginner/intermediate, so take this FWIW. But I also get nervous when I record myself. So I'm using it as practice for "the real thing." Next time I have an audience, I'll report back on how it's working... :chaud:
Attitude is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than what people do or say. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. -W.C. Fields

Crumble

Post by Crumble » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:13 pm

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”