College

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Classical guitar girl

College

Post by Classical guitar girl » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:15 am

I might go for a music major in college and if I do, I would be going for classical guitar performance, does anybody have any advice or words of encouragement they could give me? I'm hesitating so much about auditioning :lol: :roll:

razz

Re: College

Post by razz » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:54 am

You should audition.
What your other majors have you considered?
Are you planning to audition at a university(or college) or a conservatory?

Les Montanjees

Post by Les Montanjees » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:27 am

Whenever I've had major decisions like yours to make in my life I've often found that going out into nature and sitting on a log until the answer came has been most helpful. (Sometimes it took a few hours and I wound up with a sore arse, but it was worth it!). As much as I can, I get my mind out of the way and let my heart speak to me. The mind will give you all kinds of reasons to do or not do, whereas the heart knows intuitively and doesn't have to work through clouds of logic.

Follow your bliss.

Carlos

Post by Carlos » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:24 am

I would just love to have majored in guitar performance! Lucky you if this road is accessible to you!
(I personally went into Economics and now with my full-time job and my family I kinda struggle to find practicing time for the guitar...and of course when i do i cannot progress as fast as those who practice all day long).

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:51 am

unless you come from a family of mean$, think deeply about what you want from life, and what you are willing to do without.
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

Anthony Campanella

Post by Anthony Campanella » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:00 pm

Most of the IT professionals I know were music majors, but that was from another era, another century.
Don't forget that performance study will usually result in a teaching career

razz

Post by razz » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:12 pm

To claify:

You may want to give a great deal of consideration to studying music as a major and pursuing a career in music.

The audition presents an important opportunity. You can convey complex information, to a group of experts, while being at the center of attention. If you can manage the demands on your time and financial resources, audition. You will use the skills, that you nurture, in the process, in whatever career that you choose. These skills are underdeveloped in today's workplace.

After the audition, use the feedback (from the college and your own experience), to help you decide on your career choice.

The whole thing sounds exciting to me. Savor the experience!

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:24 pm

Just play for yourself and always play for yourself! Forget about auditioning. Play for your own pleasure, play what you love listen your guitar, enjoy it! Enjoy sound.
Good luck! :)
I'd better speak by music...Please listen my guitar at Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, etc.

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:02 pm

I guess a lot of us have faced that one ... I did, and I think the important thing is, I have never regretted my decision.
Whichever way you jump, it can take time to find this out, however.
One thing is for sure, barring terrible misfortune, nothing can take your guitar playing from you.
When left nearly entirely to its own devices, the central spirit of the Internet hive mind, its great howling id, tends toward darkness.

MethodMadness

Post by MethodMadness » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:36 pm

I would suggest going through with the audition. You will learn so much from this experience. The audition process is just as much for you as it is for the school you are auditioning for. You can decide what you want to do later once you have more information.

Don't let fear stop you.

drew p

Post by drew p » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:13 pm

I loved getting a performance degree, wonderful experience. Best of luck to you!

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:43 pm

Audition! I am very proud of my performance degree. I could not make a living from it, but there are so many careers where music and performance skills are relevant. I work as a professional communicator and business analyst. :)
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:03 pm

Carlos wrote:I would just love to have majored in guitar performance! Lucky you if this road is accessible to you!
(I personally went into Economics and now with my full-time job and my family I kinda struggle to find practicing time for the guitar...and of course when i do i cannot progress as fast as those who practice all day long).
But... couldn't you go into Guitar Performance (college) and then kinda struggle to support your family? :)
I'd better speak by music...Please listen my guitar at Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, etc.

bear

Post by bear » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:27 pm

Classical guitar girl wrote:I might go for a music major in college and if I do, I would be going for classical guitar performance, does anybody have any advice or words of encouragement they could give me? I'm hesitating so much about auditioning :lol: :roll:
I'm sorry to be a wet blanket but the purpose of a college education should be to get a degree in something that will put food on the table and a roof over your head. How about a double major or a minor in music?

I sympathize with majoring in something that you love. I spent 13 years in college, the first 10 taking every subject that I liked and the last 3, getting a degree in something that would pay the bills.
I still haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:45 pm

bear wrote:
Classical guitar girl wrote:I might go for a music major in college and if I do, I would be going for classical guitar performance, does anybody have any advice or words of encouragement they could give me? I'm hesitating so much about auditioning :lol: :roll:
I'm sorry to be a wet blanket but the purpose of a college education should be to get a degree in something that will put food on the table and a roof over your head. How about a double major or a minor in music?

I sympathize with majoring in something that you love. I spent 13 years in college, the first 10 taking every subject that I liked and the last 3, getting a degree in something that would pay the bills.
I still haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up.
Spend more time to study and then ... when you'll grow up .. you will be (will be)(will be)(will be)(will be)
adult pensioner :mrgreen:

Return to “Public Space”