are gestures and facial expression essential in a performance?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
ethanjamesescano

are gestures and facial expression essential in a performance?

Post by ethanjamesescano » Sat May 30, 2015 2:24 am

?
A right note at the wrong time is always wrong, but a wrong note at the right time is half right"
- Beethoven

Malcolm

Re: are gestures and facial expression essential in a performance?

Post by Malcolm » Sat May 30, 2015 4:34 am

I would prefer to watch Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli, virtually expressionless except for the occasional twitch in the corner of his mouth, or the slight lifting of an eyebrow, but obviously deeply immersed in the music, rather than Lang Lang with the pretentious, affected body language and overdone facial expressions that, supposedly, indicates "soul". :shock:

Cheers,
Malcolm
When I was ten, I thought my parents knew everything. When I became twenty, I was convinced they knew nothing. Then, at thirty, I realized I was right when I was ten.

Mark Twain

tom2977

Post by tom2977 » Sat May 30, 2015 10:27 am

Not essential -optional! (And i'd rather hear good music than worry/judge on whether or not someone is introvert or extrovert in this matter!)

DavRom

Post by DavRom » Sat May 30, 2015 11:27 am

Essential!

Whenever you get to that pesky little stretch or that impossible run you know you can't pull off just let the pain and suffering of regret show in your face and the audience will never know

There are many other such difficulties which can be masked with romantic gestures

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Sat May 30, 2015 12:31 pm

Being just an amateur, I'll answer as such. Practicing and playing with a relaxed face, perhaps a slight smile, translates to more relaxed and fluid playing. I sometimes video myself, and I often look very grim and miserable. This reminds me to relax. I'm doing this for fun, so it should probably look like fun and not dentistry.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Sat May 30, 2015 1:33 pm

Malcolm wrote:....the pretentious, affected body language and overdone facial expressions that, supposedly, indicates "soul".
This reminds me of a famous jazz guitarist, I sat in on one of his master classes, and what he had to say to a young fellow who was full of gestures and facial expressions during his playing. It went something like this: "If you have to show me that you have soul...then you do not have it!..."
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Sat May 30, 2015 1:39 pm

Julian Bream used to evince a lot of facial gestures when he played. I think that many times these are quite involuntary. There are hand gestures as well to to consider; and I think of Marcin Dylla almost immediately.

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Sat May 30, 2015 1:44 pm

DavRom wrote:Whenever you get to that pesky little stretch or that impossible run you know you can't pull off just let the pain and suffering of regret show in your face and the audience will never know
I believe that magicians refer to this as "slight of hand", although "slight of face" doesn't have the same connotation. :D
Polifemo de Oro wrote:There are hand gestures as well to to consider; and I think of Marcin Dylla almost immediately.
Hmm. Yes. Somewhat off-putting those hand gestures they be. Says Yoda.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Sat May 30, 2015 2:43 pm

I don't find Marcin Dyllas hand motions all that off putting, pretentious perhaps. However, I do find annoying the way he telegraphs what he's about to do with his facial and body expressions. A couple rounds in the ring with Flody Mayweather of Manny Pacquiao would fix that in a big hurry. :shock:
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Sat May 30, 2015 2:50 pm

Well, the thing about Marcin Dylla is that you can't really argue with his playing. That is the bottom line all else be damned.

igycrctl

Post by igycrctl » Sat May 30, 2015 3:04 pm

I thought I had read, possibly in another thread here, that judges at competitions prefer an expressive player over a non-expressive one and that the best player didn't necessarily always win. If this is true, and you are competing, it seems like it would indeed be very important.

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Sat May 30, 2015 11:06 pm

It's a moot point. Is the music good ? That's all we should be concerned with. It's the same as if you'd rather watch a female than a male or male than a female play CG. Sure Ana and a few other gals are great looking. But, if they played badly I'd never let their beauty lure me away from the bad music. Would you ? So it's the same thing. What they look like, and move like is their own business. That's the way they choose to emote, genuinely or superficially. This goes for the opposite as well. A player that makes near zero gestures doesn't make me think they are some how better or more in control because they look stern. It's not my business. My business is to be or not to be entertained by the work they'r playing.
....Now, were was that Salma Heyak video I was watching !!....

6strings

Post by 6strings » Sun May 31, 2015 12:01 am

Some people look like they are tortured while they are playing, yet other people look tottally uninterested in the music they play. There are also people with that murder-line serious expression on their face who don't lift the ehebrow untill their "this is serious art " session is finnished, and there are people who pretend they can speak to instrument. I find them all equally a annoying. Yet there are people who do all this stuff but feel as natural to watch as if they were rather speaking than playing. Those I enjoy to watch. I can put my finger on what differs pretension from natural expression, but I find pretension rather annoying and even embarassing at times while I enjoy when expression is natural.

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Sun May 31, 2015 12:04 am

Scot Tremblay wrote:
Malcolm wrote:....the pretentious, affected body language and overdone facial expressions that, supposedly, indicates "soul".
This reminds me of a famous jazz guitarist, I sat in on one of his master classes, and what he had to say to a young fellow who was full of gestures and facial expressions during his playing. It went something like this: "If you have to show me that you have soul...then you do not have it!..."
Scott, I am totally on this page. I can't imagine why someone would think about what their facial expressions should be while playing. Just play with passion and musicality and let your face do what it will. I always think when I read these kinds of threads that if you can think about what your facial expressions are instead of what you need to do to play the music well, you need to tackle more challenging material. :wink:
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Sun May 31, 2015 12:32 am

Scot Tremblay wrote:I don't find Marcin Dyllas hand motions all that off putting, pretentious perhaps.
I was being diplomatic. For a change. ;-)
Scot Tremblay wrote:However, I do find annoying the way he telegraphs what he's about to do with his facial and body expressions.
Indeed. Do you think this is taught in some post-graduation finishing school for performers? John Williams must have missed that class. Luckily.
Scot Tremblay wrote:"If you have to show me that you have soul...then you do not have it!..."
Great quote.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Return to “Public Space”