College

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
pima1234

Re: College

Post by pima1234 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:48 am

Huge congratulations!!! This is very exciting. You are obviously well-prepared in advance, which is important.

Consider strongly a dual music degree (if you plan to have a career in music), or at least a minor in another area.

You should have some kind of back up plan. To make it as a classical guitarist is very difficult. I've been working at it for over 20 years now.

I would agree that college is for more than a career, but there are practical considerations. Your scholarship will help significantly with that end of things.

Down the road, you may find it possible to find a good instructor, and work through a graded exam method that offers certificates. I'm thinking specifically of the Royal Conservatory of Music, as an example. It is possible to do it that way.
What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

John Feagin

Post by John Feagin » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:44 am

Congrats. I don't have a BA but through luck and being at the right place at the right time I make a good living in IT. That being said, the value of a degree IMO in the business/government world is basically a "ticket to the dance". Most of the people that I know have a BA degree and some even higher than that and their day to day jobs have nothing to do with what their degrees are. I once knew a DS agent (diplomatic security) who used to be an airline pilot. I also know a diplomat who has a degree in education and was a school teacher. My point is get your education for the education's sake and you'll find that many of the things you'll learn will spill over to other aspects of life. Just don't "stove-pipe" yourself to music or anything for that matter.

John Feagin

Post by John Feagin » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:49 am

Yisrael van Handel wrote:$250,000 to get a BA? How can any ordinary person afford such a thing? Such prices must totally affect the entire fabric of society! Why would anyone pay so much for a BA? How can you saddle an 22-year-old with such debt? It is cruel. There are some good schools in America, but there are also world-class schools in other countries at 1/100 of the price.
I am afraid that we are financially eating our young in the US. Sad to say. That being said, state schools are less than $250 kilodollars a year.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:56 pm

Congratulations! The creative thinking process that is part of the study of music will provide an excellent foundation for whatever you choose to do after graduation. The discipline required also teaches a very good work ethic. All the best to you!
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:23 pm

First of all - congratulations for the OP !
John Feagin wrote:... Most of the people that I know have a BA degree and some even higher than that and their day to day jobs have nothing to do with what their degrees are...
My son has a degree in physics and of his many Millennial friends, he is the only one with a job related to his degree. In fact, one of his fellow graduates works as a truck driver despite having ample academic qualifications. This is just the reality of jobs in the US today...

So for the OP :: I know two people with Master's in Classical Guitar Performance. One refused to follow the academic pathway, i.e., teach at a college, due to the politics, and now struggles to make a living. He states he is the only one of his fellow graduates that is still doing music as a profession. The other has grown a career in academia and teaches both college classes and privately, performs, does collaborative projects with other professors, and is doing fine financially, i.e., has a good job with benefits.

So please enjoy the process of gaining your degree! But keep the reality of a career in music in mind. You will need more skills than just music.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

razz

Post by razz » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:09 pm

Classical guitar girl wrote:Hi, everyone! I'm really sorry for not replying earlier. I would just like to update you guys and let you know that I did decide to audition for classical guitar performance. Because I didn't make my decision too early in the fall, I was only able to pick 3 schools that had classical guitar programs. Those schools were Rhode Island College, Hartt School, and New England Conservatory. I am very happy to say that I ended up getting accepted to all 3! I got scholarships from all of them but I decided to go with Hartt school because they gave me the biggest scholarship, which is $25,000 off a year! My goal is to reaudition at NEC if I decide to go for a Masters Degree. I would have loved to go there but it really is ridiculously expensive. I also really got along with Mr. Ladd (Guitar Instructor at Hartt) and therefore I am more than happy and excited to have him as a teacher. Thank you guys for the encouragement, it really helped! I will keep my options open in college, and I hope to find something else to add as a double major with this :)

That's great. Congratulations! I'm sure that you will make the best of the experience.

R.V.S.

Post by R.V.S. » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:21 am

Cheers! The east coast is a great place to be for a musician that teaches, especially if you eventually choose to settle down in NYC or Boston (there are something like 80+ colleges and universities in the Boston area, after all).

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:26 pm

:-D

Maybe we will meet sometime as Chris Ladd is my teacher as well. I'm one of his private students and go to his house for lessons.
He is a kind and generous person and although we work very hard, I always enjoy my lessons. He has a fine sense of humor.
Congratulations on your admission. Now the work begins! ;-)
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:40 pm

