Non-CG repertoire that you'd like to play, but doesn't / hasn't transcribed well to CG

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
mc1

Re: Non-CG repertoire that you'd like to play, but doesn't / hasn't transcribed well to CG

Post by mc1 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:33 pm

i've always thought that bach's prelude in C from the wtc was a lot harder than it should be on the guitar. never really found a transcription i liked. i made my own once, but it too was too much work for the payback (which is this case is a short, beautiful, but easy sounding piece).

SeisRayos

Re: Non-CG repertoire that you'd like to play, but doesn't / hasn't transcribed well to CG

Post by SeisRayos » Tue May 26, 2015 9:54 pm

Suicide is Painless - (Theme From M.A.S.H.)

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Wed May 27, 2015 10:14 am

SeisRayos wrote:Suicide is Painless - (Theme From M.A.S.H.)
several quite serviceable guitar arrangements of this lovely mandel chestnut...
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:07 pm

Tricky Fish wrote:
Sat May 16, 2015 10:58 am
What non-CG classical repertoire would you like to be able to play, but haven't heard a good interpretation/transcription?
Dvorak's Serenade for Winds in D Minor - I don't know what part guitar could play
Mendelssohn's String Quartet No. 6 Op. 80 in F Minor - maybe the viola part transcribed for guitar

Kl3tz

Post by Kl3tz » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:05 pm

debussy's reverie, there are some versions out there, but none playable (for me) as solo. and I feel it doesn't develop the full musical depth.
Yamaha G245s
Ibanez AEG 10N II BK
Ibanez A300E-TCS
Okay Unknown
ESP JR-208 8-string
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Gothic
Yamaha RGX 121

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:08 am

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Sun May 17, 2015 1:51 pm
Ravel. I've seen some for guitar duets, but nothing interesting for solo guitar.
I often wonder why there is not more music for guitar in the style of Ravel and Debussy. Transcriptions may be tricky but the impressionistic style and approach would seem to be perfect for CG.

Nick Selby

Post by Nick Selby » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:56 am

There’s a great version of Copland’s El Salon Mexico for solo piano that I’ve often thought would be great for guitar duet (or maybe solo).

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:13 pm

PeteJ wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:08 am

I often wonder why there is not more music for guitar in the style of Ravel and Debussy. Transcriptions may be tricky but the impressionistic style and approach would seem to be perfect for CG.
Same here. I also wonder why there isnt more music for any instrument in that style...? Perhaps everything post-Debussy just sounds like an imitation of Debussy?

I hope their style isn't completely played out; I'd love to hear more like Hommage a Rameau or l'Apres midi d'un Faune!

cheers!
dirck

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:15 pm

Kl3tz wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:05 pm
debussy's reverie, there are some versions out there, but none playable (for me) as solo. and I feel it doesn't develop the full musical depth.
I like this transcription of Debussy's Reverie by Eros Roselli: This transcription is available for purchase.

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:20 pm

PeteJ wrote:
Andrew Fryer wrote:
Ravel. I've seen some for guitar duets, but nothing interesting for solo guitar.
Do you like these Ravel transcriptions?

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:39 am

musicbyandy wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:20 pm
PeteJ wrote:
Andrew Fryer wrote:
Both of these Ravel pieces for guitar ensemble are very well arranged and played especially the movement from Ravel's beautiful quartet. Unfortunately they also show the limitations of the guitar. Most obvious flaws - not being able to sustain notes and play passages with fluidity which are essential to Ravel's soundscape.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:05 am

musicbyandy wrote:

Thanks, yes. But my comment was about solo pieces. There' seem to be more transcriptions around for duets and trios.

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:44 pm

Cipher wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:39 am
musicbyandy wrote:
PeteJ wrote:

Both of these Ravel pieces for guitar ensemble are very well arranged and played especially the movement from Ravel's beautiful quartet. Unfortunately they also show the limitations of the guitar. Most obvious flaws - not being able to sustain notes and play passages with fluidity which are essential to Ravel's soundscape.
Do you think that this arrangement shows the limitations of the guitar?

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:54 pm

PeteJ wrote:
Andrew Fryer wrote:
My favorite Debussy arrangement for guitar is Andrea Förderreuther's arrangement of the Debussy's Sonata No. 2 for flute, viola and harp. I especially like the recording by TrioConBrio. Fortunately, I cannot find the TrioConBrio recording on Youtube.com.

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:18 am

musicbyandy wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:44 pm
Cipher wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:39 am
musicbyandy wrote:

Do you think that this arrangement shows the limitations of the guitar?
No not at all - in this particular arr. of Debussy's Reverie it relegates the guitar to accompaniment-only which isn't bad, it's just that it doesn't feature the guitar on an equal plane with the two wind instruments.

Now here's Debussy Reverie played by Julian Bream and John Williams and it's an example how two masters can make a piece as beautiful or even more beautiful than the original piano solo.

Now the texture of the Debussy Reverie is not as dense as the movement from the Ravel String Quartet that you posted earlier so there's much more time for the notes to breathe and they don't overpower the guitar or make technical demands that the guitar can't play convincingly and smoothly so this particular piece is quite successful as a guitar duo. Bream and Williams also play Debussy's Golliwog's Cakewalk and Clair de Lune which work well as guitar duos as well.

Return to “Public Space”