notation software -which to use

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
BalO

Post by BalO » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:00 pm

Sorry for being stupid, but computers isn´t my stuff, What are these softwares you are talking about?

billb

Post by billb » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:13 am

Well Balo, you know the transcription of Malaguena that I did. To make it I used a music notation software.

It is a software that allows you make a sheet of music.

It let's you type in the notes and symbols. some of them have tablature and other options.

Some are basic and restricting. Where as, some give you the freedom to write whatever piece of music you want to write.

Some of them also have midi, which plays back your music so you can hear what it sounds like.

There are many to choose from. Many people use guitar pro or finale or...etc

I have tried them and found they were limited when I transcribed the Albeniz piece.

I would recommend music publisher. It is easy to use and allows you total freedom. It also comes with a very helpful tutorial.

There you go.

BalO

Post by BalO » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:51 pm

Oh thanx BillB i appriciate your help!

Anonymous

Software

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:41 pm

I have been working with Guitar Pro 4 and thus far I have had few problems. It takes a while to get used to these things. Someday when I have the money I will get a program that works better, maybe not easier, but better.

I have too many songs written in .gp4 to swich over at this point.

Matt

cconsaul

Post by cconsaul » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:36 pm

I'm amazed what is available in the GP4 format and have considered taking a look at it. I just picked up Sibelius though and have to get familier with that first. I'm getting quite a collection of files for guitar pro however and they are very compact. They are way ahead of Finale and Sibelius scorch in that regard.

hav

Post by hav » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:02 pm

Hey Bill - yes - I think I still prefer lillypond, but, without a graphical data entry/edit tool, it is SURELY a pain in the ARSE!!

http://www.lilypond.org/

Example score:
http://www.hav.com/junk/scores/Vallas_P ... av73-1.pdf

I have seen ref's to NoteEdit as a gui for lillypond but have not found a downloadable version that I can get to work

Anonymous

Guitar Pro

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:22 pm

The one thing I really don't like about Guitar Pro is that the Tab is on top of the regular sheet music. It just feels backwards.

cconsaul

Haven't found a way to flip it yet

Post by cconsaul » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:48 pm

There's another program called Tabledit that puts standard notation on top and tab on the bottom. I haven't played with it as much because I haven't found as many score available, but it is definately out there and similarin a lot of ways.

Anonymous

Notation Software

Post by Anonymous » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:17 am

I've tried TablEdit but there are many more features with Guitar Pro.

Just bought it online, I've been using a demo version but it won't let you print.

Matt

anathem

Post by anathem » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:39 am

tabledit is a little outdated and as for guitar pro this is a very good program it just gets a little getting used to it.i transpose my sheets into tab and post some from time to time on mysongbook.com it is veryu useful you can put every single aspect of a sheet into it plus get good midis.and for sibeliu i don't know what it i or where can i get it-i think it' buyable online?

Anonymous

Software

Post by Anonymous » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:43 pm

Yes, you can purchase Guitar Pro online and it is not terribly expensive.

Russell

Edit programmes

Post by Russell » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:42 am

Not being an expert in these programmes. I do wonder what the difference is between Guitar Pro and TablEdit ? and even the free Powertab. They all seem similar.
Right now I prefer the TablEdit and wonder why the Guitar Pro is more expensive. Perhaps it is more polished.

Anyhow, between these three systems you can export and import to and from each other via midi with no problem, thus are able to print (even a demo) in any of the three applications, if you want to take the time. (Usually just a few minutes).

Now if only I could practise more instead of learning to play software :roll:

Happy practising then, :casque:

Russ

Anonymous

Software

Post by Anonymous » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:31 pm

Guitar Pro has more tools than TableEdit for example.

I get a better experience with Guitar Pro and I used to use TableEdit. For example I composed and wrote a solo last night and GP was great for that task.

Matt

cconsaul

Pondering

Post by cconsaul » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:05 pm

I wasn't recommending one over the other, merely commenting that Tabledit puts the tablature beneath. It is interesting to learn about others experiances with both programs however. I would be interested in playing with something that would facilitate my fantasy instrument (A five string guitar and I haven't had it built yet)

I would also be interested in experimenting with violin tablature, but realize that they finger diatonically and don't know how that would affect the way it is notated, expecially with the one downs and the two downs ect.

Anonymous

Tab software

Post by Anonymous » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:29 pm

Thats beyond me... I'm just a simple classical guitar guy.

Matt

Return to “Composers' Workshop”