Software for guitar notation

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Gerry

Software for guitar notation

Post by Gerry » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:46 pm

I have been doing some guitar notation using computer software, but have found difficulty with certain conventions that are used in printed guitar scores, in particular this kind of thing:
graphic.jpg
I couldn't find any straightforward way to do this with either Finale 2001, or SmartScore 3. Perhaps newer versions of this software, or some other software I don't know of, lets you do this kind of notation easily.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Gerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gerry on Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Notturno

Re: Software for guitar notation

Post by Notturno » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:35 am

I've always written in Note Worthy Composer. This would be possible to write in this software. Have you tried? As I mention you should write first the shorter values and than the longer (sixteens, then eighteen etc.) There is an option, where you can also change the direction of notes (I don't know how it"s called on english)

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:47 am

Notturno wrote:I've always written in Note Worthy Composer.
I haven't seen Note Worthy. The problem is that there is no 16th note head, as it has been replaced by a half note, with tail down. I can replicate this in Finale, I think, by putting in the initial 16th note, then hiding its head, and ensuring that the half note is in exactly the right position. But this would be a rather clumsy way to do it.

Notturno

Post by Notturno » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:59 am

I've never used Finale. I heard that the software is sometimes to complicate. In Note Worthy was that very simple. On the web site you can download a trial version. I really recomend it. The only one negative thing was you can't tie the notes in irregular groups with seven or nine etc.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:54 am

Notturno wrote: On the web site you can download a trial version.
Thanks Notturno. Good idea. I'll download the trial version and see how it goes.

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:15 am

In Finale, you can do that by using the "Layers" option for different voices.

Do you have little buttons in the bottom left corner marked 1 2 3 4? If you press "2", you'll be able to write a 2nd voice and it will have its own rhythmic values. (It will also be a different color, but it won't print out that way...) You can flip the stems, as well.

Good luck!

Alan

JoeO

Post by JoeO » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:32 am

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:05 am

Tarbaby wrote:In Finale, you can do that by using the "Layers" option for different voices.
Yes, you can get the half-note as a second layer, with its tail down, but the problem is to connect to the set of 16th notes, as in the graphic. Sure, you can put in a "dummy" 16th note as the first note of the set in that low A position, but if you position the half-note, which has white space inside, over the top of the dummy note, the black 16th note shows through and fills the head in black, so the base note then looks like a quarter note. Bottom line is you don't see a half note for A, you see a black quarter note.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:15 am

Notturno wrote:In Note Worthy was that very simple..
HI again Notturno. I did as you suggested and downloaded the trial version of NoteWorthy. It has some nice features. But I still can't see how to get the effect shown in the graphic. If I set up the 16th notes with a "dummy" low A as the first note, then put the bottom A as a half-note in its own staff layer, when I combine the layers into one staff the positions and tails are fine, but the white space of the half-note gets filled in by the black quarter-note underneath, so that it no longer looks like a half-note, but a quarter-note.

I would appreciate it if you could a make little NoteWorthy file with those few notes in it to show the same effect as the graphic above, and attach it to a posting.

Thanks

Gerry

Notturno

Post by Notturno » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:47 am

Hmm I don't know how to make a jpg in this software to upload it here... I did it although that is a little different.

lagrima

Post by lagrima » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:50 am

I always thought that notation was curious - we understand what it means (two voices), but it is not literal.

There are other editions of his work with similar passages where the editor indicates a 16th note rest for the upper voice and clearly separates the lower voice. If you are going to use Finale, that is probably the only way to make it work (with two layers). Temporally that is what is really happening anyway.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:28 am

Notturno wrote:Hmm I don't know how to make a jpg in this software to upload it here... I did it although that is a little different.
There's no need for a jpg, as there doesn't appear to be a graphics option. Just attach the noteworthy file using "upload attachment" at the bottom of the text window, and I'll be able to open it in my trial version of the software.

Gerry

Notturno

Post by Notturno » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:39 am

Gerry wrote:
Notturno wrote:Hmm I don't know how to make a jpg in this software to upload it here... I did it although that is a little different.
There's no need for a jpg, as there doesn't appear to be a graphics option. Just attach the noteworthy file using "upload attachment" at the bottom of the text window, and I'll be able to open it in my trial version of the software.

Gerry
I tried to do it but it doesn"t work. So give me your E-mail and I send it to you

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:13 am

Notturno wrote:I tried to do it but it doesn"t work. So give me your E-mail and I send it to you
Thanks Notturno. Yes, I'll PM my address.

But in the meantime, I went back to Finale, and found that it didn't take as long as I thought it would.

Please have a look at the piece in the score section: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26827

Gerry

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:14 pm

Notturno wrote: In Note Worthy was that very simple.
Thanks for sending me the NoteWorthy version of the measure. It looks like this:
NoteWorthy.jpg
I can do this in Finale too, without a problem. But it's not quite right, because it seems to show that the four 16th notes should be played, whereas, in fact, only the thumb should be striking the first note. The half-note should be over the top of the first 16th note. Have a look at the Finale version I put in the scores at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26827 to see the required appearance.

Thanks for introducing me to the NoteWorthy software.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gerry on Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”