Music Notation Program?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Sueño

Music Notation Program?

Post by Sueño » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:37 pm

Hello!

I write some of my music on paper and the rest I only memorize it because it is a bit too long to write down and I have to make my own clef, since I haven't found any Pentagram paper. But I was wondering if there is a program or what program some of you great people use to write your music on. I would like to have one so it would be easy to keep track of studies and songs etc...

I noticed all of my music sheet is in a pdf format, so I suppose this programs are designed to be able to save the works in for acrobat reader.

thanks for the help!

Paul

Re: Music Notation Program?

Post by Paul » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:06 pm

I would use Finale Notepad. It is free. There are also other programs which people may recommend to you. You can also install PDFCreator. When you print from Finale you choose the PDFCreator printer and it will create a pdf of your music. The one problem with PDFCreator is that it doesn't work very well with Windows Vista.

Paul

Temporary Saint

Post by Temporary Saint » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:55 pm

Do a forum serach for Notation Software. You'll get plenty of reviews on many notation apps.

Steve
8{I
Endeavor to be unique. Everyone else does.

sesto

Post by sesto » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:31 pm

Finale is a good program. You can insert music with PC or with a MIDI keyboard. You can listen to the music you wrote and create PDF and do many other things (transpose, insert TAB, guitar chords etc.)

KevinCollins

Post by KevinCollins » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:54 pm

I vote for Finale Notepad. If you are interested in getting stuff on paper, you can plug in a pitch-to-midi converter and play directly into Notepad. Or you can type notes on the computer keyboard. Or plug a piano keyboard in. Or click notes with the mouse. And, you can import midi files that you think you might like to play and open them in standard notation. Lots of cool stuff.

I use Finale, the powerful notation software, and, if you have an extra $275 around, go for it. You have to understand music notation to write music notation on the computer. The software is not a work-around to learning notation. And there is a steep learning curve. Try Notepad first. It has everything you will need for quite a while.

Finale NotePad® 2008
http://www.finalemusic.com/notepad/

Regarding input devices, this fellow seems to know what he's talking about:
MIDI Guitar Showcase
http://home.epix.net/~joelc/git_show.html

Sueño, this is your Uncle Kevin speaking and he says, time at the computer is time away from the guitar.

Remember what your Uncle Kevin said, okay?

Cheers,

Kevin
Kevin Collins, Amherst, Mass, USA All rights reserved.

Catire

Post by Catire » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:04 am

barrigudo wrote:I would use Finale Notepad. It is free. There are also other programs which people may recommend to you. You can also install PDFCreator. When you print from Finale you choose the PDFCreator printer and it will create a pdf of your music. The one problem with PDFCreator is that it doesn't work very well with Windows Vista.

Paul
CutePDF Writer works well with Vista.
"Can it be there was only one summer when I was ten years old?"

Sueño

Post by Sueño » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:12 am

Hello!

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I think Notepad is very good, although I don't seem to find a way to save the documents as pdf so I can read them in adobe. It is still very good.

Thank you everyone

Josue

Diego

Post by Diego » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:50 am

Hey there. Well i still haven't tried Finale 2008 so i don't know if it has the save .pdf option. It might have it as the horrible Guitar "PRO" 5 can save the tabs and music in pdf. If you want to have the music and tab try Guitar Pro, you can also make pdf with only the music but it's a pain in the butt to have to select the note value and then press in the fingerboard. As i say Finale 2008 might be able to save PDF files.
If not try Sibelius i had an old version and it was pretty good.
And then you can also check Encore. As far as i know it doesn't allow you to save PDF. But it's very simple to use.

And i support the pdf creator you can use that thing with music notation software, MS word etc.

Hope this helps in any way.
Go Confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. H.D. Thoreau

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:42 am

Sueño wrote:Hello!

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I think Notepad is very good, although I don't seem to find a way to save the documents as pdf so I can read them in adobe. It is still very good.

Thank you everyone

Josue
Finale doesn't save to pdf. You first need to install another program to do that.

1) Install CutePDF, as catire recommended.

When you want to save some music as a pdf you need to do the following.

2) Open your music in Finale
3) Click on File and Print
4) Choose "CutePDF Writer" from the list of printers and then click "Print".
5) Choose a filename and a place to save the file.

You will now have a pdf of your music.

Paul

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:45 am

Catire wrote:
barrigudo wrote:I would use Finale Notepad. It is free. There are also other programs which people may recommend to you. You can also install PDFCreator. When you print from Finale you choose the PDFCreator printer and it will create a pdf of your music. The one problem with PDFCreator is that it doesn't work very well with Windows Vista.

Paul
CutePDF Writer works well with Vista.
Thanks for that. I tried it. It works.

Cheers,

Paul

Sean

Post by Sean » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:42 am

MusEdit.

KevinCollins

Post by KevinCollins » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:59 pm

63Sean wrote:MusEdit.
I always check out what Sean has to say. MusEdit looks very promising and, as soon as it is ported to Mac, I will definitely try it.

You may have noticed that all of the documents in the Delcamp catalogue are in a Finale format. Finale seems more universally accepted and the skills I learn in Notepad are transferable to Finale Senior. As it is cross-platform, I can share my files with PC or Mac users.

A big complaint of Finale users is the learning curve. For this reason, many people go to Sibelius -- cheaper and faster to learn. But as an entry level notation solution, Notepad looks just challenging enough, like Mario Brothers 1.0. And if I decide to go pro, I can open my Notepad .mus files in the big guy.

I see that MusEdit is in the Amiga file format, a venerable and respected name. The Amiga is a great machine for sound and graphics, we had one at our community TV station for titling, it is probably still in use. If Sean says it's okay, it must be okay.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Collins, Amherst, Mass, USA All rights reserved.

Sueño

Post by Sueño » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:12 pm

barrigudo wrote:
Sueño wrote:Hello!

Thank you everyone

Josue
Finale doesn't save to pdf. You first need to install another program to do that.

1) Install CutePDF, as catire recommended.

When you want to save some music as a pdf you need to do the following.

2) Open your music in Finale
3) Click on File and Print
4) Choose "CutePDF Writer" from the list of printers and then click "Print".
5) Choose a filename and a place to save the file.

You will now have a pdf of your music.

Paul

Thank you barrigudo!

I did every step you typed and it worked, now I will be able to print and keep my works :)

thanks!

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:22 pm

KevinCollins wrote:A big complaint of Finale users is the learning curve. For this reason, many people go to Sibelius -- cheaper and faster to learn. But as an entry level notation solution, Notepad looks just challenging enough, like Mario Brothers 1.0. And if I decide to go pro, I can open my Notepad .mus files in the big guy.
I used to think Finale had a steep learning curve till I used LilyPond.

My biggest complaint about Finale is that there is no backwards compatibility (I speak under correction as they may have corrected this by now). If you have Finale 2008 and I have 2006 and you send me a piece, I can't open it. You also can't save a file as an older Finale version either, something one can do in MS Office for example. Thank heavens for their free Notepad for opening the latest files, but it doesn't help if you're collaborating with someone who has a different version to you. I guess they can sell more Finale upgrades this way. Other than that it's absolutely fantastic.

Paul

flameproof

Finale Notepad Question

Post by flameproof » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:48 am

I downloaded Finale Notepad to give it a whirl, it's not bad at all. But does anyone know how I can remove the "instrument name" from the score?

(I just know this is a dumb question, there's probably a big button saying "remove instrument name" right before my very eyes.)

Return to “Composers' Workshop”