Musical Notation Software - Sibelius, Finale, Musescore, which is best?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Musical Notation Software - Sibelius, Finale, Musescore, which is best?

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed May 20, 2015 9:32 am

cadiz wrote:
Stephen Kenyon wrote:The notation programme I use, Graphire Music Press, hasn't been developed for 15 years and one day I won't be able to source a computer that will run it. It still looks better than anything else on the market, hence still using it.
Try Musescore 2.0.1, and I take the bet that you should be really convinced by this incredible software open source :wink:
Thanks for the vote, however fortunately I'm not in a position to take you up on your bet because neither can I run 2.0.1 on any of my machines, nor would I take to it with enthusiasm on the basis of the work shown on the guitar section on the Musescore website.
Music Press still looks better than anything on the market - including Musescore, Sibelius, Finale et al. The fact that I paid £574 in 1996 doesn't affect my view at all! :wink:
And while I can source a G5 computer that works I'll still be using it. Meanwhile, roll on the Steinberg project.

Stephen
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Wed May 20, 2015 2:50 pm

ReggieGuitar wrote:Hi, I'm very interested in composing music and transferring it neatly into an electronic format.

Anyway, I was wondering in terms of musical notation software is there an optimum one for solo guitar music? Is there a software that is particularly more efficient/accessible. I realise if I want to share my work with any part of the community it has to look user friendly/good, so I need to find out what's the best software for this.

In my studies I have always used Sibelius, admittedly is does a relatively good job, the only awkwardness being the occasional voicing error which I can generally solve. I have unfortunately quite found it particularly fiddly with editings and getting everything exactly where I want it.

Thanks for reading, Reggie
I am a big fan of MuseScore. But for an overview/comparison of other programs have a look on Wikipedia under: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_scorewriters

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Wed May 20, 2015 6:31 pm

"I am a big fan of MuseScore." Me too... :D
An other comparison more recent: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... li=1#gid=0

Schneider

Post by Schneider » Wed May 20, 2015 8:28 pm

Hi Stephen,
Stephen Kenyon wrote:[...] The notation programme I use, Graphire Music Press, hasn't been developed for 15 years and one day I won't be able to source a computer that will run it. It still looks better than anything else on the market, hence still using it. [...]
I took a look tonight at Graphire site and, I agree, it looks terrific.
However, since LilyPond is easily customizable, it can give you whatever look you want.

Example, see: http://www.graphire.com/Media/Slip.pdf
Here's LilyPond output :
graphire-slip.jpg
Cheers,
Pierre
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Wed May 20, 2015 9:47 pm

magie wrote:@ cadiz

Thanks so much ... my "Instruments" window was set to such small size that I didn't notice that there is another right column that I had to scroll to ... Image

For some reason, however the tab notation does not reflect the standard notation ... it is written an octave higher ... :?
O.k. transposing the tab seems to solve it.

Will install 2.01 update ... maybe this problem is fixed there ...
Try changing to G clef with an 8 under the clef to indicate the true pitch of the guitar.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Tonyyyyy

Post by Tonyyyyy » Thu May 21, 2015 12:15 am

i dont really like computers and electrickery etc.... but in the real world we often need it and I can half control Sibelius (but not the latest format)Anything new would drive me crazy. Muse score looks as if it would be good and on their website I have found a lot of useful scores made by users which i can' borrow and import to Sib for my own use - saves a lot of inputting. Really worth a look at their site.

chelson

Post by chelson » Thu May 21, 2015 11:38 am

If price is also a factor to rate with the objective of writing musical notation, then Musescore being free would win the best over Sibelius and Finale, wouldn't it?

Unless the rating compares feature by feature, and price is regardless.
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Thu May 21, 2015 12:52 pm

Schneider wrote:Hi Stephen,
Stephen Kenyon wrote:[...] The notation programme I use, Graphire Music Press, hasn't been developed for 15 years and one day I won't be able to source a computer that will run it. It still looks better than anything else on the market, hence still using it. [...]
I took a look tonight at Graphire site and, I agree, it looks terrific.
However, since LilyPong is easily customizable, it can give you whatever look you want.

