Which software for writing scores?

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Per Lindhof

Which software for writing scores?

Post by Per Lindhof » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:44 pm

Dear all

I'm about to write my compositions for classical guitar in nodes and tablature (the latter for the sake of those who don't read nodes).
I have guitar pro 6.0 but I find it too complicated and non intuitive to work with.

Which programs/software can you recommend for the job?

Kind regards
Per Lindhof

sesto

Re: Which software for writing scores?

Post by sesto » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:10 pm

Finale.

bergmann

Post by bergmann » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:19 pm

I was there some time ago - read about my experience and conclusions here: http://www.bergmannedition.com/?cat=27 (start at the bottom). I'll send you a private messages with some more informations.

dilettant

Post by dilettant » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:08 pm

bergmann wrote:... read about my experience and conclusions here: http://www.bergmannedition.com/?cat=27 (start at the bottom).
A very thorough analysis. Interesting. Thanks a lot for providing it.
Stefan.
DE (EN) [FR] ... and no, not interested in a GUI for tar, but in music.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:12 pm

bergmann wrote:I was there some time ago - read about my experience and conclusions here: http://www.bergmannedition.com/?cat=27 (start at the bottom).
Sibelius 7, just released, overcomes one of the 'cons' you mention in your comparison with Finale - Sibelius will now export Music XML. The open source (free) program MuseScore is shaping up very well at version 1.1, but apparently won't be able to notate tablature until version 2.

I used to use Finale, but swapped to Sibelius several years ago as I found it generally easier to use, and the more recent implementations of tablature (which I use for lute tablature) easier to work out than Finale. M. Delcamp uses Finale for the arrangements he publishes on the forum and evidently finds it satisfactory - his layouts certainly look very good.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Per Lindhof

Post by Per Lindhof » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:04 pm

bergmann wrote:I was there some time ago - read about my experience and conclusions here: http://www.bergmannedition.com/?cat=27 (start at the bottom). I'll send you a private messages with some more informations.
Hi Bergmann
Thanks a lot. Great job with a lot of useful inputs. I've often wondered why it can be so complicated (and expensive) to get and learn a program for writing scores for the classical guitar :casque: .

I think that the main "problem" is that we pay for a software of which we use only a few percent of its capacity.

I'm now downloading a demo of Sibelius 7 and I will check out Finale too.

Feel free to have a look at my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Lindhofguit ... lGcA3U8wS4

You can find a mix of my music, recording techniques and studio working.

Kind regards
Per

Nick Payne
Amateur luthier

Post by Nick Payne » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:57 pm

I've been using Lilypond for several years, with jEdit/Lilypondtool as the editor. I've never used the tablature features in the program though, so I have no idea how well or otherwise that side of it functions. You can see an example of a score engraved with Lilypond here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=51209

ricarva

Post by ricarva » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:05 pm

I've been using Finale for years and it lets me write whatever i want, even when I use less conventional notation. Some people like Finale, some like Sibelius. Just choose one and stick to it.

rui

Post by rui » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:03 pm

For writing scores i use Musescore, a free music composition and notation software, so i recommend this one :)

malc laney

Post by malc laney » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:34 pm

I agree with ricarva, having used mostly Sibelius some score writing in Cubase and Sonar, and even toyed with musescore.
I would say to Rui however that if he extends beyond CG in his usage[either composition ,or arranging] then iwould find musescore a bit laborious, but then it's FREE

Rocket88

Post by Rocket88 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:06 pm

pogmoor wrote:
bergmann wrote:I was there some time ago - read about my experience and conclusions here: http://www.bergmannedition.com/?cat=27 (start at the bottom).
Sibelius 7, just released, overcomes one of the 'cons' you mention in your comparison with Finale - Sibelius will now export Music XML. The open source (free) program MuseScore is shaping up very well at version 1.1, but apparently won't be able to notate tablature until version 2.

I used to use Finale, but swapped to Sibelius several years ago as I found it generally easier to use, and the more recent implementations of tablature (which I use for lute tablature) easier to work out than Finale. M. Delcamp uses Finale for the arrangements he publishes on the forum and evidently finds it satisfactory - his layouts certainly look very good.
I recommend Sibelius too, although it's getting more expensive.

manythumbed

Post by manythumbed » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Lilypond can do nice tablature but it may not be the easiest program to use especially if you just want to drag notes around on a graphical score. Once you have a working template for a guitar score it is quite easy to bang out scores and add or remove tablature as required.

AsturiasFan

Post by AsturiasFan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:49 am

Sibelius First is now only $99.00 at Guitar Center. This is a really big bang for the buck. You can download a free trial version for thirty days. You can also down load free trial versions of Finale and Guitar Pro. My opinion is that Sibelius is number 1. For CG I think Sibelius is the only one that does right and left hand fingerings in a decent fashion, and maybe the only one that does string numbers. Guitar Pro for example can display horrible overruns for fingerings or will for some reason not display them at all.

Edit: From what DanW7 says theres a catch about Sibelius First. He's right . The First version doesn't do right-left hand fingerings at all.
Last edited by AsturiasFan on Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

DanW7

Post by DanW7 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:08 am

AsturiasFan wrote:Sibelius First is now only $99.00 at Guitar Center. This is a really big bang for the buck. You can download a free trial version for thirty days. You can also down load free trial versions of Finale and Guitar Pro. My opinion is that Sibelius is number 1. For CG I think Sibelius is the only one that does right and left hand fingerings in a decent fashion, and maybe the only one that does string numbers. Guitar Pro for example can display horrible overruns for fingerings or will for some reason not display them at all.
Google "Sibelius First and Sibelius 7 comparison" and click on the first link...and you can see all the differences. Sibelius First is unfortunately missing so many of the Sibelius 7 features. I wish it wasn't, because damn...S7 sure is expensive :-/

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:58 am

Anyone lucky enough to have a connection with an academic institution can get academic pricing - still a lot, but a great deal less than the full price.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”