Linux Music Notation Software?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Siridivi

Linux Music Notation Software?

Post by Siridivi » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:12 pm

I'm a recent Ubuntu Linux convert, is there a truly user friendly music notation program out there? I've tried Rosegarden, NoteEdit, MuSe, and other, and none has the user friendliness of say . . . Finale. I would love to score music. I'm a vocalist by training, a guitarist by desire, and of course can't afford to shell out hundreds of dollars for software, unfortunately. Any help would be appreciated.

sxedio

Re: Linux Music Notation Software?

Post by sxedio » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:37 pm

well, there's lilypond, which probably doesn't count as friendly by not being WYSIWYG but does produce beautiful scores. I think it is worth to put some effort and learn it, the result will be rewarding
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

skmcclure

Post by skmcclure » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:58 pm

I tried a few and Rosegarden and NoteEdit seemed like the best of the bunch to me.

Siridivi

Post by Siridivi » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:54 am

My actual motivation isn't for publishing music, it's for on-the-fly composition. Which makes the ease-of-use essential when I'm flubbing about with what chord progression sounds the best at two in the morning. :-)

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:52 pm

are you using a midi enabled keyboard/ keyboard controller or even a guitar synth with midi output? Or just entering notes using the mouse/computer keyboard? If I was trying to evaluate chord progressions I would do it on the guitar (very quietly at 2 in the morning) but then again I 'm not very good with either notation or keyboards.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

BenMoon

Post by BenMoon » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:31 am

Siridivi wrote:My actual motivation isn't for publishing music, it's for on-the-fly composition. Which makes the ease-of-use essential when I'm flubbing about with what chord progression sounds the best at two in the morning. :-)
Hi Siridivi,
if you've already tried on the mentioned software you've had the most capabale programs. Maybe you have already a program of your liking running on windows machine. In that case you could give "wine" and friends a try to get that software running on linux.

Ben

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:12 pm

Hello Ben,

I notice you have only just joined us. Welcome! If you have time please visit the Introduce Yourself area where you might like to tell us a little about your musical background and interests,

Best wishes, V
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

maximus

Post by maximus » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:47 am

I've tried them all and I had little success with them just producing even a simple guitar score, so I went pack to hand coding lilypond by hand. This was actually quite a while ago, but it appears that even recently, given your experience, the programs haven't progressed that much. Maybe I need to look into them again to see what I can do since I've learned a little more about creating scores with computer programs rather than just pencil and paper. Perhaps each has a little bit of a learning curve.

But, in your case I would think that dual booting ubuntu and windows would be the solution. If you are confident with switching OS's, maybe you can switch to Mac. Mac OS is based on unix and runs only on Apple's hardware because of a special chip required to run Mac OS, but given that Apple's hardware is now based on intel CPU's and motherboards, you can now install and dual boot Mac OS, Linux, or Windows.

So what did you like/dislike about the opensource music edit programs you tried?

Maximus

Siridivi

Post by Siridivi » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:38 am

Hey Maximus,

What I didn't like about the open source programs was their lack of ease of use. None of the ones that I tried seemed to make good use of more than just the left mouse button, nor were they configurable enough to allow me to assign uses to them. Say, place a note by left-clicking then delete it by right-clicking. There was no concise and complete help programs, in one of the programs I never did figure out how to add an accidental.

The one program that looked like it might be really good I was unable to use because I couldn't get it to compile, Brahms -> http://brahms.sourceforge.net/. I kept getting errors regarding KDE, which I don't use. So, I downloaded and installed Kubuntu (KDE + Ubunutu) and still couldn't get it to run after resolving several dependencies. After a few hours of trying I gave up.

One day I hope to have the skills to write my own music notation program.

Siridivi

Post by Siridivi » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:41 am

I tried that, but the program won't start, it loops saying that Windows needs to be restarted to complete installation.

runestone

Post by runestone » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:54 am

Siridivi wrote:I'm a recent Ubuntu Linux convert, is there a truly user friendly music notation program out there? I've tried Rosegarden, NoteEdit, MuSe, and other, and none has the user friendliness of say . . . Finale. I would love to score music. I'm a vocalist by training, a guitarist by desire, and of course can't afford to shell out hundreds of dollars for software, unfortunately. Any help would be appreciated.

You know Siridivi, it is possible to partition your hard drive so that you can run Linux from one partition or Windows from the other. This way you have both mainstream operating systems, which will allow you to have a wider selection of software and to keep using your copy of Finale.

mperkins

Post by mperkins » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:17 am

I also haven't had much luck finding a good music notation program for Linux. Two I recently found are nted (http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/st ... nted.xhtml) and gcomposer (http://sed.free.fr/gcomposer/); unfortunately I haven't had much luck getting either to compile in Ubuntu 7.04, but you might have better luck.

woz

Post by woz » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:48 am

I agree with some of the others, just use a dual boot computer. If you like FInale, use that - or whatever. Once you are in the notation program you should not be interacting immediately with the OS - no matter what it is. This way you are taking advantage of the years of development and refinement of the programmers to bring you the notation input. If you have read other threads on notation software, there is no ONE software that does it for everyone, each has it's advantages and disadvantages, hence even if you did find something running on Linux, part of you might not still be satisfied with what it offers.

Cédric

Post by Cédric » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:28 pm

Hi,

I am the creator of gcomposer (http://sed.free.fr/gcomposer). I am also a classic guitarist (I registered here several months ago and participated on the french forum when I had a job and time to surf the web in the office :)) and I write this program mainly for us, classic guitarists, to write solo pieces. (We are special musicians with special needs. :))

mperkins, get in touch with me by email, I will help you to compile it for ubuntu. (Next week I am completely
offline, but after that I can help you.)

The program has some problems (especially with audio playback). But I plan to fix them. (After mid-january, it's holiday time for now.)

I tried to make a program that uses the keyboard a lot. It is easier to enter music with the keyboard I think. But I may have done it wrong. I never used commercial programs like sibelius and the like so I don't know how they do it. So I need some comments to do a nice program. (Don't be afraid to say what you think as long as you remain friendly. Negative comments are what make a program become better.)

There is also a nice (I hope) tutorial to get your hands on the program. I am like you, when I use a new program, I want some help to start, and I think an interactive tutorial does it well. So I did that. (I think in less than one hour you can start to understand how to use gcomposer.)

Anyway if some guitarists out there want to try it and comment on it (what feature are missing for us guitarists, what is painful to do, what is nice, and so on), I very welcome comments.

Just give me some weeks. Holiday time. :-) I'll return on the development in mid-january.

Happy guitar!

Return to “Composers' Workshop”