Free Guitar Notation software

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
keikei978

Free Guitar Notation software

Post by keikei978 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:58 pm

Hey guys, does anyone use any sort of pc software to create guitar transcriptions? I have this one piece on paper, but the printout is REALLY horrible and you need to really look close to read what the notes are. I dont make songs or anything, just writing out transcriptions.

mrcold

Post by mrcold » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:54 pm

there are a few options out there. If you are in to TAB, then the PowerTab editor is a pretty good free program. It isn't the best for standard notation though. I have used Tabledit before and it doesn't seem too shabby but i can't remember if it is free or not (i know there is at least a trial period). If the work you are doing is simple, then Finale Notepad might be the way to go. It isn't geared for guitar especially, but it should be able to do most of what you need it too.

Good Luck,
Cody

bukena

Post by bukena » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:40 pm

There is also Guitar Pro, which allows you to print musical notacion (MN) and tab, or just Mn or just tab.

Sibelius is a good program also.

mrcold

Post by mrcold » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:12 pm

is there a free version of guitar pro out there??

bukena

Post by bukena » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:55 pm

Uhh... nope... sorry.

Fingerboard

Post by Fingerboard » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:30 pm

Powertab is free, very easy to use, too. I also like Guitar Pro and TablEdit.

While we're at it... My dear Bukena, I have been experimenting on a piece for multiple guitar parts. Is it possible to print multiple staves using Guitar Pro version 5? Multiple-staff printing doesn't seem to be in the options, unlike Powertab.

WilliamSchart

Post by WilliamSchart » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:34 am

Finale has a freeware notation programNotepad. Available for both Mac and Windows. Does tab too.[/url]

bukena

Post by bukena » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:56 am

Fingerboard wrote:Is it possible to print multiple staves using Guitar Pro version 5?
Go to View -> Select: Multitrack View and then print

Jeff Wright

Re: Free Guitar Notation software

Post by Jeff Wright » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:41 am

keikei978 wrote:Hey guys, does anyone use any sort of pc software to create guitar transcriptions? I have this one piece on paper, but the printout is REALLY horrible and you need to really look close to read what the notes are. I dont make songs or anything, just writing out transcriptions.
LilyPond is open source and is free. It runs on Windows, Mac or Linux. It is pretty easy to learn, using a straightforward plain-text notation to describe the individual measures in a piece, and outputs PDFs. And the LilyPond "font" is nice to look at.

http://lilypond.org/web/

Regards

Jeff

Laurentseries

Post by Laurentseries » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:08 am

I second that: Lilypond is a really good piece of software.

It is being updated so fast that sometimes one struggles to keep up with the new versions. And the lilypond forum is full of helpful ideas.

Timoteo

notation

Post by Timoteo » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:47 am

i think guitar pro is the best program and not so expensive to get

bukena

Post by bukena » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:41 am

best program for what?

arby

Post by arby » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:47 pm

Powertab is free and good, but doesn't offer a lot of options when printing.
I use Tabledit, not free, but cheap. Upgrades are free.
Both are designed for guitar and easy to use, but Tabledit has more options and better printouts.
Does Lilypond offer any guitar specific features like printing fingering or tab?

Jeff Wright

Post by Jeff Wright » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:28 pm

arby wrote: Does Lilypond offer any guitar specific features like printing fingering or tab?
Yes.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documenta ... tml#Guitar

Jeff

bukena

Post by bukena » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:51 pm

Don't get me wrong, I like guitar pro... it's a nice program. However, I find it a lot easier to manipulate the information with powertabs. In Guitar pro right from the beginning you have End Bar... if you write your piece/song and then decide to add something... it's a pain in the neck... something that in powertab is quite easy to do. Another problem I have encounter with GP is that you can't use Musical Directions (DC or DS as coda, fine, etc) between repeat bars, because it'll triger the DC or DS at the place where you put it, cutting off whatever was after the MS. There is no way to tell the program do execute the DC or DS after the repetition. Also, it doesn't have ritardando/accelerando and no double dot (to add 3/4 of the note's value).

A cool thing about GP is that it allows you to print just the musical notation or just the tab or both. That would be cool on PT.

To print sheet music I use mainly Sibelius. Lilypond is nice, but after looking at how is the information entered, I didn't bother to read all that and opted for Sibelius. I must say that you can make some pretty spiffy scores with Lilypond tough.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”