Notation software - how stable are the programs?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Paul

Re: Notation software - how stable are the programs?

Post by Paul » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:17 am

I was trying along the routes you suggested, but I hadn't got as far as working out how to change the spacing between notes. I'll have a longer look at the forum over the weekend. I must say I haven't played any other pieces which have chorded grace notes.

On the whole I was reasonably happy with my first time try at the program.

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:06 pm

Ha ha. I had a look at the MuseScore forum and someone with an earlier version of the program had the opposite problem to me. They wanted to add in multiple (consecutive) grace notes and couldn't stop them from being a chord. Anyway, I've posted a question and I'll wait for a reply.

flameproof

Post by flameproof » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:47 pm

Paul,

I notice from your posts on the MuseScore forum that your problem is still unresolved, and my best guess is that this is a bug with no workaround (other than using a PNG file to "patch" the score).

If you're working on something you'd like to finish and you are unable to create PNG files I'll happily do it (them) for you -- if so, just finish the score as best you can and then send me the .MSC/.MSCZ file.

Flamey

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:33 pm

Thanks for your kind offer, but not to worry. After seeing what you'd managed with MuseScore further up in this topic I thought it would be worth giving it a try, so I started capturing from the Tarrega piece. I'd like to see how MuseScore develops as I'm always keen to find something to replace Finale (great program, but with unnecessarily expensive annual updates). I find MuseScore easy enough to use so far, but I'll give it a proper run next time I really want to engrave a piece. I can live with work arounds up to a point. I'm going to keep an eye on the MuseScore forum for a while though.

Paul

JeremyNicoll

Post by JeremyNicoll » Wed May 06, 2009 2:18 pm

JeremyNicoll wrote:
jack_gvr wrote: (1) MusEdit is a single-programmer project, always has been, and always will be...

(2) It's a nerd's program...

So - as far as support goes, there is a printed manual, and the MusEdit website has tons of "how-to" material, plus there's the Yahoo group and the programmer himself...
All of that sounds fine. Thanks for writing so much in reply. I've found the yahoo group and will see if I can join it and read a few posts.
Well, I attempted to join, but it didn't work. Is the group by-invitation only?

Return to “Composers' Workshop”