Rest etiquette?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
CarbonElitist

Rest etiquette?

Post by CarbonElitist » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:34 pm

This is a piece I'm working on. It has two separate melodies/voices going on, but there are long stretches when the first voice isn't doing much of anything. I'm wondering what the etiquette is toward hiding and showing rests?
EDIT: To clarify, this is a piece I am in the process of writing.
Forgotten mines wip.jpg
And then there are sections in which the second and first voices alternate so much, my program peppers the score with rests and makes it look like a mess. (Or perhaps that's because I'm an amateur at writing music.)
Forgotten mines WIP 2.jpg
Thoughts/feedback?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by CarbonElitist on Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving."
"When I want expert advise, I look at the comment sections on DIY videos."

celestemcc

Re: Rest etiquette?

Post by celestemcc » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:46 pm

Please provide music? I do read TAB, as do many of us, but music would be a lot easier to recognize quickly. If it's a matter of copyright for music, at least tell us the name of the piece -- thanks!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

CarbonElitist

Post by CarbonElitist » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:32 pm

celestemcc wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:46 pm
Please provide music? I do read TAB, as do many of us, but music would be a lot easier to recognize quickly. If it's a matter of copyright for music, at least tell us the name of the piece -- thanks!
Since most of my guitar-playing friends can only read tabs, that's what I tend to write in unfortunately. However I tried copying the tabs into the score in Musescore. It's a bit of a mess, but it translated fairly well. Since I own the copyright, I'm not too worried about it. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:12 pm

Well, it's technically correct, but I see your point. Interesting that what doesn't look like a big problem in notation looks like scary in tablature! Not sure what to say. You composed it though, so it's your preference. Perhaps if you just manually add and delete rests as you choose? The transcription program is doing what's "correct" but is that your intent to begin with?

Just as an example: Measure 62the second Bb: there's a perfectly correct 8th rest after it. But is that your intent? Or would you prefer that Bb be a dotted quarter?

I'm sure lots of others will have more insight than I do here. But this is also why I'm a big fan of notation; tab does tell you what to do, but notation tells you everything more clearly, IMO (assuming the editing is good, of course!).
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:53 pm

CarbonElitist wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:34 pm
First of all, I think you might be overcomplicating things with the tab notation. I don't think its likely that a guitarist who reads only tab would notice rhythmic subtleties such as the 8th rests in the lower voice, if you did intend for that line to have such a "detached" character. I'd consider simplifying the rhythmic values...?

But, if you want to actually notate the piece, there are some general notation conventions to be aware of. One very important one is to show the middle of the measure (and also the middle of the beat unit, usually)

For example:

[*]m.48: rhythmic group for upper voice should be:
Untitled.jpg
Usually, you should try to show the middle of the beat unit, too.

[*]m.57 would therefore look like this, instead of the quarter rest between beats 1 and 2:
2.jpg
If you go through your piece, you will see several other places where these issues occur.

There are also inconsistencies in your 5/4 measures. Are these measures divided 3+2 or 2+3?

If they are 2+3, m.53 could look like this:
2+3.jpg
If they are 3+2, m.53 could be:
3+2.jpg

Interestingly enough, the rests aren't consistent bewteen the tab and notation versions! (see m.54 and 57) I wonder why MuseScore did this when you converted the file?

I hope this helps!

cheers
dirck

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:02 pm

CarbonElitist wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:34 pm
This is a piece I'm working on. It has two separate melodies/voices going on, but there are long stretches when the first voice isn't doing much of anything. I'm wondering what the etiquette is toward hiding and showing rests?
Sorry, I just re-read this post.

Regarding the long stretches of full-measure rests: different publishers have different "style sheets". Some might notate the whole-rests on the first 4 measures, others might not.

(in any case, the whole rest should be on the top line of the staff if there is a lower voice present, not above the staff)

CarbonElitist

Post by CarbonElitist » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:07 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:53 pm
Interestingly enough, the rests aren't consistent bewteen the tab and notation versions! (see m.54 and 57) I wonder why MuseScore did this when you converted the file?
Nah, that was human error. Between the time I posted this topic and the time Celest asked for a score, I went and changed some of the rests.
I hope this helps!

cheers
dirck
I'm afraid I didn't take any classes on how to write and arrange music, so naturally anything I transcribe is a mess. :lol: Thanks a lot for your feedback, I'll have to pore over it a bit. Could you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "showing the middle of the measure"?

2lost2find

Post by 2lost2find » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:24 pm

CarbonElitist wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:07 pm
Could you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "showing the middle of the measure"?
If you look at measure 48 you have a single quarter note that goes across beats 2 and 3. That's a no no; it should be two tied 8th notes so the middle of the measure is clearly visible.

Re the original question: It's a preference thing, really. I would probably skip the rests for the long stretches where there is nothing in a voice just to make the notation cleaner.

CarbonElitist

Post by CarbonElitist » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:40 pm

2lost2find wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:24 pm
If you look at measure 48 you have a single quarter note that goes across beats 2 and 3. That's a no no; it should be two tied 8th notes so the middle of the measure is clearly visible.
Much appreciated! I wasn't aware of this convention. I'll do what I can and show what I have later. Thanks for the help!

Return to “Composers' Workshop”