Software for guitar notation

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
lam

Re: Software for guitar notation

Post by lam » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:43 pm

Gerry wrote:I'm not sure that we're talking about the same thing here. I referred to the process of placing one note over the other simply as a device to get the "merged notehead" effect which is used so frequently in guitar scores (see Jouni's example using LilyPond).
Gerry
My misunderstanding, I read it too literally. Thank you.
lam

stringtickler

Post by stringtickler » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:18 pm

Gerry wrote:
63Sean wrote:MusEdit, MusEdit, MusEdit. 'nuff said.
So does MusEdit allow you to merge noteheads for guitar music, as discussed in this thread?

Gerry
Yes, MusEdit allows you to easily create any combination of oppositely-stemmed shared noteheads. Some randomly created examples follow:
musedit_shared_notes.jpg
The good thing about Musedit is that it was designed with guitarists in mind. So opposite-stemmed shared notes are always correctly overlapped by default. You can also nudge 1/4 notes or above to offset them if required.

[By the way, some programs (including Finale Allegro) offset 1/2 notes by default and no correction is possible].
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bebenny

Post by bebenny » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:57 am

Although it's quite simple and probably not 'professional' enough for your purpose, I just wanted to mention tuxguitar (http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/).

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Post by Larry McDonald » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:55 pm

Gerry has it right with regard to the question of accuracy in notation. I did something similar with historical notation. Here is an example of historical notation practices and some issues with regard to performance practice.

http://www.larrymcdonaldguitar.com/My_H ... e_nere.pdf

These were done on Finale 2007.

Larry McDonald

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:32 am

stringtickler wrote:So opposite-stemmed shared notes are always correctly overlapped by default. You can also nudge 1/4 notes or above to offset them if required.
Nuff said!

Thanks stringtickler.

Sean

Post by Sean » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:35 am

Once more with feeling - MusEdit. You can't go wrong.

tree-hugger

Post by tree-hugger » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:30 am

The problem that lead to this thread, that of overlapping notes in two voices, is handled by default by MusixTex, and also by the optional pre-processors for MusixTex, such as PMX and M-Tx. These are available from the Werner Icking Music Archive. Also on that site can be found various scores prepared using the above tools. One example from that site which includes notes overlapping in two voices is Fernando Sor's Andante in A minor, transcribed by Joel Mayes. Both the pdf and the MusixTex sources are available on the site.

Someone mentioned previously in this thread the existence of MusixTex and was concerned that it might be a bit limited. I have MusixTex on my Linux machine at work, and use the PMX pre-processor to prepare simple exercise pieces. I have also transcribed the first five pieces from Sor's Opus 60, and am working on the sixth piece. So far I have not found any limitations, and I am still a novice user of these tools. For anyone familiar with Tex or LaTex, I think MusixTex would be easy to learn. For those not so familiar, the PMX pre-processor does not require such familiarity. And of course, all this stuff is open source and free.

George.

Sean

Post by Sean » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:18 am

georgejt wrote:The problem that lead to this thread, that of overlapping notes in two voices, is handled by default by MusixTex, and also by the optional pre-processors for MusixTex, such as PMX and M-Tx. These are available from the Werner Icking Music Archive. Also on that site can be found various scores prepared using the above tools. One example from that site which includes notes overlapping in two voices is Fernando Sor's Andante in A minor, transcribed by Joel Mayes. Both the pdf and the MusixTex sources are available on the site.

Someone mentioned previously in this thread the existence of MusixTex and was concerned that it might be a bit limited. I have MusixTex on my Linux machine at work, and use the PMX pre-processor to prepare simple exercise pieces. I have also transcribed the first five pieces from Sor's Opus 60, and am working on the sixth piece. So far I have not found any limitations, and I am still a novice user of these tools. For anyone familiar with Tex or LaTex, I think MusixTex would be easy to learn. For those not so familiar, the PMX pre-processor does not require such familiarity. And of course, all this stuff is open source and free.

George.

Now I'm hungry for Tex-Mex!

