What notation software does MR. Delcamp use?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Olarte

What notation software does MR. Delcamp use?

Post by Olarte » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:45 pm

Does anyone know what type of Notation software Mr. Delcamp uses?

Right now I'm using musedit and like it a lot.

I was also looking to scan PDF files for use on musedit but all the scan to Music packages seem a bit too expensive.

Azalais

Re: What notation software does MR. Delcamp use?

Post by Azalais » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:35 pm

I think that he uses Finale, but I'm not certain which version it is now.

David

Post by David » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:10 am

Yes, it is Finale. There's a free version available, called Notepad.

There have been several threads on Notation software that might be worth visiting as well, try here first & then maybe search on Finale, Sibelius, etc.
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein

Chris Davis

Post by Chris Davis » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:54 am

Kampret wrote:Yes, it is Finale. There's a free version available, called Notepad.

There have been several threads on Notation software that might be worth visiting as well, try here first & then maybe search on Finale, Sibelius, etc.
Notepad isn't free anymore! At least the latest version isn't. $10 or something like that.

astumori

Post by astumori » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:21 pm

Actually it is free, you can download it off their web site, and they give you a software key. Also you can download the newest or the older versions.

cheers

astumori

Post by astumori » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:26 pm

I am incorrect! My apologies. Just a 2 months ago it was free, and now it is not. Only finale reader is. At any rate you could use lilypond it is free and open source.

Olarte

Post by Olarte » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:55 pm

I was actually curious more than anything else. I like the output of the Delcamp scores.

However I invested in Musedit at 59$ US you can't go wrong. It has a bit of a learning curve but that is because it's so versatile and it is specifically geared towards Guitar.

It comes with a 290 page manual and the author is very responsive to questions, & support. :D

I was also looking to scan printed music into a format that could be used to edit with musedit etc... but the scans of the demos I tried scoresmart, etc... were very inacurate and the programs quite pricey! :|

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:22 pm

olarte wrote:I was also looking to scan printed music into a format that could be used to edit with musedit etc... but the scans of the demos I tried scoresmart, etc... were very inacurate and the programs quite pricey!
PhotoScore 5 is pretty good, but pricey. There is also an open source music scanning program, Audiveris https://audiveris.dev.java.net/. I don't know how good this is, but for free I guess it's worth a try.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Olarte

Post by Olarte » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:35 pm

pogmoor wrote:
There is also an open source music scanning program, Audiveris https://audiveris.dev.java.net/. I don't know how good this is, but for free I guess it's worth a try.
Thanks, I tried audiveris and like the others, though it does a pretty bad job of importing all the notes correctly. I guess it's a good start (free too) then it would need heavy manual editing... certainly not at the level of regular OCR software.

KevinCollins

Post by KevinCollins » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:54 pm

Yes, M. Delcamp uses Finale. It is the gold standard in music composition. Another way to go is Sibelius, I haven't tried it but it produces nice scores.

Re scanning, after trying the 'free solutions', I finally gave up and recently got Smartscore (Songbook Edition). It is expensive and required that I upgrade to Finale 2009 to import from xml, more money. But it means I am free to import any public domain pdf (piano, for example) and reduce it for guitar. I have also imported and transposed music from other instruments (like duets from the violin, clarinet, etc. and easy piano music, too) that I made into editions for my students.

I am still getting used to Smartscore but it is clean and simple to use. I have to break a hundred page book into about four pieces. I can take twelve separate documents (like Mozart 12 duets KV487) and scan them into one document, too. I seems to be very powerful in terms of manipulating documents.

Smartscore starts by converting the .pdf file into a .tif image file. It 'recognizes' the notation and creates an .enf file. It will then save the .enf to .xml and automatically open it in Finale where I save it to one of the Finale formats. The .xml conversion seems to work okay.

If you have a pdf you want to convert, send me a PM and we can try it out.

Cheers,

Kevin
Kevin Collins, Amherst, Mass, USA All rights reserved.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”