Notation software

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
jazz girl

Notation software

Post by jazz girl » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:34 pm

I would like to transcribe some music (hymns) onto one stave so that it's easier to read and I need some software to write it all down.

I've got Finale Print Music but it's a bit fiddly. Can anyone suggest anything else thats quick and easy to use? I'm not bothered about loads of flashy features.

tgwilt

Re: Notation software

Post by tgwilt » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:30 pm

Depends on your budget...

I recently purchased G7 (Sibelius) which is guitar centric. It's easy to use, etc. For a free program there's nothing to compare to LilyPond, though.

HTH
Cheers,

Tom Gwilt

Temporary Saint

Post by Temporary Saint » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:32 pm

I took a look at Lilypond. Isn't there a pretty steep learning curve there? If I remember correctly, you have to write out the score with codes and then the progam compiles it into (beautiful) sheet music. Is that basically correct?

Steve
8{I
Endeavor to be unique. Everyone else does.

tgwilt

Post by tgwilt » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:33 pm

That's true - so LilyPond is free as far as not having to pay for it with currency, but it will cost you time and effort.

TANSTAAFL
Cheers,

Tom Gwilt

bouncing_guitard

Post by bouncing_guitard » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:42 pm

Hi

I use a program called Guitar Pro. I think it was between $40 and $50. You can get a free version, but I don't think you can print music from it. I use it when I want to jot down ideas. It is kind of a cool program because if you are into rock and jazz (a few classical pieces) you can find music or tab written for the program and the program will play it. You can speed up or slow down the play back, so that you can play along. You can isolate sections and play them in a loop. You can also put in all of your classical pieces and the program will play them. I have not completely learned it at all, but I mess around with writing and entering music on it from time to time and I do use it a lot for playing back the contemporary and classical pieces I have for it.

Oh another thing it does that is kinda cool, although I know a lot of you use only music. It will change musical notation to tab and tab to musical notation. That is handy when I want to teach my tab only reading friends a cool tune.

tapsa

Post by tapsa » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:49 pm

I'm sure you enjoy of Lilypond tutorial (for Linux) http://www.eugenecormier.com/pdfs/lilypond-guide.pdf made by a classical guitarist.

Or perhaps mscore http://mscore.sourceforge.net/ is what you are loooking after.

-tapsa-

Brynmor

Post by Brynmor » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:07 pm

jazz girl wrote:I would like to transcribe some music (hymns) onto one stave so that it's easier to read and I need some software to write it all down.

I've got Finale Print Music but it's a bit fiddly. Can anyone suggest anything else thats quick and easy to use? I'm not bothered about loads of flashy features.
Finale Notepad will do what you want and it's free!

jazz girl

Post by jazz girl » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:42 am

KevinCollins wrote:If you are arranging a hymn for church, ask your organist or music director what they use -- it helps to have someone to call while you're getting started.
I am the organist! (Well, one of four). The music is more like piano music really but is played on an organ. I just wanted to have a go at playing them on guitar - they are also fantastic for endless short-ish sight-reading pieces (I play the top one or two lines of the melody). It must be paying off because I got 9/10 for sight-reading for my last exam and the exam before, the examiner said it was the best sight-reading he had heard all day (it was 4pm :D ) I've always thought that my sight-reading was the thing I was worst at and I was just a little bit scared of it, so that was great for my confidence!

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions, they've been very helpful. I notice that G7 has a demo version where you can access most of the software except save. As long as I can print them out, that might work but I will look at them all.

Thanks again :merci:

KevinCollins

Post by KevinCollins » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:54 pm

Then, how about some quartets, jazz girl?

Simple enough -- open a Bach Chorale or four-part hymn in the software, put it all in guitar staff (tenor clef) and hand it out to a group. I used to do this for the old guitar society, for sight-reading. Builds confidence, gets them accustomed to playing (and hearing) individual lines or voices, and involves everyone, at every level (even alto's have fun). Book One-level players and advanced get to play together, laugh at each other's mistakes. And if you want to play two voices, to build you own skills, then you can practice your thing, too. Meet after church, call it "Stay and Play". After a while, play for "Guitar Sunday", like in August. It's a blast. For hundred's of years, the guitar was a 'poor man's keyboard', this is not so far-fetched.

Cheers,

Kevin
Kevin Collins, Amherst, Mass, USA All rights reserved.

Chris Davis

Post by Chris Davis » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:01 am

Brynmor wrote:
jazz girl wrote:I would like to transcribe some music (hymns) onto one stave so that it's easier to read and I need some software to write it all down.

Finale Notepad will do what you want and it's free!
Finale note pad is good and free. it does have limitations: can't change keys, also you can't edit the appearance much. Full fledged finale lets you move notes around, extend stems, whatever to make it clearer.

I would check out notepad, it might be what you need. But a open source, freeware application might be much more feature rich (and help you make your arrangements look more pretty).

Good luck!
-CD

jazz girl

Post by jazz girl » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:08 am

KevinCollins wrote:Then, how about some quartets, jazz girl?

Simple enough -- open a Bach Chorale or four-part hymn in the software, put it all in guitar staff (tenor clef) and hand it out to a group. I used to do this for the old guitar society, for sight-reading. Builds confidence, gets them accustomed to playing (and hearing) individual lines or voices, and involves everyone, at every level (even alto's have fun). Book One-level players and advanced get to play together, laugh at each other's mistakes. And if you want to play two voices, to build you own skills, then you can practice your thing, too. Meet after church, call it "Stay and Play". After a while, play for "Guitar Sunday", like in August. It's a blast. For hundred's of years, the guitar was a 'poor man's keyboard', this is not so far-fetched.

Cheers,

Kevin
Why did I not think of that! I'm teaching three youngsters who all have classical guitars and that would be brilliant.

Thank you so much for that suggestion - the majority of hymns are all in four part harmony. You are my hero!

yus_adila

Post by yus_adila » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:32 pm

i've been using sibelius software to transcribe music. it's an easy to use and not to technical. i suggest you to try the latest edition sibelius 5. its interesting!

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:25 pm

Sibelius is brilliant - but very expensive. I bought it because I do a lot of arranging, but I think you have to be pretty serious about it to want to pay so much.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Return to “Composers' Workshop”