Anyone using Denemo/Lily Pond for notation?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
cmhodge

Anyone using Denemo/Lily Pond for notation?

Post by cmhodge » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:49 am

Hi Folks,
I just came across Denemo, an open source front end to the open source Lily Pond for creating scores. It looks intriguing, and after playing with it a few minutes it looks promising. However, its still fairly early in its development, and has a few bugs and some limitations. Before I invest too much time in this I was wondering if any of you folks have had sucess with Denemo.
And please don't tell me to buy Sibelius or Finale :wink:

thanks,
Chris

Trystramys

Post by Trystramys » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:58 pm

Hi Chris, thanks for the heads up! I dabbled with Lilypond awhile back, and appreciate a GUI for this.

However, I think I'll wait for the v1.0 release. :roll:

Jouni Stenroos

Post by Jouni Stenroos » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:19 pm

Lilypond is a great tool, if you just have enough patience in the start. I hope the Denemo develops at a point where it is really usable for more serious work. It surely would expand the user base of Lilypond. While waiting for that, I'll just stick with good old Vi-editor and enter Lilypond language directly :)

-Jouni

musikai

Post by musikai » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:43 pm

Although on the homepage they say denemo is alive the last version is still from 2005.

Perhaps this project here will do a fine job in the next years (not very useful yet):
http://canorus.berlios.de/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

The main developers of Noteedit (which is linux only) have moved to this project.

Without a real gui but with very helpful wizards I think Jedit is a good choice as a Lilypond editor:
http://www.jedit.org/
Because there is a free addon (which can also be downloaded or updated from within the editor):
http://lilypondtool.organum.hu/
See the videos on the page.
Lilypondtool uses an internal pdf viewer which allows to use the point and click feature of the Lilypond generated files. So you can click on a note and immediately get to the right spot in the lilypond file. A feature that doesn't really work with Adobe viewer on windows. At least for me it doesn't.

cmhodge

Post by cmhodge » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:11 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys, especially musikai-- I'll have to check out the links you gave.
OK, so I guess I shouldn't hold my breath on more features in Denemo :?. Still, it looks very useful as is for getting a lot of notes down--I can always touch up the text file before sending it to Lilypond. What I like about Denemo is that it is keyboard-centric (the aim is to be touch-typeable) and that you can assign the key bindings any way you like.

--Chris

cmhodge

Post by cmhodge » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:13 am

musikai,
Thanks for steering me in the direction of Jedit! LilyPondTool is an incredible plugin. The pdf viewer and edit-in-place work for me (I'm using Windows too) and the midi playback is great for proofreading.

[edit] My initial enthusiasm for Denemo waned a bit after I tried inputting some real music :( It's a great idea and I wish the developers best of luck, but IMHO I don't think its quite ready yet.
--Chris

ramses0

Denemo + lilypond

Post by ramses0 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:54 am

I have to second muzikai's information. Here's a bit of my trial and tribulation w/ an eventual lilypond output file.

http://www.robertames.com/blog.cgi/entr ... etude.html

Denemo was great for laying down the major structure but I too tired of it and ended up going to lilypond source pretty quickly.

Canorus was completely not there yet when I tried it (a month or two ago).

NoteEdit was pretty good (I think that's the one that I settled on), and supposedly KGuitar is pretty good too but I couldn't ever get the sheetmusic view working right (something about fonts for drawing the note heads).

I'll have to check out that lilypondtool page, as that's the first I've heard of it.

--Robert

Marco Helms

Re: Anyone using Denemo/Lily Pond for notation?

Post by Marco Helms » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:47 am

This post is a bit outdated, but maybe there is still some interest in it: Over 5 years after the last post the 1.0 release is imminent! You can download the RC6-aprerelease for Windows here http://denemo.org/downloads/denemo-1.0. ... .mingw.exe

A played a little with the latest stable 0.9.6 which was very promising! MIDI-Setup was a little tricky under Ubuntu, maybe its easier under Windows. As I read about so far you can assign shortcut-keys for almost everything, what would make denemo superior over MuseScore to me.

Lilypondexport should be good, because it is mentioned on lilypond.org, so all kinds of tweaking are possible via command-line.

philip_rhoades

Post by philip_rhoades » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:36 am

People,

I have started using Denemo in the last couple of days (on Fedora 19) - mainly because I wanted to write beginner scores with random notes for myself to practise on single strings. I got this working fine - after I worked out the Denemo file format, I wrote a little Ruby script and was able to produce exactly what I wanted! There is actually a sight reading facility built into Denemo but I couldn't configure it to do exactly what I wanted. Now I have 18 days to prepare for a Classical Guitar Summer School (Sydney, Australia) and I need to get sight reading going for the first position notes . . should be interesting!

Regards,

Phil.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:26 pm

Hi Phil.

Welcome to the forum. Could you please introduce yourself here.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Return to “Composers' Workshop”