Music Notation Program?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
sesto

Re: Finale Notepad Question

Post by sesto » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:04 pm

flameproof wrote:I downloaded Finale Notepad to give it a whirl, it's not bad at all. But does anyone know how I can remove the "instrument name" from the score?

(I just know this is a dumb question, there's probably a big button saying "remove instrument name" right before my very eyes.)
With Finale (not Notepad version, but I think it's the same) you have to select text icon ("A"), select the handle near the name and delete it with delete button.

flameproof

Post by flameproof » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:26 pm

sesto wrote:With Finale (not Notepad version, but I think it's the same) you have to select text icon ("A"), select the handle near the name and delete it with delete button.
Thanks sesto -- that is indeed how it works in NotePad for every text element (title, composer, etc.)
...except for the instrument name!

KevinCollins

Re: Music Notation Program?

Post by KevinCollins » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:58 pm

That is one of my complaints about Finale, fp, you can't tell what the screen text is connected to.

In Finale, in the case of Staff Names, the name of the staff is under the Staff function. If you click on that tool with the clef sign, and click on the little button on the top left corner of the staff, a window for that staff will open called Staff Attributes, revealing the options for that staff, including Items to Display, turn off the Staff Name button.

You may also Edit the Staff Name to an empty field, that will disappear it.

Bit as I look at Notepad, the Staff button is missing. As the name suggests, it is good for certain things. For preparing scores, you will need to bite the bullet and buy the sucker. But for what the original poster was asking, Notepad is enough. Sorry if I gave the impression Notepad was full- featured, I will look closer next time. If you know someone who owns it, maybe they can help you out... just to demo the program.

Cheers,

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by KevinCollins on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Collins, Amherst, Mass, USA All rights reserved.

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:10 pm

flameproof wrote:
sesto wrote:With Finale (not Notepad version, but I think it's the same) you have to select text icon ("A"), select the handle near the name and delete it with delete button.
Thanks sesto -- that is indeed how it works in NotePad for every text element (title, composer, etc.)
...except for the instrument name!
Notepad is FREE. It doesn't do everything. The full version does everything, but costs $$$$$.

Paul

flameproof

Post by flameproof » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:11 pm

Kevin, thanks for your help and kind offer -- unfortunately, I believe barrigudo is right (thanks too to barrigudo and sesto) -- NotePad is significantly trimmed down: NotePad's "MAIN" palette contains eight items (yours has nearly 30); one of them isn't "STAFF"! Never mind, I like the look of it enough that I might stump up the money for the full gizmo-wotsit.

[EDIT: Scratch that, for $325 (that's if I could scrape in as an "academic" (laughs to himself)) / $500 (otherwise) I might just find a work-around]

As for steep learning curves, every piece of notation software that I have tried has been similarly flawed -- user-interfaces aren't their strong point, obviously.

KevinCollins

Post by KevinCollins » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:00 pm

flameproof wrote:that's if I could scrape in as an "academic" (laughs to himself)
Got mine on e*B*a*y, the price actually went down.

FINALE 2009 - MUSIC NOTATION SOFTWARE - NEW - FAST SHIP ... This seller accepts PayPal ... Buy It Now ... $208.50 ... Free Shipping

If they ask, type up your own letterhead, The Flameproof Academy of Music and Dance.

However, for someone like me, it's tax deductible, amortized and depreciated. And I use it every day, all day long. But I know that for a lover of music, it is, well, more than you need. For the purposes of the original poster, Notepad is... enough.

Cheers,

Kevin
Last edited by KevinCollins on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin Collins, Amherst, Mass, USA All rights reserved.

flameproof

Post by flameproof » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:13 pm

KevinCollins wrote: The Flameproof Academy of Music and Dance.
Have you seen me dance?

~~~

Imagine a cool crystal clear stream gliding down a pleasant green hillside, gracefully curving here, joyfully bubbling there and flamboyantly pirouhetting just over to one side.

~~~

Now imagine a clumsy frog carrying a house-brick trying to swim across that stream.

~~~

That's me dancing.

jack_gvr

Post by jack_gvr » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:27 am

KevinCollins wrote:
63Sean wrote:MusEdit.
I always check out what Sean has to say. MusEdit looks very promising and, as soon as it is ported to Mac, I will definitely try it.
MusEdit will probably be ported to the Mac about the time that hell freezes over. I have this from the guy who programmed it. It was built on a Windows Midi toolkit and won't port without re-writing, I think is the deal. But I for one am curious to know if anybody has used it successfully on the Mac with one of the Windows on the Mac second layer programs, or on Wine.
KevinCollins wrote: I see that MusEdit is in the Amiga file format, a venerable and respected name. The Amiga is a great machine for sound and graphics, we had one at our community TV station for titling, it is probably still in use.
I think this is a misunderstanding. MusEdit is and always was a Windows program since it came out in '97. I'd be very surprised to hear that it ever ran on the Amiga. Or perhaps that was a little funny dig at its archaic properties? and I have no such subtle sense of humor? MusEdit just recently got upgraded again, by the way. When you buy it you get lifetime free upgrades.
KevinCollins wrote:If Sean says it's okay, it must be okay. Kevin
It is, however, not only OK, but from my POV a wonderful program and mostly a delight to work with, aside from a few little quirks that I have learned to work around. However, it's a nerd's program and is neither for "intuitive" types or for anybody who doesn't know notation well, because it has no clever provisions to protect the occasional chimpanzee user from writing meaningless nonsense or to make them appear intelligent by producing its own notation. Yes, it will translate TAB to notation, but you still have to be able to proofread it. One thing it doesn't do is make you put an instrument name in front of your first staff. "Guitar:" (duh.) There are very few cast-iron defaults - except that there is only one staff notation font. (For text you can use any font you have.)

Anybody who has MusEdit and has questions about how to do this or that can PM me.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”