:casque:

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:22 am

63Sean wrote:
georgejt wrote:The problem that lead to this thread, that of overlapping notes in two voices, is handled by default by MusixTex, and also by the optional pre-processors for MusixTex, such as PMX and M-Tx. These are available from the Werner Icking Music Archive. Also on that site can be found various scores prepared using the above tools. One example from that site which includes notes overlapping in two voices is Fernando Sor's Andante in A minor, transcribed by Joel Mayes. Both the pdf and the MusixTex sources are available on the site.

George.

Now I'm hungry for Tex-Mex!

:casque:
The inventor, Donald Knuth, said it was pronounced Techhh (like a good German, although in this case it is a Greek derivative).

So techhhh-mechhhh ought to put you off your hunger. :P
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

jack_gvr

Post by jack_gvr » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:05 pm

63Sean wrote:Once more with feeling - MusEdit. You can't go wrong.
I'm singing harmony with 63 Sean on this one. MusEdit IS the guitarist's notation program.
It overlays note heads as a matter of course for precisely this purpose, made that way by
the guitarist who programmed it - and who continues to update it monthly to this very day
with new features suggested by users like yours truly, who sent the author a long list of whiny suggestions
last year and was amazed to find most of them implemented in the new version of MusEdit.

MusEdit has a little learning curve because if you want to get fast at it you have to use the keyboard.
It's good for geeks who can type! and not so good for mouse lovers, although there are a few features
that do require the mouse.
Amazingly flexible program because it's really about putting musical symbols on the page
where and how YOU like to put them, with some special considerations for guitar notation.

I looked into LilyPond, and it does beautiful output, but it's a markup language thing and not
WYSIWYG, so there's another layer of abstraction to the process, and you may have to write down
what you want to print by hand before you write the code, which pretty much kills it for me. If I had it
written down already, I'd just photocopy it and be done with it. With MusEdit, I just open the program and
start typing the score, put the cursor on the staff and type "q" for quarter note stem up, "Q" for quarter
note stem down, etc, select the notes and "control-D" to connect 8ths with beams, shift-control-L brings up
the dialogue box to set the staff line length, and of course there's a help screen with all the keyboard
shortcuts, and many toolboxes with musical symbols which work with either mouse or keyboard.

anatem

Post by anatem » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:46 pm

guitarpro anyone ?

i left the tab part in, but you can remove it before you export it to pdf or to midi or to ascii or to wma.. or you can set your tempo and dynamics etc. and listen to it played with the real sound engine before as well. or you can..etc. etc., whatever you need. almost. :)

Awesome software for multiple uses (though it seems to be used mainly for tabbing guitar scores).
Costs around 30$ or smth though if i remember correctly. http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:54 pm

My problem with guitar pro is no support for 3 voices. The very first piece I tried to input into GP had 3 voices. It'd be my choice for quick entry if it only had that feature! With these types of software, I like to enter the melody line completely, then the bass, and then the inner voice if there is one. I find just that exercise somewhat helpful in understanding a new piece.

It's a valid point about Lilypond - beautiful typesetting but sort of a lot of work. So maybe I'll try Musedit.

anatem

Post by anatem » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:04 pm

not sure i've ever come across a guitar score with 3 voices or maybe i wasn't looking properly, could you please exemplify ? :)

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:19 pm

anatem wrote:not sure i've ever come across a guitar score with 3 voices or maybe i wasn't looking properly, could you please exemplify ? :)
In my case, it was Satie's Gymnopedie No 1, Almeida's version.

Three voices is actually very common in CG music. I have to admit to not noticing it as much as I should until I tried to enter into notation software. Then, when it goes to enforce time values within a measure, you're sunk.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:05 pm

jack_gvr wrote:MusEdit IS the guitarist's notation program.
Thanks for this comment, Jack. MusEdit seems to be an excellent program for guitar notation. As you say, LilyPond gives very nice output.

Finale does automatically overlay the notes as required in the guitar notation. The only problem is when you're placing a white-filled note over a black one, because the black note head underneath shows through (but there's a workaround, by hiding the black note head). The only thing I can't see how to do for CG is the notation with numbers inside a circle to show the left-hand position. You can have lots of independent voices - more than you'd ever need for CG. It does automatic tablature (I've never had to use it).

For music entry I use a little two-octave keyboard, so, as a pianist, I can play the notes in very quickly.

Gerry

Return to “Composers' Workshop”