Help with Lilypond string number indication

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Trystramys

Help with Lilypond string number indication

Post by Trystramys » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:11 am

Hello all,

I just got into Lilypond today, and after a bit of experimenting, I've found it to be very fun and extremely straightforward. I've learned the basics, but I'm having trouble with adding string number/letter indications. Fingering numbers are alright, but STRING number indications don't show up.

The website documentation mentions that one should add a "\" and the string number after the note, but that doesn't seem to work. Am I missing something?

Any help is appreciated. :D

Garlik

Post by Garlik » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:29 pm

Hi Tristramys,

<e-3\3>4.
<d-1\3>8

:wink:

camytay

Post by camytay » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:20 pm

Does this Lilypond run on Windows without any problems?

Trystramys

Post by Trystramys » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:15 am

Garlik, it works! Thank you so much! :okok: It's just a matter of getting the right syntax. :roll:

Cam, it runs without any problems for me (WinXP). If you've dabbled with programming language and you're comfortable working without a GUI, I recommend you try it! :D

wolfgang

Post by wolfgang » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:12 am

Thanks for the question and answers :wink: And if you folks have some sheets ready, would you share the sources as well? I'd like to see some sheets with guitar-specifics incorporated....

Greets
Wolfgang

Trystramys

Post by Trystramys » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:52 am

Welcome back Wolfgang! :D

As for samples, here's a couple I've been dabbling with. Notice in the second sample that I haven't quite gotten the spacing right. I'll work on that later. :roll:

As for the source code, I did what Garlik suggested: left hand fingerings are indicated with a -number (ex: f-1); string numbers with \number, plus the chord brackets if you add fingerings, etc (ex: <d-4\3>16).

There are more guitar specifics here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documenta ... ond/Guitar

Just be careful with whitespaces. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

camytay

Post by camytay » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:44 am

Trystramys wrote: Cam, it runs without any problems for me (WinXP). If you've dabbled with programming language and you're comfortable working without a GUI, I recommend you try it! :D
I do have a little light programming experience (php) but I think I'd still fancy a nice clickable GUI for making music sheets.

Garlik

Post by Garlik » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:08 am

Have some .ly here if some want to get my crappy works but also you can try http://www.mutopiaproject.org/.

BbMinor

Post by BbMinor » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:15 pm

I downloaded LilyPond today and experimented a bit with it. (On Sor, Op. 60, No. 1)

The results of this program are pretty awesome!

The music sheet is so... pretty! :D

(sor_60_1.ly, sor_60_1.pdf)

Jouni Stenroos

Post by Jouni Stenroos » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:09 am

I have used my own macros to create string numbers.

Code: Select all

gsone = \markup { \circle \teeny "1" }
similarly gstwo, gsthree etc. The definitions can be placed in a separate file which then can be included using the \include statement.

Using them is done exactly like other text markups, putting it after a "-" places it either above or below, depending on the note, using a "^" or "_" instead forces it either above or below.

Code: Select all

c4-\gstwo d-\gstwo
/Jouni

musikai

Post by musikai » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:17 pm

I'd still fancy a nice clickable GUI for making music sheets.
It's no gui but here you can get a very good addon for the texteditor Jedit.
http://lilypondtool.organum.hu/
Features:
- Document Wizard with lyrics support to set up documents easier
- Point-and-click support
- Structure browser with code folding
- Simple parser for finding simple errors
- Convenient running of LilyPond and related tools
- Automatic code completion for typing commands and tweaking properties
- Automatic hyphenation of lyrics using OpenOffice dictionaries
- Tools for macro and template writing

Return to “Composers' Workshop”