Classical guitar girl wrote:Hi, everyone! I'm really sorry for not replying earlier. I would just like to update you guys and let you know that I did decide to audition for classical guitar performance. Because I didn't make my decision too early in the fall, I was only able to pick 3 schools that had classical guitar programs. Those schools were Rhode Island College, Hartt School, and New England Conservatory. I am very happy to say that I ended up getting accepted to all 3! I got scholarships from all of them but I decided to go with Hartt school because they gave me the biggest scholarship, which is $25,000 off a year! My goal is to reaudition at NEC if I decide to go for a Masters Degree. I would have loved to go there but it really is ridiculously expensive. I also really got along with Mr. Ladd (Guitar Instructor at Hartt) and therefore I am more than happy and excited to have him as a teacher. Thank you guys for the encouragement, it really helped! I will keep my options open in college, and I hope to find something else to add as a double major with this :)
Congrats! I've seen and heard Mr. Ladd and his students for a few years now every time I play at the Boston Classical Guitar Society, and they've all been wonderful people and great musicians. I'm starting my Masters at NEC in September. Hope to see you around!
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

mts132

Post by mts132 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:46 pm

I was training to go to college for CG performance in my youth. My teacher and I were planning for everything, then towards the end of my senior year in HS I realized that I didn't want something so sacred to become a job. My teacher hated me for about 30 minutes but then realized it was how I honestly felt. I didn't want my passion for CG to be ruined by making it a job......or worse, create feelings of resentment via unemployment. So, I went to school and became a biologist instead. This is another passion I have, but less so than CG. I am happy with this arrangement because at the end of the day when I'm covered in dirt, pond water, snake musk, poison ivy, tick bites, etc. and I'm just sick of it all, I know there's something to look forward to when I get home. I also think I'll be able to flip this when I retire, playing CG in a more professional setting in my later years but still count bugs and bunnies on the side.

To the OP: I wish you good luck and success!!! I definitely wonder what would have happened if took the other path.
1974 K. Yari-Alverez Concert Master
1989 POS Morris Student Model

ScottPhillips

Post by ScottPhillips » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:18 am

When I went to college the first time, I needed to pay the bills, so I went into nursing, and also became a respiratory care practitioner. Now that I'm disabled, I am thinking about going back and getting a degree in music. Particularly guitar performance. But, I have a steady income between social security and my pension. If I had to make money to support a family with kids I would probably be back working in a hospital. There just isn't enough teaching jobs in my area. And the schools around here are starting to cut music as being non essential. If they have music it is limited to band. Not much guitar lessons going on. maybe do a double major and get a good paying job and teach privately on the side. Just a little food for thought.

razz

Post by razz » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:23 pm

When finals are over, please give us a semester review.
Thanks and Happy Holidays.

2handband

Post by 2handband » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:25 pm

Good luck... I have a bachelors in composition. Never took guitar lessons in college (actually the school I was at had only one guitar teacher and he was mostly a jazz guy, not classical); I fulfilled my performance requirement with voice lessons. That might sound odd, but I figured I was already one hell of a guitar player so I should study what I was bad at! A couple of things to be aware of:

First year theory will probably teach you nothing you don't already know, and second year is only marginally better. Prepare to be bored stiff, although watching your classmates who are mostly aspiring to be high school band directors and don't actually know (or want to know) a thing about the mechanics of music squirm in those classes can be fun.

Ear training (aural skills; whatever they call it) is a joke if your relative pitch is reasonably good. But once again you will probably be appalled watching your classmates and wondering why are they studying to be professional musicians (or music educators) if they can't hear anything?

The only people who attend music department events are music department people, and even then it's only faculty unless the students HAVE to go for the grade. Sucks, but that's how it is.

Go Greek. Just do it.

If you actually plan on USING your degree for anything you should be in for the long haul... it's gonna take a graduate degree unless you wanna teach high school. I've never used mine for anything; right around the time I got my bachelors I got a really good touring opportunity and it was a choice of go down a road that will most likely lead to teaching college (which I already knew I did NOT want to do) or go back to playing rock on the road. I chose the road.

Once again good luck.

cedartop

Post by cedartop » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:53 pm

If music is what you love, you will always regret not giving it your best effort and wonder if you could have done it. If it isn't going to work for you, it won't take that long to figure that out. You can weigh the pros and cons for as long as you want, but until you start moving, your path will not become any clearer. A career in music will certainly involve you teaching. Best of luck!
2011 Traphagen Cedar Doubletop
2017 Traphagen Spruce Doubletop

2handband

Post by 2handband » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:24 pm

cedartop wrote:A career in music will certainly involve you teaching.
Not necessarily. I've been teaching for almost twenty years, but there were long gaps of several years at a time when I was touring heavily. Even when I have taught it's mostly been because I wanted to not because I needed the money. At this point I'm trying to increase my student load heavily just because I would like to leave the road behind altogether.

I like private teaching, but I don't think I could handle being a college teacher. I was considering it at one point while I was still in school, but getting a good look at the politics and BS involved changed my mind. Especially now... I have a couple old friends who ARE professors now and the atmosphere on the modern day American college campus is just getting too freaky. I'd strangle somebody.

Return to “Public Space”