Lilypond tablature for Drop-D tuning?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
smileyguitar

Lilypond tablature for Drop-D tuning?

Post by smileyguitar » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:10 am

It appears that the newer version of Lilypond is making tablature quite easy. However, after perusing the manual, I can't seem to figure out how to get it to correctly handle Drop-D tuning.

Since this is encountered most often in classical guitar, I was hoping that someone here has come across this problem before, and found a solution?

But really, while I think Lilypond is great, I believe something like Noteedit (or Canorus once it's finished) will be most useful when writing or arranging music. I'm all for using LaTeX to handle text/math processing, but music ... I don't know ... I need to "see" the notes in real-time. And Lilypond does not seem to fit the bill there ... It's great for retyping an *existing* nicely formatted score though.

smileyguitar

Post by smileyguitar » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:24 am

Oops, it seems I did not read the manual carefully enough ... The answer is actually there. So in case others need to find the same info, for future reference, one basically needs to invoke "\set TabStaff.stringTunings" with the appropriate pitch mods.

At this point, I guess using Noteedit alone is not sufficient, since it does not support all Lilypond more advanced features, including tablature. But I find myself more productive by first entering the notes in Noteedit; and then tweak the exported Lilypond output to include fingering and string info.

Also, does anyone know of a conversion tool for lilypond->xml? I guess because Noteedit can export Lilypond, but can only import xml. That means once exported to lilypond, Noteedit is useless for further editing. I know that "xml2ly" is available, but can't find an appropriate inverse counterpart.

Anyway, please share your experience and tips/tricks for using Noteedit/Lilypond for classical guitar. I'd really like to see how the process could be less painful and tedious :-) Of course, the nice final output produced by Lilypond should be worth the effort ...

Return to “Composers' Workshop”