Post at least one message per month

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post at least one message per month

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:43 am

Hello everyone,
this morning I closed the accounts of those members who had an average postcount of less than one message per month.

I am doing the same on all the forums:
http://www.guitareclassiquedelcamp.com/
http://www.chitarraclassicadelcamp.com/
http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/
http://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/

Those who have had their accounts closed may re-register at any time.

A forum is made for talking.

Jean-François
:( + ♫ = :)

Guero

Re: Post at least one message per month

Post by Guero » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Jean-François Delcamp wrote:A forum is made for talking

Oh, I see. A(nother) twaddling-forum..... :wink:

igycrctl

Post by igycrctl » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:06 pm

Just curious, do they get a warning? I don't post often, but I read everyday and I would be really upset if my account was closed. I understand deleting inactive accounts, but I don't really understand why you would close the accounts of people who are reading, but not posting. After all, may be someday they will be brave and start to contribute. They can't do that if there account has been closed.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:29 pm

No, it isn't practical to issue a warning. The latest purge removed nearly 5000 of just over 7000 accounts. You'd be surprised how many people join up, post one or two messages, and then never post again. Even more register and then never post at all, but they are weeded out more frequently.

Bear in mind that contributing to the life of the forum by posting messages is the only "payment" that Jean-François asks in return for the otherwise free benefits of membership. The posting requirement is stated at the beginning of the rules here:
By registering on the forum you commit yourself to:
• respect other members
• participate in discussions
• post at least one message per month
etc. ...
and every forum notification email you receive, including when you join, has the following reminder at the bottom:
Members are required to post at least one message per month and respect the rules of the forum. If these conditions are not met, the account will be deleted. It is possible to re-register.
As it says, if you lose your account and then get up your courage to start posting, you can simply rejoin. Remember also that you can build up a "credit" to tide you over periods when you may not be able to post. So, for example, if you've just joined and you post 3 messages, your account is safe for the next 3 months.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:39 pm

Guero wrote:
Jean-François Delcamp wrote:A forum is made for talking

Oh, I see. A(nother) twaddling-forum..... :wink:
"Talking" was my translation, and you've perhaps misinterpreted my meaning. The original French was "dialoguer", with connotations of mutual interaction, discussion, debate, etc., not merely chatter. The forum is what you make it, so let's make it worth reading.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Jon Griffiths

Post by Jon Griffiths » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:54 pm

How do you see how many you have posted

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:00 pm

The number of posts is shown immediately below your username to the right of your messages. That's your total, incidentally, not the number of that particular post. You can also click on the User Control Panel link at the top left of the forum window for details.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:04 pm

Wow, that makes such a huge difference. I remember when the "Members" item at the bottom of the forum front page read in excess of 10,000; now it's down to just over 2,200

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:08 pm

GeoffB wrote:The latest purge removed nearly 5000 of just over 7000 accounts.
Wow!

(I'm good for one month now) ;)

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:30 pm

Hi riffmeister,

your post count is more than 2500 which will give you access for more than 200 years
if you would stop posting now... (if I've understood the terms of use correctly).
I hope you can make use of this long time :D

Bernhard

Evan

Post by Evan » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:36 pm

I think this is really unfortunate. It's the kind of thing that's going to anger good people and push them away from the community.

I love this forum and read much more often than I post, and this is the only forum that I have continuously returned to over time, but this rule is far too strict, especially without warning.

I can respect that this is a "his way or the highway" type place but it seems like Mr. Delcamp needs some help with the forum administration. Not being able to change or reset our passwords is not only a very risky situation to be in should you forget it, but it also puts registered users at risk if the forum is ever hacked, especially if users have reused their passwords elsewhere. This also suggests that there are other problems that need to be sorted out so that forum administration is possible. Both seem like non issues with any forum software that I've seen in recent years. Maybe better tools are needed.

I'm sure there are better metrics to determine if a user is active or not. Read counts perhaps. Or safe haven for members in good standing for so much time.

It would be a shame if real users started spamming the forum with dummy posts just to keep their numbers up.

I'm sure this will be ignored just as all past complaints that I have read here were. But Maybe if others will join in protesting...

john196775

Post by john196775 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:37 pm

what if someone is here to learn and they just do not have question for a month. Or whatever reason. This doesn't seem fair. If this is your policy i see no reason for you to not just delete my account now. I am sorry this is your policy. :(

Evan

Post by Evan » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:40 pm

I can't find post count in Tapatalk.

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:44 pm

Evan wrote:I can't find post count in Tapatalk.
It isn't given on the posts in Tapatalk, but if you click on the member's icon, it should take you to their profile, which will show the post count.

James

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk 2
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:47 pm

john196775 wrote:what if someone is here to learn and they just do not have question for a month. Or whatever reason. This doesn't seem fair. If this is your policy i see no reason for you to not just delete my account now. I am sorry this is your policy. :(
You don't have to have a question to make a post - you can simply welcome a new member to the forum, or better still listen to a member's recording and post some feedback for them.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”