Finale 7 fingerings EUREKA!

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
eales

Finale 7 fingerings EUREKA!

Post by eales » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:40 am

They are in the articulation toolbox! Wahey!

z4kn4f31n

Post by z4kn4f31n » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:35 am

Wait a sec you mean that finale 7 has automatic fingering for guitar????

eales

Post by eales » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:36 am

Not what I'd call automatic, but better than using the text tool

eales

Post by eales » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:38 am

and (as usual :evil: ) it's piano oriented so there are five numbers available but the zero is smaller than 1 - 5 which is a bit annoying

z4kn4f31n

Post by z4kn4f31n » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:36 am

Ooh now i get what you mean. I'm gonna try this out. Damn why can't they have some more features in finale to suit guitar players.

eales

Post by eales » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:38 am

yeah. I have to make a text file to put rings around the string numbers. (Got the formula on a sticky on my monitor!)

z4kn4f31n

Post by z4kn4f31n » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:47 am

Cool, i'm gonna check that out as soon as i get my hands on finale!

Jouni Stenroos

Post by Jouni Stenroos » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:14 pm

Sibelius at least has the string numbers as symbols. But only to 9, I guess they have never heard of 10-string guitars...

-Jouni

z4kn4f31n

Post by z4kn4f31n » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:16 pm

Hmmm which of these programs would you recommend to me if i told you i wanted to write a classical guitar duet? With fingerings etc!

eales

Post by eales » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:24 pm

Well I've been using finale 7 widely for a coupleof months now in my teaching practice, for notation files that I convert to sound files to make CDs for the pupils, and ensemble group,so I can help you with the stuff I've discovered for myself. I was using Finale 2 before that and also Sibelius when studying, I prefer finale 7 now, it's got quite a few of the Sibelius features.

John O

Post by John O » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:16 pm

Do the fingerings include both hands and the strings? I made my own (along with a few other guitar notations) for Finale 2006 and saved it as a blank template, then I just rename it once I begin a new piece. Having them built-in would be a lot more convenient.

eales

Post by eales » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:54 pm

Good point, no, only the piano fingerings. (I usually just write them in as needed, it would be luxury not to have to.) I don't remember Sibelius having them either but Sib 5 might.
This only adds to my sense of alienation and low worth within the greater musical community and it's so unjustified, especially when you consider the popularity of the instrument. I don't see why we should have to spend money and learning time on a separate program just because of musical snobbery. :twisted: :evil:

:cry:

That was your end of year tired teacher grouch for 2007, coming to you from sunny (hah, ..... no... lets leave that one!) Glasgow Scotland. At least we're not flooded. :D

z4kn4f31n

Post by z4kn4f31n » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:23 am

So you're saying that finale is the best solution for guitars? :S Sibelius or Finale? :S Damn why does everything have to be for piano??? :P

eales

Post by eales » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:15 am

welllll, just that I'm okay with it. We used Sib 2 3 and 4 at college but I never used it for my own teaching cos was kept too busy churning out ensembles of establishment instruments (Great fun nonetheless!) and fingering problems never arose. I reckon Finale 7 is fine apart from the aforementioned irritations. Sib 5 might have guitar features but do we really think it has? no we don't do we. gggrrrr. :evil:
From time to time I get invites to come and admire the latest Sibelius stuff - I've never bothered to go cos I know I can't afford it anyway.

There's a guy in the Borders here (Scottish/English) that has developed what looks like a really really good program at a fraction of the price of the big guys - he's got a free demo online - wait and I'll try to find where I put his name, I'll get in touch and see if he has any of these features on it. I could pm it to you if you wanted.

Jouni Stenroos

Post by Jouni Stenroos » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:18 am

Sibelius has fingerings. The right hand fingerings were not there directly, but since they are just staff texts, it's easy to add own text style for them, copying from left hand fingerings and adjusting the font. The weakness in the staff texts is that while they do place horizontally correct, and you can even move to the next note and enter next finger by just pressing space, the vertical placement has to be adjusted by hand. I usually enter fingerings for a longer passage at a time, and then go back and move the finger markings to better places.

I tested Finale2007 too, and was able to create more automatic fingering placements by making my own styles, but I found it buggy, some fingerings refused to stay out of the note head. I moved them aside, but they slipped back as soon I did anything.

The problem with fingerings is, especially in guitar music, that it often requires a human eye to find a good place for the finger markings. No software can do it perfectly. I believe Lilypond does it better than any other software.

-Jouni

Return to “Composers' Workshop”