Example, see: http://www.graphire.com/Media/Slip.pdf
Here's LilyPond output :
graphire-slip.jpg
Cheers,
Pierre
Wow, that is beautiful!

I might have to learn Lilypond. (i usually use a MIDI keyboard / mouse for note entry. Learning to type in commands is going to take me a while...)

The earlier versions of Musescore allowed export to Lilypond; unfortunately, i do not believe that the current version does. I still like Musescore, since most of what i do is more "traditional" notation. When i have had to do anything like your example, i have been forced to save music as graphics, and import it into some other program for layout. This takes time, too.

The other problem I occasionally have with Musescore is the support forum. Some of the developers don't have experience with music beyond the "traditional" and will either give misinformation or start arguments. Unfortunately, when this happens, other more experienced developers will sometimes not notice the help message...i'm guessing because they think the question has already been "answered".

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Thu May 21, 2015 2:01 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:The other problem I occasionally have with Musescore is the support forum. Some of the developers don't have experience with music beyond the "traditional" and will either give misinformation or start arguments. Unfortunately, when this happens, other more experienced developers will sometimes not notice the help message...i'm guessing because they think the question has already been "answered".
Could you provide please a precise example (with a link of the thread) to support this commentary?
"Traditional"? Could you develop what you mean exactly? :merci:

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Thu May 21, 2015 5:37 pm

cadiz wrote:Could you provide please a precise example (with a link of the thread) to support this commentary?
"Traditional"? Could you develop what you mean exactly? :merci:
Hi Cadiz!

Do you work for Musescore? If so, thank you so much for such a wonderful program!

r.e. the rest...send me a P.M. and I'll get back to you.

EDIT: regarding "traditional": i suppose i mean having standard time signatures, tonal harmony (or near-tonal i.e. jazz), basically anything that could have been notated in 1890.

cheers!

Dirck

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Thu May 21, 2015 6:25 pm

I do not work for MuseScore. Let's say I support its development as one of the most diligent testers of the program since more a year. Why a P.M? MuseScore is an open source software, and therefore has nothing to hide! If you have a specific question about a particular aspect, feel free to post it publicly on a MuseScore forum (e.g. English forum)
And I am sure, really, you will receive a reply, quickly and in a reasoned manner.
Try and you will see. :wink:

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Thu May 21, 2015 7:39 pm

cadiz wrote:Why a P.M?
Hi again Cadiz!

I'm sorry but I am not going to begin a flame war by publically posting these links, especially since i use my real name here. I have had repeated problems with a certain "developer" at Musescore who I would rather continue to ignore, since formally compaining doesn't help.

I would be happy to share in a PM if you are really interested. Send me your name & i will reply.

Cheers!

Dirck

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Thu May 21, 2015 7:57 pm

I am interested of course.
P.M sent.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Thu May 21, 2015 8:11 pm

Reply sent!

Cheers!

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Thu May 21, 2015 10:22 pm

I am jumping in late here, but I purchased SmartScore many months ago after getting back to practicing after 35 years. My plan was to resurrect my repertoire, but I had forgotten it all and thought if I could turn it into notes and tabs it would be perfect as my note reading ability literally left me.

I bought the Guitar Edition and quickly found out that it would do little and had to upgrade, although the Company gave me a bit of a break, and purchased the SongBook Edition. Reading through the literature it now seems like I can do what I wanted to, but have to give it some practice.

I just wanted to let all know that the Guitar Edition is not enough for Guitar! I do hope to start using it shortly. I have, by muscle memory and a lot of work, some of my pieces, but there are many more in straight notes that I need help with. My reading is coming along but I still need some help on those hard pieces.

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

Return to “Public Space”