Notion Music: Progression - new software for guitarists

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
woz

Notion Music: Progression - new software for guitarists

Post by woz » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:18 am

I have just noticed this:

http://www.notionmusic.com/products/progression/

- something new for us to play with?
Notion sounds for the orchestral are quite realistic on playback. It will be interesting how this sounds when it is out.

John O

Post by John O » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:53 pm

"PROGRESSION features thousands of real electric and acoustic guitar samples from Neil Zaza, and electric bass and drums samples from Grammy® Award winners Victor Wooten and Roy "FutureMan" Wooten."

I'd feel better if those samples were from Dammann, Ruck, Houser, Romanillos, Byers, Stenzel, etc. :wink:

woz

Re: Notion Music: Progression - new software for guitarists

Post by woz » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:52 am

OK it is available - have a look. BTW, I have nothing to do with NotionMusic, the company - just that I have their scoring program so I pop in to the website for updates.

http://progression.notionmusic.com/

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:36 pm

I didn't have time to do much digging, but I have two (early music related) questions that you might know the answers to...
1) how many strings (courses) can it handle in tablature mode (you need 14 courses for some lute/theorbo stuff), and
2) can it handle SoundFonts for playback (without having to use midi yoke, etc.)?

thanks

woz

Post by woz » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:07 pm

Sorry, Azalias, I do not know. Perhaps question them directly. Looking at it, it looks like it does a little acoustic and a lot of electric guitar stuff. Not sure about early music. But if you contact them they might have that under development - or would want to - if many people ask. They do have an extensive classical side with "Notion" the score application (coming from the London Symphony Orchestra) and are still releasing add on sounds for that. Let us know if you find out anything.

I could not find a demo to download either. Maybe it is coming as "Notion" had one.

Kyle_Poehling

Post by Kyle_Poehling » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:23 pm

Azalais wrote:I didn't have time to do much digging, but I have two (early music related) questions that you might know the answers to...
1) how many strings (courses) can it handle in tablature mode (you need 14 courses for some lute/theorbo stuff), and
2) can it handle SoundFonts for playback (without having to use midi yoke, etc.)?

thanks
Hello!

My name is Kyle Poehling and I'm with Notion Music. Hopefully I can answer a your questions...

1) PROGRESSION will handle nearly as many strings as you'd like to use although the playback samples are not unlimited. The sample set for Acoustic Guitar (Classical samples recorded from Abbey Road are soon to come!) is from d1 (sounding) to d5 (sounding) and the program will stretch the pitch to match what is written.

2) PROGRESSION will only host VST's at the moment, but VSTI's are slated for inclusion in the future, so you could use the MIDI out option in PROGRESSION to trigger your SoundFonts samples via the MIDI yoke.

Hope this helps! I'm happy to answer any other questions you all might have about the program...
Kyle Poehling
Notion Music
kyle@notionmusic.com

woz

Post by woz » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:02 am

Kyle, are there harmonics and is there a demo? to download.
thanks

Kyle_Poehling

Post by Kyle_Poehling » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:45 pm

woz wrote:Kyle, are there harmonics and is there a demo? to download.
thanks
woz,

Sorry there aren't any harmonics in this version, but we should be including them in updates soon to come! We WILL have a demo for download up by the end of the week or beginning of next week at the latest. If you check back with the page linked below you should be able to download it by then....

http://progression.notionmusic.com

Thanks!
Kyle Poehling

Guitar Slim

Post by Guitar Slim » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:43 pm

This sofware came up on another thread

:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21726

where Kyle provided an answer to this question:
Kyle_Poehling wrote:
Thierry wrote:How are multiple voices in the same stave being handled? In programs like Finale, you need a layer for each voice which is (in my opinion) very annoying.
There are two "voices" available in PROGRESSION, and they can be handled on the same staff. I'm not totally sure if this is how Finale handles it, but I do know that the dual voice option in PROGRESSION is easy to use and very accurate.
Anyone interested in this software, just be aware that a lot of classical-guitar music requires more than two voices on a single staff, with the ability to handle overlapping note values and rests, etc.

I'm not trying to bust your chops Kyle, but I've checked out a lot of "guitar notation" programs and found a lot of them had this same limitation. Fortunately, I was aware of it before I actually spent any money on the software, and I want to make sure anyone considering this software is also aware of it's limitations -- cool samples and stuff notwithstanding.

And I would also like to encourage the Notion Music company to take us classical guitarists into account and address this shortcoming. Hey, if you do, you'll have one of the few TAB/notation programs that can do real classical-guitar music!

Kyle_Poehling

Post by Kyle_Poehling » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:52 pm

Guitar Slim wrote:This sofware came up on another thread

:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21726

where Kyle provided an answer to this question:
Kyle_Poehling wrote:
Thierry wrote:How are multiple voices in the same stave being handled? In programs like Finale, you need a layer for each voice which is (in my opinion) very annoying.
There are two "voices" available in PROGRESSION, and they can be handled on the same staff. I'm not totally sure if this is how Finale handles it, but I do know that the dual voice option in PROGRESSION is easy to use and very accurate.
Anyone interested in this software, just be aware that a lot of classical-guitar music requires more than two voices on a single staff, with the ability to handle overlapping note values and rests, etc.

I'm not trying to bust your chops Kyle, but I've checked out a lot of "guitar notation" programs and found a lot of them had this same limitation. Fortunately, I was aware of it before I actually spent any money on the software, and I want to make sure anyone considering this software is also aware of it's limitations -- cool samples and stuff notwithstanding.

And I would also like to encourage the Notion Music company to take us classical guitarists into account and address this shortcoming. Hey, if you do, you'll have one of the few TAB/notation programs that can do real classical-guitar music!
Woz,

The plan for the classical guitar sample release is for the nylon string to support up to 4 voices. As I said earlier it'll be included in an update sometime in the near future...nice to know we'll be the only program that can do real classical-guitar music!

-Kyle

musikai

Post by musikai » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:17 pm

nice to know we'll be the only program that can do real classical-guitar music!
hehe, not quite right, you'll be one of them. Sibelius, Finale, Tabazar, Musedit, Encore, Lilypond, Score, Engraver and some more are capable of it.
Sagreras Gitarrenschule PDF
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
See website link

Guitar Slim

Post by Guitar Slim » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:59 pm

musikai wrote:
nice to know we'll be the only program that can do real classical-guitar music!
hehe, not quite right, you'll be one of them. Sibelius, Finale, Tabazar, Musedit, Encore, Lilypond, Score, Engraver and some more are capable of it.
Actuall, I think Kyle was responding to my comment -- that it would be one of the few TAB/guitar specialty programs that can handle more than two voices.

Powertab can't do more than two voices, GuitarPro can't, and neither can several other programs I've looked at. TablEdit can, which is why I use it.

Ironic, that some of the most popular guitar "specialty" programs can't properly notate classical-guitar music! I bring it up because CGers should know which software can actually handle the demands of CG notation -- since a lot of it can't.

Props to Notion Music for adressing this issue. Thanks Kyle.

Although I've got to say -- I always prefer the cheesiest sounding MIDI playback possible. That way, the music will always sound better when it's played on a real guitar! :twisted:

Kyle_Poehling

Post by Kyle_Poehling » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:24 pm

Hello all!

Just wanted to stop by and let you know that we've added some new flash demos of Progression on our site! These focus on solo instruments...no nylon string example yet (sorry) but we're working on it!

Stop by if you have a second:
http://progression.notionmusic.com

Thanks so much for your time!
Kyle Poehling

Return to “Composers' Workshop”