Notation Software for guitar

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
pogmoor

Re: Notation Software for guitar

Post by pogmoor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:31 pm

Moderato wrote:I'm especially interested in this feature because so many of my transcriptions have sections which are repeated but the repeated sections don't have any fingering/position notations. Presumably because you should have remembered them from before but nevertheless, I'd find it easier to sight read and not as easy to make mistakes when playing if the fingerings are kept intact for me as a guide, even in the repeated sections.
As I said before you do need to try a demo version of the programs you're interested in to make sure they do exactly what you want :)
Moderato wrote:Is there one program that will alow me to: Scan in music for editing, Import in PDFs and other files types for editing, copy & paste whole sections keeping fingering intact and just have all the most used features a good guitar transcription would have?
I'm not sure there's one program that will do all these things as scanning and editing are usually handled by different programs. SmartScore is the closest to a combined scanner/editor, but its editing capabilities are quite limited and I don't think (though I am not sure of this) it will manage the copy/paste task you mention. For scanning, both SmartScore and PhotoScore are pretty good (and IMHO the best two of the bunch), both enable you to scan printed music or PDFs and PhotoScore enables you to scan hand-written music (providing it is neat enough). Unfortunately, though, both scanner programs are relatively poor at recognising the text elements of scores and they hardly recognise guitar fingering at all! I think their "native" graphics format is TIFF and if you 'import' a music PDF into these programs you are effectively scanning it rather than importing it directly, so you do have to go through it and correct errors (as you do with music scanned from a paper copy). The number of errors depends on the clarity of the original both in terms of printing and layout, but generally there aren't too many errors. An alternative is PDFtoMusic Pro which allows you to convert a PDF file, providing it is the direct output of a notation software program, to Music XML (or MIDI) which can then be imported into notation software.

A lite version of PhotoScore is bundled with Sibelius and a lite version of the SmartScore functionality is built into Finale, so if you buy either of these programs you may get a sufficiently powerful combination for most of your needs. I personally use Sibelius 5 and PhotoScore Ultimate for all my scanning/arranging. The main thing I would like Sibelius to be able to do better is import MIDI - most MIDI files need quite a lot of "cleaning up" before they can be used. Finale is better than Sibelius at producing "clean" layout from MIDI, but far from perfect and I am yet to find an inexpensive program that will do this well (though the newest version of the high end music production software ProTools does this like a dream!)

Hope this helps :)
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Moderato

Post by Moderato » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:16 am

^^Thanks for the insight pogmoor, it's certainly a lot to think about!!!^^ 8)

mdharp

Post by mdharp » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:55 am

I've tried a few music publishers, but I still can't go past Cubase.
The quality of the score layout, & the ease & speed you can work with it are excellent (once familiar with it).
If I remember correctly, Cubase LE had a fully functioning version, with the bundled Tascam soundcard !!

drspeight

Post by drspeight » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:26 pm

You might also want to try out Anvil Studio, another free one, although I think you have to pay $26 or something if you want it to print hard copy. This lets you input notes either from a piano keyboard diagram or from a guitar fretboard. It's here: www.anvilstudio.com
D

JeffR

Post by JeffR » Wed May 06, 2009 9:42 pm

I like Sibelius G7. Once you get the hang of it, it is fast. The last thing you touch can be pasted by clicking the wheel of the mouse (PC). It's almost as fast as writing it on paper.
JR

purpleheart

Post by purpleheart » Sun May 31, 2009 12:12 pm

Hi guys
Just wanted to let anyone know who is interested in Finale songwriter.
Got it for a great price under $40.00 just for basic guitar writing and basic song sheets because I write and record my own music. I was only allowed to put it on 1 pc which was a problem for me cause i wanted to work with it in my studio and my living room. I had to call to and get a new code, put in on one pc after removing it from another. just wondering if any other programs were like that.
I bought a lot of software for my studio and allowed at least 3 codes.
Wondering if i should have bought something else
Ronnie

flameproof

Post by flameproof » Sun May 31, 2009 1:10 pm

THANK YOU

Olarte

Post by Olarte » Sun May 31, 2009 3:47 pm

purpleheart wrote:Hi guys
Just wanted to let anyone know who is interested in Finale songwriter.
Got it for a great price under $40.00 just for basic guitar writing and basic song sheets because I write and record my own music. I was only allowed to put it on 1 pc which was a problem for me cause i wanted to work with it in my studio and my living room. I had to call to and get a new code, put in on one pc after removing it from another. just wondering if any other programs were like that.
I bought a lot of software for my studio and allowed at least 3 codes.
Wondering if i should have bought something else
Ronnie
You might want to look at Musedit It's around $59, and no codes involved, the author is very approachable, and he can answer the licensing question.

It's a very versatile program and once you get used to it, you can make quick work of writing music down.

flameproof

Post by flameproof » Sun May 31, 2009 5:07 pm

Alternatively, you could try MuseScore, which is open-source freeware.

If you care to see what the output looks like, all the PDFs I have uploaded here have been created with it.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”