Sheet Music Software

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
JoeO

Sheet Music Software

Post by JoeO » Mon May 28, 2007 4:25 pm

There must be a free downloadable software that will allow me to produce sheet music, but I do not seem to be able to find it.

I can find tons of sheet music without fingering or in some cases fingering that I would like to change etc., the problem is that when I write on the sheet music it self, in time it becomes a mess.

Thanks
Joe

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Mon May 28, 2007 4:31 pm

Hello Joe,

Have a look here:

http://www.versiontracker.com

Great software whatever computer platform you are using!

Best wishes, V
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Luki Duki

Post by Luki Duki » Mon May 28, 2007 5:51 pm

Sibelius is the best, I think.

Of course you should spend some time to learn it.
But after you master it, it's wonderful.

http://www.sibelius.com

Brock

Post by Brock » Mon May 28, 2007 6:23 pm

Sadly Sibelius is not free!

Two free music notation softwares are Finale Notepad and Lilypond - if you use the forum search function you'll some discussions about these.

Carnbo

Post by Carnbo » Mon May 28, 2007 11:17 pm

I've been using music publishing software called Mozart for a number of years now.

It's not free (around £80), but you can download a three month full function trial version from the website.

I find that it does everything I want it to do and more, and it has a really good help facility.

The wesite is at http://www.mozart.co.uk/

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Tue May 29, 2007 1:36 am

TablEdit is another excellent one that also has a free component (tef viewer) and lots of user-produced music (including classical and other genres) The .tef format files preserve the fingering for you. You can also use it to import all of the midi files you find on the web, (make your own fingering changes and then save them). It is one of the most user-friendly of them all. The full version is not terribly expensive when you consider all of the "free" music it will generate. (It prints very nice notation and/or tablature)

JoeO

Post by JoeO » Tue May 29, 2007 5:03 am

Thanks for the replys, I'll be checking them out.

I thought that TablEdit only did tab, or am I confused about that?

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Tue May 29, 2007 5:49 am

TablEdit does both... you can enter notes using the notation staff, a virtual keyboard, a virtual fret board, or onto tablature lines (or import a midi file)
It has many instrument and alternative tuning options, a midi player that lets you select different instrument sounds, speed, loops, start slowly and speed up for each successive pass, etc for practicing... and you can print any way you like... notation, tablature or both together with one above the other... which is very useful for working out fingering options and learning to read notation. You can change the page orientation spacing of the lines, font size, lyrics, etc. And if you compose and want to hear how it sounds, you can save and export midi files as well. With a little bit of effort, you can also import and convert old fashion text tab (of which there are many in web archives).

There is also very good tech support available via email.

I work with many non-guitar baroque pieces that I find as midi files, and it makes it very easy to transpose, edit and do a very quick guitar arrangement.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”