Finale Notepad 2009

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Carl

Finale Notepad 2009

Post by Carl » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:58 pm

Edit...My bad - I meant to inquire about about Finale Notepad not the Finale full version software.

Thinking of getting this ($10) for notation. Has anyone downloaded this version and used it for guitar notation?
If so - how do you like it?
An older version I have (ver 2006) does not have a guitar instrument to select.

My needs are very basic right now in the way of score creation.
Last edited by Carl on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeremiah Lawson

Re: Finale 2009

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:22 pm

I've worked on dozens of guitar scores in Finale 2006. There's no TEMPLATE for it but you can build a custom template/score format using guitar and it works okay. I think you can use the text tool for left hand fingerings and the shape tool for string numbers if you're getting that far in left and right hand instructions.

It has been a couple of years since I used 2006 but look in the "plucked instruments" category and I think you should find a guitar.

Paul

Re: Finale Notepad 2009

Post by Paul » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:09 am

I just reinstalled Notepad 2006 (and also the 2005 version). There is definitely a guitar instrument to choose from when setting up a new score. Perhaps you need to reinstall it.

When running the Document Setup Wizard, Guitar is in the "Plucked Strings" section.

Cheers,

Paul

Jeremiah Lawson

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:19 am

Oh, sorry, I thought you were using Finale 2006 the full version. I can't help you on the other version. Even if you can't find the guitar specifically if you can select the treble clef the with 8 underneath you can edit the sounds on Playback to fit the guitar sound in midi if you really want the sound. I would hope even Notepad can let you do that but it seems like it would have the same option for plucked instruments.

Moderato

Post by Moderato » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:07 am

So I can download a software program for $10 that will allow me to piece together my own guitar arrangements with fingering & string notation?

Carl

Post by Carl » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:31 am

Moderato wrote:So I can download a software program for $10 that will allow me to piece together my own guitar arrangements with fingering & string notation?
That's what I'm wondering too :?:

Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:37 am

Finale Notepad used to be free up to the 2008 version so I have the versions from 2005 to 2008 and would have recommended those. I don't want to recommend the 2009 version because it costs money. All the versions are very similar so I imagine that the 2009 version will do exactly what the 2006 version does. There is a slight chance they've added (or taken away) some features since it's no longer free. Finale brings out a new version each year where they change the file format slightly so that the older versions can't open the new files, although the full version has an export to music xml function to slightly get around this.
Carl wrote:An older version I have (ver 2006) does not have a guitar instrument to select.
The problem you say you have with no guitar part in the 2006 version is definitely a problem with your installation because as you see from my post above ALL the versions have a guitar part, even the 2006 version.

However, I may be misunderstanding you. If you mean that the sound when you play back your score doesn't have a guitar sound then you are probably right. I think Notepad only uses the piano sound for playback.

If you are willing to pay $10 for the 2009 version the advantage you will have is that you can open and edit all Finale files up to that version which other people may send you. Other than that I believe you are wasting $10 since you already have the 2006 version.

Why not download the free 2009 Demo of Notepad which you can use for 30 days. If you are happy with it then pay the $10 and register it. If you aren't happy with it, unfortunately the 2006 version won't open the files you've created.

Cheers,

Paul

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:51 am

Paul wrote: I think Notepad only uses the piano sound for playback.
I have Notepad 2006 and 2007 and the instruments playback true, and not as piano. I don't know aboiut earlier versions.

The only things I can moan about with 2007 are that you can't edit bar sizes such that sometimes you get a huge stretched out bar across the last line. Also it doesn't make digital recordings - to record stuff you have to pick play and then use a microphone next to your speacker and record onto another thing - I use my camera- and then download it back onto the PC. I expect someone will now tell me that I could have done it more simply all these years. Also you can't change key within the middle of a piece by changing the key signature - you have to do it with accidentals. And the repeats don't work on playback. For recording purposes you have to make a "playback version" of your work with any repreated sections copied out in full. I don't know if any of these have gone away with 2009.

It used to be a fabulous freeby. Also the files it created were tiny - 24Kb or so - and easily added as an email attachment and sent to people who'd also downloaded the software. I used to have some composition pupils who sent in their homework by email in this way.

I'd certainly pay to get 2009 if I didn't already have 2007.
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__

Carl

Post by Carl » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:23 pm

Paul wrote: Why not download the free 2009 Demo of Notepad which you can use for 30 days. If you are happy with it then pay the $10 and register it. If you aren't happy with it, unfortunately the 2006 version won't open the files you've created.

Cheers,

Paul
Good Idea :D
That is what I will do - Thanks

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:01 pm

I believe the main difference between Finale NotePad 2009 and earlier versions is that F2009 will import and export Music XML. This is a music exchange format that is very good for importing/exporting arrangements to/from other compatible programs (such as Sibelius). But otherwise the functionality is much the same as the earlier free versions.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

David

Post by David » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:59 am

You can also try MuseScore, it's free & available from http://www.musescore.org/en
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein

Carl

Post by Carl » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:35 am

Kampret wrote:You can also try MuseScore, it's free & available from http://www.musescore.org/en
I tried this program last week and I found it more frustrating than useful. When I tried to edit text properties it went bonkers.
Many times it would change the text layout during the process - I think it has problems.

Elinfant09

Post by Elinfant09 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:34 pm

Do a Google search for Finale Notepad 2008. It has an amazing amount of features over previous versions, and is totally free forever. It should satisfy all your needs, allows for Guitar arranging on a regular staff or tablature. I wouldn't bother with Notepad 2009. They're charging for a half-baked piece of software, and that isn't right.

Edit: They hide the link to it pretty well anymore -- you have to register for an account if you haven't already, but here is a direct link: https://www.finalemusic.com/store/download.aspx?id=392

HotDog

Post by HotDog » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:13 am

This link requires registration too, but a google search works fine!

Dave the Great

Post by Dave the Great » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:47 pm

Elinfant09 wrote:Do a Google search for Finale Notepad 2008. It has an amazing amount of features over previous versions, and is totally free forever. It should satisfy all your needs, allows for Guitar arranging on a regular staff or tablature...
Thanks for the info. I found the 2008 free version and tried it out.

I like that you can have both a regular staff and a tab staff, but I wish it was developed a little further. For instance, if you add notes to the regular staff, I wish they would appear on the tab staff and vice versa. Also, entering the notes on the tab doesn't seem that easy. You need to click then enter a letter on the keyboard for the number of the fret - so a would be 1, b 2, c 3, etc. - I wish you could just click on the string and hit the name of the note and it would out the fret number, e.g. put the note on the e string then hit a and it would put a 5.

2009 does look like it has added features, but it doesn't look like they have improved the guitar sections.

Thanks for the info.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”